AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pic of the selector for the safety just has a punch mark. The triangle shaped symbol seems to be in 2 or 3 spots. Also the sights seem to have a 1 or backwards 1 both on the forward and other sight mount. The forward sight has a symbol or letter before the 1. So if anything just would like to know it’s ok and nothing special about it cause I only bought it so I can shoot it. If verified it’s nothing different than any other, that’s exactly what I plan on doing. Shooting the fire out of it lol. Thanks guys

·
Registered
22,272 Posts
no No NOOOOOO! It's ruined now.. how can you shoot a gun?? wwaaaaah this is a tragedy!

... just kidding. Can you take some pictures of the internals and the sides of the receiver? Once you put rounds through it, it turned into a shooter.. so it's too late to worry about collectable status now that the cherry has been popped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no No NOOOOOO! It's ruined now.. how can you shoot a gun?? wwaaaaah this is a tragedy!

... just kidding. Can you take some pictures of the internals and the sides of the receiver? Once you put rounds through it, it turned into a shooter.. so it's too late to worry about collectable status now that the cherry has been popped.
Cool that works for me too. That’s why I bought it in the first place. First ak.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You have a preban (before 1989) rifle imported by PolyTech that was neutered and sold between 1990-1994. All the random numbers are inspection stamps and nothing of significance. Sorry but your rifle is nothing special. Now replace the spiker assembly, get some original Chinese wood on it, and enjoy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For general Chinese info...
With the Chinese commercial guns (that is, those guns produced for and sold to the US market) there are many, many different variations. For example:
-Milled rifles, Pre-ban (Polytech Legend, Polytech Legend National Match)386 factory
-Milled, post-ban (MAK 90 Milled, MAK91)
-pre-ban stamped (Polytech Legend stamped, 56-s (semi-auto) 56-s1, 56s-2, 56s-3, 56-s4, 56-s5(?) these were fixed stock, underfolder, side folder, polymer furniture, uh... what else?

Moving on...
So with Chinese guns, you have stamped, milled, pre-ban, post-ban.
Stamped vs milled is pretty obvious. Pre-ban means the 1989 Assault Weapons ban, so guns imported before the 1989 AW ban have all the "evil" baby-killing features such as cleaning rod, muzzle device, bayonet lug, pistol grip, full stock, etc. Post-ban guns were imported after 1989 AW ban and were "neutered" with bayonet lug ground off, no cleaning rod, no "fangs" under the front sight block (which hold the cleaning rod/bayonet, thumbhole stock, etc. To complicate things, guns caught/held up in customs during this time were required to be modified before sale so they will have "evil" model names stamped out, ground off, milled off, overstamped, or otherwise changed. These are referred to as "transitional" or "caught in customs" guns and some may have one or more of the original evil features present. Or not.

Any gun marked MAK (90/91) is Modified AK and was imported after 1989 and will have neutered features. MAK90 may be found in 7.62x39 or .223/5.56mm versions, as well as both milled & stamped versions.

MAK 91 is a milled, long barreled, post 1989 ban version of the Polytech Legend National Match.

The milled Chinese guns are close to type 3 AKs, but with the full auto features neutered for the commercial US market. The stamped Chinese guns are technically AKMs but the Chinese used a mix of milled type parts and stamped type receivers. Stamped Chinese receivers are thicker than other country receivers, excepy Yugo. Typically, Chinese barrels are thicker as well as the barrel components, and wont fit on other AKM barrels.

NHM91 is a stamped, long barreled gun (not a true RPK) but came with a bipod anyway. It has a shortened bolt, a stepped hammer and had a rivet installed in the mag well area to prevent use of normal std AK mags.

Many, many post-ban rifles came with thumbhole stocks, either Boyd's, or Berry's, or an ATI polymer "Dragunov" style. A lot of people throw away the TH stock and replace it with std furniture.

So, to review:
Pre-ban, Post-ban, milled, stamped, fixed, UF, SF, polymer, detachable bayonet, underfolder spiker bayonet, type one bayonet, type two bayonet, 7.62x39, .223/5.56mm, Canadian import, transitional, B-West import vs B-West made receivers, Maadi + Chinese versions...

And I'm just getting started! Chinese guns are fun. I like em.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Yup, gregsthe1 beat me to it, you have a MAK-90 that was originally a Poly Tech that got the the full Bush1 treatment on importation making the former evil Poly Tech AKS-762 now an angelic MAK-90 with full Bush-hole stock and ground off muzzle threads and underfolding bayo mount.

As said, everything you show are inspection stamps.

Enjoy the rifle. As is it unfortunately has collector value due to the ban on importation of Chinese military style firearms, you still can enjoy the rifle as you wish. The Chinese AK variants had arguably the best trigger feel of any factory made AK variant imported into the land of shall not be infringed (which your rifle proves the infringement)

·
Registered
22,272 Posts
Man what is with newbies and getting screaming deals on Chinese rifles? You got that bad boy for half price. You'll fall apart before that rifle does, so enjoy... and nice score!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many apologies to all. I’m definitely a newbie to aks. As reasonable as the man was who let me buy it, it was a no brained. He had two and sold me the unfired one cause the one he bought years ago still shoots fine. And if this does truly outlast me I’m sure it has to be a decent one. Thanks everyone for the help tho.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Many apologies to all. I’m definitely a newbie to aks. As reasonable as the man was who let me buy it, it was a no brained. He had two and sold me the unfired one cause the one he bought years ago still shoots fine. And if this does truly outlast me I’m sure it has to be a decent one. Thanks everyone for the help tho.
Maybe he'll sell the one he fired for $400, since it's so abused. :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Now you need at least one example from all the other countries to produce an AK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts