AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a Romanian WASR 10/63 about a month ago and have done some modifications to it. In that time, I've put about 200-250 rounds through it without any problem (I don't know why the WASR gets a lot of hate, mine was made in 1984 and has been owned by at least 3 other people with 0 problems on functionality) but now I wanna do some modifications to the internals. One of the things that I wanna do is get a new hammer spring, but I'm stuck between the traditional "music braid" style wire and the normal shepherd's hook-type wire (no braids) and I don't know if one is better than the other, the pros and cons, etc to the different style of hammer spring. I'm already gonna get a retainer plate, new trigger assembly (the Tapco G2 is nice, but I wanna try the ALG trigger assembly) and the Kreb's safety lever. But I don't know anything about the different hammer spring styles and if there is any difference or not. Anybody with any knowledge on this would be more than welcome to respond. I'll post some pictures if I need to (don't judge me, the inside is dirtier than a brothel) of what I'm talking about and the AK itself.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Use a standard braided spring and it'll be fine for tens of thousands of rounds I'd presume. Do you think the AK's in third world countries get maintained over the years?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Does somebody even make a single-strand hammer spring? I must have missed it if they do.

I agree with the above poster. I can't see any reason to use anything but an original OEM (foreign) multi-strand spring.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does somebody even make a single-strand hammer spring? I must have missed it if they do.

I agree with the above poster. I can't see any reason to use anything but an original OEM (foreign) multi-strand spring.
DAMAGE INDUSTRIES and a few others make single strand. Got one in the parts can but all mine are runnin' braided. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,586 Posts
"I've put about 200-250 rounds through it without any problem"

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
The ALG trigger has a shorter & better pull. But in my experience so far., for the price the TAPCO with a little polish work is not far behind.
For all the changes you listed., save the $120 and buy ammo or mags.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Chances are your WASR has a Tapco trigger group already in it, and I would leave the OEM braided spring in it as was intended.

Reactions: TRAAK's

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Your WASR wasn't made in 1984, but used parts of a rifle that was made in 1984. The WASR most likely had a build date between 2010 and present. Still you are correct in that most WASRs are really good rifles, just that most people don't complain about good stuff. ;)

Like the others said, and taking it further, Mr. Kalashnikov specified that specific type spring for a reason, both long life and the continued usefulness of the weapon if one wire broke. Also guessing that it has a Century installed Tapco trigger group, but Century was known for installing their own, so if it is marked TAPCO you should be good to go. Marked with a "C" would indicate Century parts, so replacement if you are not happy with the trigger feel is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let me just say that the lag hammer spring is very stout. I have a thread on the files that I started yesterday about it, feel free to check it out and have a laugh at my expense. That being said I was told that using their hammer spring improves/ shortens lockup time with their trigger. I ran out of time and did not get to finish fitting the trigger. I did dry fire it a few times and I can say the pull and reset are amazing for a $50 trigger.

·
Registered
223 Posts
After 3 owners and hundreds of rounds; why change anything? Sorta like "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts