AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a set and I want to have the metal trim piece at the top of the grip(what the hell is that called anyway?), I already have an escution for the screw. So, what size trim piece do I need, is the Ironwood grip wide like the chinese?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
It's called a ferrule.

Pronounced "Fair-rull".

I thought Winslow Armory had some that are Polish. Whether or not they'll fit an Ironwood, I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah a ferrule, I couldn't remember ...

Now I just need to find what size. I know someone here has put one on their grip ...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
There are really just two sizes of ferrule commonly available.

The most common are the "wide" ones.
These are easy to get as spares.

These are about 1'' wide and are the same as on the fat grip out there, like the Chinese grips.

Then there are the "thin" ferrules.
These are about 7/8'' wide.
These are not easy to find and normally need to be canibalized from existing grips, like the recent importation of Hungarian grips.

The one you will need for an Ironwood grip is a wide ferrule.
I have these.

Shoot me a PM or e-mail and I'll let you know how to get one.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Badass, IM inbound ...

I thought it might be the wider one but with the wealth of great minds here it was easier to ask and be sure ... :twisted:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Those wouldn't be too difficult to form from 18 gage steel. Just bolt the piece to a hardwood form and tap away with a planishing hammer. Dress the edges and cut away the inside and you're all set.
If you pan to do more than a few, make the form from steel.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Why go through all that trouble for a $1 part?

I know some guys try to sell these to fund their pension, but I will sell them for $1.

Forming a ferrule might be feasable for the Yugo type as they are impossible to find.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Z is right, even though I have the ability to make them myself, why bother? I can buy them from him and not have to pay $10 shipping on a $1 part ... :razz:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Z-Recto,..im sent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts