AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about to order some finish for my builds and to re-finish one of my other AKs. I'm stuck between MolyResin and Gun-Kote. Any benefits from either? KGCoatings has some K-PHOS stuff also on their website. I'm going to be sandblasting them first. I don't have park'ing equipment so would K-PHOS or Jasco be a good idea on top of the blasting? Any input would be helpful.

Oh and thanks for the new board krinkfreak! :grin:

-St

ETA: Gun-Kote also comes in two versions 2400 and 1600. What do you use and why?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've used KPHOS over steel in the white before - it works. Now, if you have the time? A base OxphoBlue treatment also works well. CLEAN with brake cleaner & acetone after using OB, then KPHOS over this...

Why? Well, KPHOS works well over bare metal - it etches, but it also promotes adhesion. It won't etch much over OB, but the adhesion increases. AND - if you DO bang you gun into a rock? Well, now there is blackened metal under the GK - not shiny stuff.

Note - the OB job doesn't even need to be that perfect... it's just a base.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have used the gun-kote , and depending on what type of finish you are going for - flat , gloss, semi-gloss , i like the gun-kote , the flat's are more user friendly , as they tend to hide imperfections better - the semi-gloss is a little trickier , as over spray , and runs will show up alot more - best to use a airbrush - but spray can will work too- you will just have a harder time getting a thin coat on with a spray can.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Where can I get some K-Phos? I found their website to order it, but I was wondering if one of our favorite vendors stock it. That way I can order some other goodies while I'm at it. TIA

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I blast with aluminum oxide. I use to before I bought my park setup use K-PHOS. The stuff works well. I now Blast -> park -> Rinse - > oven to heat -> gunkote -GO VERY LIGHT with your airbrush or gunkote gets very SHINEY. I learned the hardway. Light sprays :wink:

Brownells has gunkote products (great discount for CR holders) as does KG metal industries.

I recommend them both.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SixM said:
Where can I get some K-Phos? I found their website to order it, but I was wondering if one of our favorite vendors stock it. That way I can order some other goodies while I'm at it. TIA
I've only been able to find it at KGCoatings website. I'm going to go ahead and order it along with my Gun-Kote. Only $7 shipping for a quart of Gun-Kote and 16 ounces of K-Phos. Not too bad considering it's ORMD. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
SIGthusiast said:
SixM said:
I've only been able to find it at KGCoatings website. I'm going to go ahead and order it along with my Gun-Kote. Only $7 shipping for a quart of Gun-Kote and 16 ounces of K-Phos. Not too bad considering it's ORMD. Thanks for all the info guys.
KG is a very faster shipper as well. gets my a+++ :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts