AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SLR-105 that was not properly cleaned by the previous owner and has pitting on the front sight block and muzzle/crown. I had to use Kroil penetrating oil to remove the seized on muzzle brake. The bore is fine and doesn't so any signs of corrosion. The muzzle/crown of the barrel does show pitting. There is no flaking of the chrome at the crown.

My question to you is will this affect the accuracy at all or is it just cosmetic?

SLR-105 in question.

This is another one of my SLR-105's to show as a comparison.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Take it to the range!

It might be okay thinking about certain Yugo barrels still being decent shooters in spite of them being crudtastic sewer pipes... but I'm hardly an authority on fine details.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
It kinda looks like carbon build up to me, did you try scraping it with a razor blade to check? If that is pitting corrosion its pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heartbreakridge01 said:
It kinda looks like carbon build up to me, did you try scraping it with a razor blade to check? If that is pitting corrosion its pretty bad.
Good idea. I'll have to try that and see if its built up carbon. Hopefully it is. I did use a brass bore brush on the muzzle area and nothing came off. I'll try a razor blade.

And yes I'll shoot it to determine if it accurate. :)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Flashpoint said:
heartbreakridge01 said:
Good idea. I'll have to try that and see if its built up carbon. Hopefully it is. I did use a brass bore brush on the muzzle area and nothing came off. I'll try a razor blade.

And yes I'll shoot it to determine if it accurate. :)
I normally use a razor blade to clean the carbon off my barrels, mine normally look like that after a range session or two :grin:

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Better cleaning habits are needed. Use a scotchbrite or 000 steel wool and some solvent. Or a Dremel and cotton wheel with polishing compound to get it cleaned up initially.. Then keep it clean after shooting.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I like to use the mouth of a spent brass case to scrape carbon. Works great, I have a lot of them and the brass will not scratch the steel rifle parts. Hopefully that will clean up. Should shoot Ok though either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts