AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently there was some discussion about the so called high prices that Russian SVD's were bringing. I personally understand the value of those and the prices they bring, thinking the criticizers as just being tight wads. But I guess I have just joined the tight wad bitch and complain about high prices bunch so prevalent on this forum with the auction going on here!

As much as a SVD recently with 3 days left in the auction it's at over $12,000.00 for a bolt action rifle - Guess I should now state how pissed off I am that people are ruining this hobby for the sake of profiteering and more dribble like that "insert here". lol

What freaks me is that it has "CENTURY ARMS IMPORT MARK" WOW WTF!

Rare Finnish SAT M91 Mosin Nagant : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Probally some guy just paid 99.99 for that thing - now that is price inflation. Think how stupid Century must feel they let this one slip by. I see this thing bringing up all M91's now to at least 5k each?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently there was some discussion about the so called high prices that Russian SVD's were bringing. I personally understand the value of those and the prices they bring, thinking the criticizers as just being tight wads. But I guess I have just joined the tight wad bitch and complain about high prices bunch so prevalent on this forum with the auction going on here!

As much as a SVD recently with 3 days left in the auction it's at over $12,000.00 for a bolt action rifle - Guess I should now state how pissed off I am that people are ruining this hobby for the sake of profiteering and more dribble like that "insert here". lol

What freaks me is that it has "CENTURY ARMS IMPORT MARK" WOW WTF!

Rare Finnish SAT M91 Mosin Nagant : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Probally some guy just paid 99.99 for that thing - now that is price inflation. Think how stupid Century must feel they let this one slip by. I see this thing bringing up all M91's now to at least 5k each?
If I recall, there was a former Century head honcho that had retired and mentioned he was going to be selling off some of his collection to fund a retirement. This might be one of them. The seller is based out of Vermont. Also, this is gun 72 out of only 200 made at that factory. Factor in losses during the war, there may be just a handful in existence. How nice it must have been to have the first chance to inspect all the incoming rifles over the year and have the opportunity to cherry pick ones like this.

Like you, I am more concerned about the fact that the price on a basic mosin has been creeping up. I bought my first for $65.

Matt

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
It has been for a long time. All nice and large collections are in rich peoples hands.

Wow! Over 12 grand for a mosin.

This hobby is starting to become a rich mans hobby.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
$12,000 for a Mosin? From Century? I only paid $140 for mine.

Seeing that they're starting to be $200 now...wow. I'm fairly sure this bidder smokes rocks.

I feel like I don't want to buy another firearm again after seeing that one! :chair:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not your average Mosin, its a Finnish SAT M91, with only 2 in a existence left. The seller is a former Century Employee that he hand-pick Mosin rifles for himself.
This rifle value would only go up cause is the holy grail of any Finnish Mosin collector. Dont be surprised if it pass the $15k or even $20k.
Like the other member said, he sells them one at time to fund his retirement. Personally i think, he didnt pay more than $10-$20 per rifle in the 90's.
here is a list of his previous auctions
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed/BCI.aspx?Timeframe=1&IncludeSellers=502533

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I bought the single shot trainer off of the seller, who does work for CAI, but isn't one of the big wheels. He is selling just part of his collection as he prepares to retire and move.

Nice rifle and uber rare. This rifle is in several books (as is the one i bought off of him) I tried to buy the Romanian off GB, but it left my zip code in the final 20 minutes.

Reactions: Cknarf

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
More ridiculousness.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Not your average Mosin, its a Finnish SAT M91, with only 2 in a existence left. The seller is a former Century Employee that he hand-pick Mosin rifles for himself.
This rifle value would only go up cause is the holy grail of any Finnish Mosin collector. Dont be surprised if it pass the $15k or even $20k.
Like the other member said, he sells them one at time to fund his retirement. Personally i think, he didnt pay more than $10-$20 per rifle in the 90's.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Timeframe=1&IncludeSellers=502533
And that's why I only buy shooters. I leave collecting to the rich guys.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good for that guy. He probably worked his ass off for minimum wage stacking, sorting, and logging Nagants and was smart enough to recognize special variations.

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
I've never had a problem with rare gems like this commanding the prices they do. Its all about rare variations, how many are known, and what condition they are in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought the single shot trainer off of the seller, who does work for CAI, but isn't one of the big wheels. He is selling just part of his collection as he prepares to retire and move.

Nice rifle and uber rare. This rifle is in several books (as is the one i bought off of him) I tried to buy the Romanian off GB, but it left my zip code in the final 20 minutes.
MT:

Do you have a link to Steve's auction of the Romanian 91/30? I'd appreciate seeing it if you or anyone else can post it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
I feel lucky just being able to look at something like that. holy shit

·
Registered
679 Posts
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Timeframe=1&IncludeSellers=502533

That sounds VERY ethical.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I've never had a problem with rare gems like this commanding the prices they do. Its all about rare variations, how many are known, and what condition they are in.
That's exactly my sentiments as well. Only 200 made and only 2 in the country, what do you expect?

Gotta give the guy credit though. He seen a opportunity and took it. Having to hand pick through stacks of rifles for your own collection? Hell, I don't know anybody that wouldn't have.
Seriously, I don't see how this is unethical/bad form. It wasn't long ago you could get a crate of Mosin's for $600... I can't imagine how cheap they were in the early 90's when this guy got most of his stuff. I doubt people cared as much back then about the rare ones, otherwise I bet his boss would have been the one cherry picking them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
That's exactly my sentiments as well. Only 200 made and only 2 in the country, what do you expect?

Seriously, I don't see how this is unethical/bad form. It wasn't long ago you could get a crate of Mosin's for $600... I can't imagine how cheap they were in the early 90's when this guy got most of his stuff. I doubt people cared as much back then about the rare ones, otherwise I bet his boss would have been the one cherry picking them.
Agreed, I figure as long as he paid Century whatever they were asking for (minus the usual employee discount, if any) the rifles at the time, why would Century have cared, to them its another rifle sold and profit made? Back in the 90's they were stacking these like fire wood, and were priced accordingly, with no concern over model/date/rarity... practically NO ONE CARED about these rifles - beyond their ability to fling bullets - at that time.

Bringing these in by the near-millions is what made so many people interested, and some start collecting, and a few start serious collecting. Just so happened he started 'collecting' first.

That being said, for $10 grand, I would rather "collect" a machine gun or a ton of ammo. Personally I have no interest in owning collections, but I do enjoy looking at other peoples collections, play with them, and give em back to the owners (much like pets and kids actually).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts