AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about get one or five. Looking for one that would go on a shoulder strap. hanging upside down. One that comes with a sheath? Any one got one? Hate them? Any advice? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance

Josh:EatingPopcorn:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think of them as a novelty/Tacticool mall ninja shit. A knife purely made for 'self defense' is for the guy who:
1. must not have situational awareness
2. thinks its a good idea to get into conflict
3. Likes to waste money

Simply looking around and learning to read body language will keep you more safe than a peice of steel. That and you'll have that much more money in your pocket. I'm not saying knifes are stupid, or pointless...just push daggers.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My uncle gouged a home-invader with an elaborately designed medieval thing, that worked similar to a push blade. It got the job done I suppose.

It was one of those "I grabbed the first thing laying around" kind of deals. He just happened to have a collection on the wall.

·
Super Moderator
25,619 Posts
I'm pretty sure these have been around for a long time.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thinking about get one or five. Looking for one that would go on a shoulder strap. hanging upside down. One that comes with a sheath? Any one got one? Hate them? Any advice? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance

Josh:EatingPopcorn:
My oldest daughter trains with them as well as other blades. She likes them and her theory is ''better than caught empty handed''. Slash, cut then buried in the neck. I believe she favors the waist belt horizontal sheath.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Friend gave me a spring-assisted knife. They are basically legal switch blades. The first day I carried it, I ended up using it an insane amount of times throughout the day (for utility reasons, it wasn't a zombie apocalypse). It's to the point now, if I don't have one handy it is a big pain in the ass.

IMO, I'd really recommend getting a blade that can double as a utility knife/self defense. Those ones you posted look cool though, but I doubt they'd be very good at anything other than defense

·
Registered
710 Posts
+1 on that. I always have a decent blade on me. I can't imagine going without one, they're just so damn useful.

Defense wise, it beats nothing, I guess. A 2 3/4" blade isn't all that intimidating lol. I'd rather run.

·
Registered
225 Posts
+1 on that. I always have a decent blade on me. I can't imagine going without one, they're just so damn useful.

Defense wise, it beats nothing, I guess. A 2 3/4" blade isn't all that intimidating lol. I'd rather run.
Agreed!

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I generally won't use a SD blade for any utility type uses. I try to keep utility and SD blades completely separate. It really depends on your preferences though. Never worked with a push dagger though

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I spoke with my daughter last evening about her thoughts on this thread. Her view is that it is an absolute last resort self defense tool. She is not talking ''Jason Bourne roll up the magazine BS'' last resort, but where you are backed into a bathroom and no way out, period.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like push daggers - they serve a good purpose - but you'd need to be up close and personal to use them. Here are three that I own by Mickey Yurco, Roger "Mudbone" Jones, and Mike Irie:

The Mudbone Jones Dagger is made from a Horse Rasp.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Have a well used CRKT M16 thats cut open boxes and dressed a deer. Tips broken and its on its last leg. Still would go with a folder over a dagger for utility sake; most wont bat an eye at it. Strangely enough less care about knives if they have an orange safety handle.

Reactions: Sierra175

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've never owned a push dagger. I may be wrong, but they seem to be somewhat of a "one trick pony"; great for self defense but so-so with all over tasks. For my money, have have several assisted opening knives for everyday carry. They're great for utility use and nobody gets rattled if I pull it out. Pulling out a push knife for some routine task brings me unwanted attention.

So, if you want to get a push knife, that's great. I'd just be careful when and how you use if for utility purposes. In my State (Michigan) you can carry any length blade, but it cannot be sharpened on both sides: another good reason not to carry a push knife. I'd much rather carry a knife that provides better utility use and doesn't attract unwanted attention and doesn't run afoul of the law (even a stupid law).

Finally, in the role for which it's designed (fighting) I'm not so sure a push knife is any better than a normal blade.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I like them okay, but the only time I ever carried one for serious was in Iraq, and it was only for use as a strap cutter. The Safekeeper II is neat, but since it has a double edge, it's illegal as hell in Texas, from what I understand.

There's a lot of puzzling illegalities here, now that I'm getting to know my way around. Bowie knives, for instance. You can legally carry a rifle, but you can't have a Bowie knife? Don't make a damn bit of sense to me.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I like them okay, but the only time I ever carried one for serious was in Iraq, and it was only for use as a strap cutter. The Safekeeper II is neat, but since it has a double edge, it's illegal as hell in Texas, from what I understand.

There's a lot of puzzling illegalities here, now that I'm getting to know my way around. Bowie knives, for instance. You can legally carry a rifle, but you can't have a Bowie knife? Don't make a damn bit of sense to me.
Welcome to the wonderful world of politics :p

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Texas has some really absurd weapons laws. We have illegal weapons and prohibited weapons. Illegal weapons are illegal to carry. Prohibited weapons are illegal to own. Until recently automatic knives (better know as switchblades) were prohibited weapons. There was a defense under the law that allowed for possession of "collectible, or curio and relic" switchblades, but what a "collectible, or curio and relic" switchblade was, wasn't defined. Last Sept 1 the law changed and switchblades became completely legal in TX. Oh, except for the oops under illegal weapons which states "dirks, daggers, poniards, and Bowie knifes" or anything with a blade over 5" length are illegal weapons (i.e. illegal to carry). That means anything with a bayonet style blade (typical Italian style with a upper false edge) was illegal to carry, but my Tanto blade knife was legal. Brass knuckles are still prohibited weapons, but, you see them for sell in TX as belt buckles or paperweights. This, BTW, means all the folks with very collectible WWI trench knives are actually breaking the law in TX.

Next legislative session folks are going to try to address the blade design issue. Hopefully, the whole prohibited category will be addressed.

Oh, just for kicks and giggles, there is an out in the law for Masons, K of C, War Between the States Reenactors, Renaissance Fair People, etc... that says it is a defense under the law that you were involved in a lodge activity or reenactment if you are caught carrying a sword or bayonet with a blade longer than 5" or the wrong design or a Bowie knife, tomahawk, etc.

Note: "a defense under the law" means they can (and often will) arrst you but you have an argument when you go to court.

Now for the legal disclaimer. I am not an attorney and in no way is the above meant as legal advise. Consult a lawyer or the Texas State Bar Association for legal advise.

(PS, Kenny, come by and see me and I can show you where to pull up the latest TX laws.)

MDI

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like push daggers - they serve a good purpose - but you'd need to be up close and personal to use them. Here are three that I own by Mickey Yurco, Roger "Mudbone" Jones, and Mike Irie:

The Mudbone Jones Dagger is made from a Horse Rasp.
I only use knives for utilitarian, everyday stuff, but those are very cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts