AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking that I would like to have a krink built and have a couple of questions. So once you have the parts and have selected a builder.

You need to send the parts to builder and fill out a atf form 1?

Then once it would be complete the krink would be sent to me like a regular build or will I need a class 3 dealer to handle the transfer?

Will it matter if the builder is out of state?

· Registered
11,464 Posts
pawnman75 said:
I have been thinking that I would like to have a krink built and have a couple of questions. So once you have the parts and have selected a builder.

You need to send the parts to builder and fill out a atf form 1?

Then once it would be complete the krink would be sent to me like a regular build or will I need a class 3 dealer to handle the transfer?

Will it matter if the builder is out of state?

You have options:

1. Send the receiver and kit to a Type 07 manufacturer. They make it into a Title II (SBR), and then it is sent to a NFA dealer (not a normal FFL). You then pay a NFA transfer fee (most charge $75-90), plus the $200 tax. It is first transferred from the manufacturer to the dealer, then from the dealer to you on a Form 4 (twice the wait).

2. You register the receiver as an SBR. You would do so on a Form 1, pay the $200 tax, and wait for it to come back. When it comes back approved, you send the kit/receiver to the Type 07 manufacturer. They then do gunsmithing work on your NFA weapon. The gun can then be sent back to you directly. This saves a transfer fee as well as some time.

It matters if the builder is out of state for option #1, because if they are in your state, they can transfer the gun to you directly. Meaning no transfer fee, and less waiting period (only the wait to give the gun from them to you, not from them to a dealer, then the dealer to you).

You can not send the parts kit out while pending a Form 1. Title I and Title II guns are considered different in the eyes of the law, and if they log in a Title I weapon and log out a Title II, then they must have been the ones manufacturing it, meaning it must be done as a transfer (not mailed back to you, but back to a dealer).

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response Q and for the knowledge.

Another question on another similar subject. So if I wanted to install a 12" barrel in my LMT MRP I would send off the form 1 then install the barrel or should I send of the form 1 before I have the barrel?

· Registered
11,464 Posts
wingnut308 said:
Most builders have some pretty long wait times. I sent my kit/receiver to my builder to get in line, and my Form 1 to the BATFE. Your builder can build it and sit on it until you get your form back.
That is very, very risky business because you did not have the gun in your possession- basically, you sent a Title I receiver to a guy, it became a Title II weapon (different), and it went back to you without going through the proper channels- which is illegal. You didn't make it a Title II weapon, it was at some random manufacturer when it became a Title II weapon- but on a Form 1, you put yourself as the manufacturer of the weapon.

If you own a Title II gun, or a Title II receiver, you can send it to whoever to have it built. There are still people sitting on legal Stemple machine gun receivers (AKA a piece of muffler pipe with a serial number) that haven't been built yet. There is no time limit to this, you just have it built when you do.

pawnman, when it comes to the barrel- unless you own an AR15 pistol, I would not buy the barrel. It can be considered "constructive intent" to make an illegal NFA weapon if you own the short barrel but no SBR or pistol that it can legally go on. For instance, I have an Uzi, before the SBR was approved I refused to get the short barrel for it to be on the safe side.

Of course, you are in unique shoes being a firearms dealer. As such, your gun shop can own 11" barrels for sale to someone who owns a SBR or an AR-15 pistol. You, necessarily, don't have them, your business does.

· Registered
606 Posts
Send it off, have it built with muzzle attachment bringing it to length (have engraving done on receiver at this time) when it comes back send off paper work. When paper work comes back...choppy choppy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.