AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found it at my local pawn shop today, $600.00. 3 Prong flash hider, A1 style painted shinny stock set, [worn off on the edges] A1 upper. Not sure what style forward assist, but most likely round. I was on a road test and the place was busy with folks getting cash, so I did not have a lot of time for a full examination. I've done a few searches on the AR boards with no real results. [Limited to 30 days] All results on a google search were positive, a decent variant. I do have a Bushmaster with 2 uppers, HBAR and an Mforgery, so should I go back for a second look? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
PWA = Pacific West Arms. My preban lower is one of theirs, mine is marked '5.56 Commando' as the model. Most likely it is a A1 style lower.

PWA went out of business in the early 90's, their tooling was used to start up the present day Rock River Arms. i have never heard a bad thing abotu a PWA lower.

Sounds like a winner, just check the bore to make srue it is not shot out. if you get the makrings on the barrel, and the forge code under the rear sight on the right side of the carry handle I can tell you what type of upper it is. Also check the pins and selector to see if they have a 'divot' or small hole drilled in the center of the pin/selector- they are the early type and quite desirable.

For $600 I would walk in and walk out with it. :wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
get it you can sell the lower to a ban state like CT or MA for atleast $650 easy. PWA use to make one of the best recievers in their days

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lower is preban, serial # in the 25xxx range. There were not any dimples on the pins or sefety, no proof or other marks on the upper in the area Dawg 180 mentioned. There are some #s on the muzzle end of the barrel. They are; SAK MP 8. I did a more through inspection and found an Acu wedge during take-down. Rifling looks strong, rifle was clean. no marks on the bolt to aid in identification. The upper did have wear in areas that did not translate to the same areas of the lower, so I'll bet the upper was swapped out at 1 time. Thanks for the info so far.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
That is a Saco Defense made barrel, good stuff, they shoot very well in my experience. It shoudl be chrome lined with 1/12 twist.

The PM marking means (from what others have found tenatively) that the upper recevier was made for the Phillipines contract by Martin Marietta. Barrel and upper receiver may have been assembled by someone else. What color is the upper/lower? My bet is they are both a shiny black finish?

I'll check my PM marked upper when I get home and see what barrel was on it.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Post some pics when you get a chance! :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
pwa

I have a pwa 16 inch commando, had it for 5 years and never had a problem with it. It's accurate as well.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
man if i saw an ar-15 around here for 600 bucks i would jump on it!!! the cheapest i have seen them around here is 750, usually more like 8-900 though.....i'd jump on it!!

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts

$600 is a helluva deal for any AR. If you are on the fence, go in there and offer him $550, I bet the pawn shop will bite just to make a sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts