AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still can't decide what to try out to achieve a correct AKM semi gloss black finish. Molyresin semi gloss was what I planned to go for, then I noticed that Gun-Kote comes in a spray can, making things much easier. And it has very nice video instructions that make the process seem incredibly easy.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... spx?p=1150

But they don't have semi gloss.

Is there anyway to create the paint over park effect without actually parkarizing? Perhaps a coat of flat gray, and then semi gloss black?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I would park it first. It really gives the final finish something to
adhere to. Someone may know of a suitable option, but thats
the accepted method.

The HK Black from Gunkote should be close to the desired semi
gloss. I think it looks good on AKs, but thats a matter of opinion.

And, the Moly Reisen finish is a damn good one also. I dont know
which I like better between the two.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Keep in mind that over the 18 years of Russian AKM production the finish has probably had several variations. So just because your finish is not identical to the Russian parts you are using for comparision doesn't mean that its not correct.

Gunkoat over parkerizing is one of the most durable finishes you can apply to a rifle. There have been numerous posts on the forum that if you plan to use GunKoat without parking, you need to sand blast the parts or for sure not, polish or bead blast them first, the GunKoat needs a somewhat rough surface to adhere too. Also, if you contact GunKoat directly, they were offering a color called AK Black. It was not listed on the web site you had to call and ask for it. Several forum members have tried it and posted results, search the forum for "AK Black" and see if you can find it. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
jithaca said:
Keep in mind that over the 18 years of Russian AKM production the finish has probably had several variations. So just because your finish is not identical to the Russian parts you are using for comparision doesn't mean that its not correct.

Gunkoat over parkerizing is one of the most durable finishes you can apply to a rifle. There have been numerous posts on the forum that if you plan to use GunKoat without parking, you need to sand blast the parts or for sure not, polish or bead blast them first, the GunKoat needs a somewhat rough surface to adhere too. Also, if you contact GunKoat directly, they were offering a color called AK Black. It was not listed on the web site you had to call and ask for it. Several forum members have tried it and posted results, search the forum for "AK Black" and see if you can find it. Good luck with the project.
+1

I use Gunkote on all my projects now. Especially AK Black. You need to call or email Chris or Joe Fazio to get it. You don't be disappointed. Matter of fact I just received another Quart of AK-Black on Thursday.

moly-resin - applies too thick and I can't get the color to match with original parts pieces. Love moly resin on other weapons - hate it on AK's.

If you only have 1 AK to do. I suggest sending it to a pro or find someone in the area to give you a hand/has the equipment. You really want to paint over park. Or in the very least Blast - > K-Phos (another gunkote product with the same properties as phosphate) -> spray the gunkote.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your insights gentlemen, much appreciated.

The reason I want Gun Kote is because Brownells makes it in a spray can. Is AK black available in that form by any chance?

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
ancorp said:
.......... Is AK black available in that form by any chance?

Nope!

I have had excellent results with the Gloss Black in the aerosol.

Hootbro

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Stottman said:
A Friend used semi gloss Moly Resin on a couple of my builds today.

It was an almost exact match for my 1983 Tula AKSU parts, as well as my Hungarian SA-85M that we converted into an AKM-63.

You know we all want to see these builds as you get them done..Stottman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I'm thinking that gloss black would be too shiny? I remember reading that you can adjust how shiny/matte the paint turns out, if you preheat the parts?

Hootbro - any pictures of the results?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
As others have said... you really want GunKote. And I think you REALLY want the real deal from KG... not the stuff in spray cans. See...
https://www.kgcoatings.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=26

My PERSONAL favorite is the 1600 Teflon Series - though I also use the 2400 series. In this series, 1600F (Flat) is actually a Matte Black. 1600S (Satin) is more of a gloss. 1600F is very good for general work - here are two '74s. LOWER shot is 1600F, UPPER is MolyResin:

1600S is more suited to Hungarians - pretty glossy, but a bit blacker. Here is a Tantal done in 1600S:

Park is best for a base coat... but if you just can't do this? Consider KPHOS from KG. The stuff works VERY well, and I use it on most everything now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Trotsky, I've seen your pictures during a search earlier, look great! But I am quite determined upon the aerosol cans for now. Is there anyway to make the flat a bit more glossy, and vise-versa?

And does anyone have any pictures of the results of the stuff from the spray can?

Thanks,
Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts