AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. LOL

Yep. I'm gonna get one to see what the all buzz is about.
I've had Mac-90 longtime ago, and was not too happy with its quality, and accuraacy(Acutualy, reason why it wasn't accurate is because upper recieve scope mount was loose. I'm certain of that).

But I didnt realize that price of 7.62X39 has gone up considerbly since last time I bought 7.62(which was back in 1995. I bought my Mac90 for $275 or something cheap like that, and box of 50rds russian ammo was something like $4.99...).

So this time around, with consideration of ammo prices, I went with one of these...

Polish Tantal AK-74 in 5.45x39. For just shy of $500 with 3 mags. And box of ammo.

Now that I'm happy, I begin hearing something troublesome news.
This is copy of PM I got over other gunforum I'm reguler at.

Supposedly (and again...I don't own one but the people reporting this surely do) that the US made barrels are oversized and cause the 5.45 bullets to keyhole. Not good.

You may luck out and get one that does not do this, but there are many complaints on many web boards about Century built Tantals with oversized bores that keyhole.

...just warning you...the many tales I read were enough to ensure I am not going after one of these. Good thing, because I was drawn to these but I don't want an AK that keyholes...no thank you.

If the one you're looking at is a Century build....I'd make sure you have a return policy.
The reports are many...and errily similar.
Is there any truth on this PM?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the AK Forum! (HA, I'm a nOOb here myself!)

Does your Tantal have a chrome lined barrel? Apparently, the chrome lined barrels are good to go...but that's all I know. I'm sure these guys can give you more info...they have been helping me learn about my Yugo!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Have you shot it yet? There were some that did have 5.56 barrels apparently. I dont have a Tantal, but have read of this. The only
way your gonna satisfy yourself is with some trigger time.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I recently looked into a Tantal, myself. I heard about all the same issues and some some have said that serial numbers over 3000 are OK. Not sure if there is any truth to this, as I have emailed Century on two occasions and received no response. The one at my local shop is a 1300 range number, not chrome lined, and I did the bullet test on it. It swallowed the bullet, all the way to the case. :sad: For me, this is the nail in the coffin, with regards to purchasing any more Century guns.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I haven't shot it yet. Its still in lay-a-way(oping topick it up next friday)
Mine's serial number is just shy to 1800(1783 to be exact)

Since I found out about key holing issue, I called my dealer to explain this keyhole issue, and he said that he'll mic the bore.

However, I donno what the bore Dia' for 5.45mm is, but i know that typical 5.45mm bullet diameter is 5.680 mm (0.2236 in). And I know that typical 5.56 bullet diamter is 5.69 mm (0.224 in).

So I hole his got really good micrometer...

Edit - Didn't think about just stick projectile part of ammo from muzzle thing. I'll try that before I pick it up

·
Registered
32 Posts
The last training class I was in a fellow had a tantal that was doing the key hole thing at only 10 yards! I would not wont a rifle that did not have a chrome bore as most of cheep surplus ammo on the market is some what corrosive.
Why dont you get you a parts kit and look into building one, you would end up with a Polish factory chrome lined barrel!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently purchased a Tantal from www.armsofamerica.com. This rifle does not have the selector switch on the left side of the receiver. I was not that concerned about the rifle being “correct” in that regard, as it is a shooter for me and an accurate portrayal of the real rifle was just not that high on my priority list. These Tantals appear to be built from good quality part kits and come with the chrome lined barrel. The only gripe I have about this rifle is that I can only run the E. German bakelites, Russian plums, or some of the polymer Bulgarian magazines (some Bulgarians work, some don’t). The metal magazine that came with the rifle will work, but my other metal Tantal magazines will not completely seat in the magazine well.

