1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
And, did you also carry a 12ga adapter?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I carried all HEDP. In the event of a hot insertion I would have also carried various colors of smoke and parachute flares. Never saw a beehive round

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Ms Destiny was making 12ga adapters (primarily for use in the M79) and providing them at well below her manufacturing cost to Soldiers. They liked the dual use ability for blowing locks and hinges.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
one of my co-workers carried a "thumper" in Vietnam and claimed he used both flechette and buckshot rounds, he said both were highly effective but he preferred the buckshot

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My Dad used the buckshot rounds in Vietnam, circa 68. I think they were discontinued from the inventory some time soon after. I never saw them in the 90's.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
HEDP load out, smokes occasionally used, flares only on the fourth oh july out of a m32 :cool: Whats a beehive round? Also, anybody shot one of those Army smart gun grenade launchers?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The grenadiers in my squad (Mech Engineer) usually carried 2-4 Illumination & 3 or so smoke in the vehicles: As nobody wore the grenadier vest when I was in Iraq. But the bulk was HE or HEDP 6-12 rounds carried in the issue bandoliers ( My grenadier carried them in 2 aftermarket pouches). I preferred the grenadier on my fire team to carry the HE as the HEDP seemed not to be as good round for frag purposes.

As for the more exotic buckshot cartridge, the only guys I saw with it were SF since the 80s. I've fired a few over the years and they were ok. The pellets were about the size of #4 buck and it only had 20 or so pellets. Never seen a flechette round I believe they were only issued ion a experimental basis in Viet-Nam.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
The "Text book" load out is 18 rounds, only 6 of which are HEDP. The rest are assorted flares and smoke. Thats what my unit provided, as it was carry over "UBL". For those that dont know what UBL is, its universal basic load. Basically, a Military units SHTF ammo that is ONLY to be used in Combat.

So, "on patrol" in Iraq, I would carry the 6 HEDP, and 4 white smokes.

No 12 gauge adapter, buckshot round, etc.... Remember that you have a 5.56 attachment..;)

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Mine were carried on my Hellcat in single, double or triple pouches. Never carried a full load-out

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Afghanistan load out was 8 HEDP, 2 white star, 4 sponge rounds (LTL), and 2 Crowd dispersal (rubber buck). I'm USAF security Forces.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts