AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
guns yes.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those that have changed the markings on a trunnion, what method is recommended?
I could mill off the existing marking, but it would make the visible upper surface of the trunnion slightly recessed than the receiver. The other way I figure is to weld up any deep roll marks and grind it smooth before etching, but I suppose there is the possibility of the asymmetric intense heating to warp areas of it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
while i have not done any this type work, i think welding might be not the best method. heat might change trunnion heat-treatment and it's awfully close to one of the locking recesses.

actually i'm in the similar boat having not original trunnion wanting to match to the rest of the gun. i personally thought long and hard about it long enough at this point that i think that mismatched trunnion is not a big thing. also i have a AK that has been 'blanked' by milling away old marks and re-stmaped and i don't like the way it looks. granted they didn't d it all that well (actually factory done on one of my saigas) but i hate the way it looks.

·
Technical Advisor
15,606 Posts
Most trunnion markings are quite shallow at .003-.005" deep.
Milling them away is not particularly noticeable.
Filing a radius on the side of the upper edge of the trunnion helps adjusting the contour to original look.

The actual replacement etching, stamping or engraving work to properly match the original of the country of origin is the single most difficult part to get correct.

·
Registered
guns yes.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I get ya. I was planning on doing many many dry runs on scrap before the big game. Thanks for the advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts