AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bulgy sub forum is dead (As with a lot of other subforums) so I thought I would post this here. I remember seeing members post about these mags years ago. It seems someone is selling a few of them. Rarest Bulgy Circle 10 AK Waffle Mag Set, Complete : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com I thought I remember people on here saying they were sold by a guy who went by "chief". If anybody has the full backstory on these please post it up. These mags came from a different era of collecting I was too young to be a part of.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I remember the whole story completely. I dealt with the Chief FTF at few Bulletfest even.

Originally he was just the importer and the mags were sold thru one of his service pals at Three River Arms (I believe that was the name, no relation to Two Rivers Arms here). The guy's wife thought the gun business wouldn't support them financially and made him quit and reenlist. This left the Chief without a sale outlet. He decided to do that himself. This IMHO was the beginning of the glory years of mags and parts kits. Waffle mags were $5, .233's were $7, new Krink kits $199. He pre-sold those listed mags at $25 ea. This was all in the 1999-2000 year range. Sadly Keith's fate took a down turn from this point. Long sorted story.....

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
I remember the whole story completely. I dealt with the Chief FTF at few Bulletfest even.

Originally he was just the importer and the mags were sold thru one of his service pals at Three River Arms (I believe that was the name, no relation to Two Rivers Arms here). The guy's wife thought the gun business wouldn't support them financially and made him quit and reenlist. This left the Chief without a sale outlet. He decided to do that himself. This IMHO was the beginning of the glory years of mags and parts kits. Waffle mags were $5, .233's were $7, new Krink kits $199. He pre-sold those listed mags at $25 ea. This was all in the 1999-2000 year range. Sadly Keith's fate took a down turn from this point. Long sorted story.....
IIRC also, he sold out of those one off color mags in less than 24 hours when he posted them for sale. After that, they were never offered for sale again unless it was an original buyer selling them.

A true mag collector knows their rarity and value. Most others just see them as overprice waffles.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
The first batch did sell out quickly, supposedly there was to be more, unfortunately they never materialized. I was sick that I never bought any of the $199 Krink kits. Somewhere I do have a number of the Type2 40 round AK mags though..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I have in my collection an elusive set of the circle 10 mags, mine were second hand from the original purchaser

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
The first batch did sell out quickly, supposedly there was to be more, unfortunately they never materialized. I was sick that I never bought any of the $199 Krink kits. Somewhere I do have a number of the Type2 40 round AK mags though..
Yeah, I remember Keith telling me not to worry about rushing to order those mags as he had by his estimates a "few days" worth of orders and was supposedly getting more in. I kick myself for not jumping on it when first announced. I cannot prove it, but I also think he took under the table pre-orders for a select few when he said he would not and make it a first come first serve affair.

As to the $199 Krinks, I would have jumped on a few had a crystal ball been in my hand to see the future. When he offered those, the AWB was still going strong with no indication the sunset would stick in 2004. So buying a Krink kit with no real way to SBR it unless you found a then very expensive pre-ban donor rifle, was a gamble I did not want to take and never bought.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I bought 100 Bulgarian 30rd 7.62x39 waffles from him for $7 each. I remember feeling like I won the lottery when I sold them for about $10 each.

As to the $199 Krinks, I would have jumped on a few had a crystal ball been in my hand to see the future. When he offered those, the AWB was still going strong with no indication the sunset would stick in 2004. So buying a Krink kit with no real way to SBR it unless you found a then very expensive pre-ban donor rifle, was a gamble I did not want to take and never bought.
Plus there was no real viable source for US receivers. I remember thinking that there was no point because there was no way to get it done.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Yeah, I remember Keith telling me not to worry about rushing to order those mags as he had by his estimates a "few days" worth of orders and was supposedly getting more in. I kick myself for not jumping on it when first announced. I cannot prove it, but I also think he took under the table pre-orders for a select few when he said he would not and make it a first come first serve affair.

I never get used to hearing about the $199 AKSU kits... unreal. Wasn't this the case for the milled PLO stuff as well? No real way to build em so they were real cheap?

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
I never get used to hearing about the $199 AKSU kits... unreal. Wasn't this the case for the milled PLO stuff as well? No real way to build em so they were real cheap?
The PLO stuff was about 2003-2004 IIRC. There was already more robust building network with others coming online like the Firing Line, ORF and even a few Bulgarian milled receivers still floating around to support the milled PLO rifles. Besides, build the milled rifles was less of an issue as they could be build as ban compliant with a fixed stock and did not have to worry about NFA/SBR issues like the Krink kits were.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
The PLO stuff was about 2003-2004 IIRC. There was already more robust building network with others coming online like the Firing Line, ORF and even a few Bulgarian milled receivers still floating around to support the milled PLO rifles. Besides, build the milled rifles was less of an issue as they could be build as ban compliant with a fixed stock and did not have to worry about NFA/SBR issues like the Krink kits were.
Ah, got it, thanks. Not sure what I got that mixed up with. Wish I was around then! I've seen the screenshots of the auctions for the premium matching kits from that time... Hindsight is 20/20

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I remember Sportsmans Guide having the milled kits for $99. I picked up a Russian underfolder kit, numbers matching PLO kit from JoeKen, for $249. All numbers match on it, including the handguards. They were real rough, however I was able to salvage them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts