AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to start, but I want another AK... So bad it's burning a hole in that back of my mind.
I was thinking about building my own and I have zero experience at doing so. And that's where my questions come in.

The AK I want to build would be like the Polish Beryl in the Polish forum. I already have a traditional looking SAR-1, and now I want a more modern AK, all black, with a buttstock like the Polish AK's. I wanted to get one in .223 but I was was wondering if they make receivers for that caliber and if they sell parts kits in that caliber.

I can't directly fund a rifle all at once so I was thinking about buying the parts slowly and once I get them all I could build it or get someone to build it for me. If I do that what parts do you suggest I should buy first?

I'm traveling to Dayton Ohio for the next couple of weeks and I was thinking about heading to Ohio Rapid Fire to see what kind of parts they got. What do you all think of those receivers? Or should I wait and go with another company?

I want everyones opinions please...
I'm not really sure of my options and I was wondering if you all would lend your help to a new guy.

Thanks.

To all of you that build AK's :hail: I want to learn.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Soldier48 said:
The AK I want to build would be like the Polish Beryl in the Polish forum.
Beryl parts are not generally available. A Tantal is similar, but significantly different than the rifles the Polish troops are using in Iraq. If you did find some Beryl parts, they would be expensive. Not the sort of kit you'd wanna teach yourself to build AKs on.

I already have a traditional looking SAR-1, and now I want a more modern AK, all black, with a buttstock like the Polish AK's. I wanted to get one in .223 but I was was wondering if they make receivers for that caliber and if they sell parts kits in that caliber.
You are only limited by your skills and budget, and parts availability. I have a chinese barrel, bolt and carrier in 5.56 that I am building on a european receiver with a trunnion Global Trades made for a while that was Euro sized on the outside, but plummed for a chinese barrel on the inside. K-var had 5.56 kits for a while, but they are long gone, I believe (you might want to check, though..). If you must have 5.56, it would probably be cheapest to hunt down a donor gun, like an SAR 3 (though there are others out there). ...just depends on how much you want to spend.

You'd save a bunch of coin by building something in 5.45, and you can make a modern weapon out of it. Lot's of affordable options, there.

I can't directly fund a rifle all at once so I was thinking about buying the parts slowly and once I get them all I could build it or get someone to build it for me. If I do that what parts do you suggest I should buy first?
If you want oddball/unique stuff, you'll have to buy it as you find it. If you go for something a little more common, like 5.45 or 7.62, you'll save a bunch of money.

What do you all think of those receivers? Or should I wait and go with another company?
Don't they use OOW receivers? I like the 5.45 version, not the 7.62 version of the OOW unit (selector fits funny on the 7.62). I hear that anything that Nodakspud makes rocks (NDS). Don't think you can go wrong there.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything from tapco and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

I was thinking more about this tonight. I will probably get my Paws on a Romy and use that for my first build. The reason I was leaning towards a .223 AK is the current Ammo issue I'm having with my 7.62. My wife made the comment "Why do you want another AK when you don't shoot the one you got now?" And the truth behind that is my lack of ammo.

I also want to get a ACE Stock like the Polish use (the most closest I've found). I'm lacking on ideas for the handguard with the pistol grip. I really dont know how realistic this is, but I was thinking about getting a wood one, and sanding it down to fit the look of a Polish grip, installing some rails on the side. And then finding a way to get it gray. Maybe some sort of spray rubber coating???

I have a traditional looking AK, and now I'm feeling the need for a more modern one. I just love the way the Polish have adopted a classic in modern warfare.

One more question....
What do you think about those U Drive Screw Builds? Worth a try for a guy who lacks Rivet experience?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You could also get a 20in bb; Saiga and convert it with some Tantal parts, i.e. the gas block and front sight.
Throw on some Black HG's and a bird cage FH and you would have a reasonable clone of an early Beryl.
But like as been mentioned above, this is not a beginners project.

There will be some Beryl parts available shortly, but what exactly is coming I dont know.

I do know there are folding stocks on the way and probably HG"s as well.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'd get the barrel/front trunnion (at least) as soon as possible. Barrels can't be imported any more and even the common ones will only increase in price.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ACMcom said:
I'd get the barrel/front trunnion (at least) as soon as possible. Barrels can't be imported any more and even the common ones will only increase in price.
Good info, I will probably pick up one within the next month or so. Is Copes Dist. still the place for Romy kits?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I converted a .223Saiga with a 16 inch barrel and made it look like an AK-103 with the correct side-folding polymer stock. I also set it up to take the clear waffle .223 mags from K-Var, it looks great and feeds like the AK it is. It was not really very difficult and I would recommend it far and above trying to build one from mismatching parts for a 1st effort. I have built about 50 rifles so far. And I can tell you that what you are talking about doing would be really difficult.

·
Registered
136 Posts
" like the 5.45 version, not the 7.62 version of the OOW unit (selector fits funny on the 7.62)."

I have built a "few" on newer OOW receivers in 7.62, the issue has been resolved, in fact I was assured that by John L. of Ohio Ordnance this past fall as I was picking one up in Chardon Ohio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts