AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out by saying I know virtually nothing about AK type rifles. The closest things I have ever had to owning one are a few SKS'. I just recently purchased an AKMS ( I think that is the correct nomenclature) from my local store. It is an Polish parts underfolder on an OOW/ITM receiver. I did notice the selector gap everone talks about. Other than that, the gun looks really good. The fit and finish are outstanding and better than really any of the other AK type rifles I have ever handled. I am guessing the rifle was assembled wholesaled by Military Gun Supply (MGS was on the sales ticket and looks identical to the one on the website.)

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/i ... d=FIPOAKMS

From the website is says they were assembled by Wise Lite Arms of TX. I could not find anything about them on the net. I purchased the rifle with bayo, 2 mags, pouch oiler etc for $600.00.

Anyone know what I should expect? Did I do ok on the purchase price wise? Is there any tweaking I may have to do later?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,916 Posts
The Poles made some of the best AK's around, and they're barrels are very good.

Your rifle should be just fine.

Wise Lite is the builder that MGS uses, I believe they are partnered up with MGS.

I haven't seen any of their work first hand though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Templar,

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to know I picked a good one.



1Gunner,

I dont know yet. I will not be picking it up until Friday. I will definitely get back with you this weekend and let you know.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,498 Posts
Congradulations on your first AK! You did good with your choice of a PMKMS,as Templar stated,the Poles take alot of pride in manufacturing and they produce a top notch AK.My PMKMS is also built on an OOW reciever by In Range and also has the gap.I just keep the safety off and try not to think about it. :grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johno,

Thanks for the follow up. Im glad I bought it. Matter of fact, I picked up my AKMS today and while I was there I went ahead and picked up another one. This one is another Polish AKM that was assembled by Vector Arms. It has the black plastic furniture. Its also very nice.

1Gunner,

I really dont see any visible marks on other than a " c " on the trigger and hammer. Nothing on the grip. Nothing on the piston. Are there markings that should be there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
I now own 2 Polish underfolders...different makers but there really nice guns. You picked a good one as long as the maker is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,220 Posts
Ive seen and held these rifles firsthand.

The build quality and finish is great. Your gun will not have matching numbers, and might be on a Ewbanks receiver. About 90% of the ones I handled were on Ewbanks, the other 10% on OOW. None were matching.

A decent buy - especially with the accessories.

ETA: This is concerning the MGS Polish underfolders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Both of my guns are all matching parts. One is on an Ewbanks and the other is OOW(ITM). But mine were kits guys had bought and made.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top