I recently had an opportunity to take the rifle to the range and fire some rounds through it. The rifle was zeroed pretty well, only requiring a very minor adjustment as it was shooting just a hair right of the point of aim. I shot my surplus 53 grain Russian (corrosive), Wolf 70 grain and some Barnaul 60 grain. The rifle had no FTF/FTE issues with any of this ammunition. I shot from 25, 50 and 100 yards with no key-holing at all. Overall I am very happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to recommend them to others who are in the market for a Tantal.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
you can check the number of grooves in the barrel, from what ive read on here the military barrels have 4 and the US made barrels have 6.

i have the Centruy Tantal and have had no problems with it keyholeing or any other accuracy issues other than i think the front sight is canted lol other than that it runs like a swiss watch!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My first AK was a century made tantal. When I put a barnaul 60gr round in the barrel, it swallowed it to the case. A few days later I fired it without much hope and found every single round keyholed at 50yds. I shot a few rounds of 53gr bulgy through it and had a few keyholes, as well.

Needless to say, it went back and I got an Interarms/High Standard make.

That CAI tantal was in the 3300 serial range. It looked nice but was not all matching. The interarms tantal I know have is all matching and has the chrome lined, original barrel.

At best, I think a century tantal is a roll of the dice. Some win, some lose.

Good luck, T

·
Registered
47 Posts
serial number...............tantal

I suggest caution be used when attempting to use the serial number as a determinant in rifle quality. I suspect that Poland used the common method of numbering found in many countries in Europe. Start new every year..........change the prefix and start over......This might not be the case but it is not uncommon............llc

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did your dealer slug the barrel?

With jacketed bullets, the groove diameter should be the same as the bullet diameter, so mike some bullets, too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, whatever the case may be, I'm taking it out today. SO We'll find out if she shoots good, or needs to go back to CAI...

·
Technical Advisor
15,600 Posts
Re: serial number...............tantal

llc said:
I suggest caution be used when attempting to use the serial number as a determinant in rifle quality. I suspect that Poland used the common method of numbering found in many countries in Europe. Start new every year..........change the prefix and start over......This might not be the case but it is not uncommon............llc
I assume the below 3000 serial number refers to the receiver (USA assigned) serial number. The Polish serial number on the trunnion is meaningless in this regard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: serial number...............tantal

AKBLUE said:
llc said:
I assume the below 3000 serial number refers to the receiver (USA assigned) serial number. The Polish serial number on the trunnion is meaningless in this regard.
When I mentioned my serial, thats what I was talking about. US assigned serial number.

Shot it today. All i had was 30rds of 5.45, and it seemed that none keyholed at 50yrds.
But I'm crossing my fingers...

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
I rolled the dice and just picked up one of these from Classic Arms last Friday. Mine had a serial number in the XX700 range. The Century inventory control tag on the trigger guard had a 4/14/08.

Did the bullet test and the muzzle swallowed it up to the case. Pulled the bullet and rechecked, the crown is just recessed a tad longer than normal. I will say it is a 5.45 bore and not a 5.56 bore.

While also looking the rifle over, the barrel pin caught my eye as being somewhat of a different color and had been installed after the rest of the rifle had been parked. I would highly speculate with the trigger tag date, low S/N and the barrel pin, that Century is recycling their returns and replacing the barrels.

Hootbro

·
Technical Advisor
15,600 Posts
Hootbro said:
I would highly speculate with the trigger tag date, low S/N and the barrel pin, that Century is recycling their returns and replacing the barrels.

Hootbro
I would certainly believe that. Probably not a bad thing. Shooting at the range is the test. :dance: :dance:

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
AKBLUE said:
................... Shooting at the range is the test. :dance: :dance:
Agreed! Until i get some range time on it, I am just playing outhouse detective.

I also forgot to add, the rifle came with a small manila envelope with the rifle's S/N on it. Enclosed was a spent 5.45 casing. Is this normally seen with the other Century Tantals people have been buying of late?

Hootbro

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hootbro said:
AKBLUE said:
................... Shooting at the range is the test. :dance: :dance:
Agreed! Until i get some range time on it, I am just playing outhouse detective.

I also forgot to add, the rifle came with a small manila envelope with the rifle's S/N on it. Enclosed was a spent 5.45 casing. Is this normally seen with the other Century Tantals people have been buying of late?

Hootbro
Yep, my Century Tantal came with the 'test fire' round. My replacement Interarms one also came with the spent round.

T

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hootbro said:
I rolled the dice and just picked up one of these from Classic Arms last Friday. Mine had a serial number in the XX700 range. The Century inventory control tag on the trigger guard had a 4/14/08.
My tag says 05/12/08.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts