AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to oil a Ironwood Tabuk stock. I have seen a couple of beautiful examples on here. What would be a good oil to use? A pure oil like Old Masters, or is a polymorized oil like Formbys the way to go? Looking to get a nice golden brown color.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I used Formbys tung oil and really liked it. But a couple years after the can was open it gel'd up! Couldn't find the Formbys next time and settled for BLO. The BLO is nice, but takes days for a coat to dry. The Formby's dried overnight.
I'd use Formby's if you can get it. Their products are great. They're stripper is a good too. Very gentle to the wood. Lifts dirt out of the pores too.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
BLO will give it a good military color/finish, I'd put a few coats on the gun over a week or 2, Rub it down, then wipe it clean... repeat. The Formbys Tung stuff isn't bad... dries fast, Use this if you want a mild shine with a tad more protection on the wood. I've used it over BLO with good results. AFTER the BLO dries for a few days of course.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've got a question. I have the ironwood teak wood and i've got it all sanded down and ready to apply the finish. Do I just use the tung oil? Or do I use Watco exterior wood finish first?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
-Todd- said:
I've got a question. I have the ironwood teak wood and i've got it all sanded down and ready to apply the finish. Do I just use the tung oil? Or do I use Watco exterior wood finish first?
You might have problems using both. They both seal the wood I believe, so they would probably be resistant to each other and the 2nd one used would not take to the wood well. Are you just wanting to use the Watco for the stain color? Find a clean piece of wood and do some testing using both.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
-Todd- said:
Dont F'around. Just use BLO. Rub it on with 0000 wool. let it set for 15 min. wipe it all down. Do this once a day for a week. It will dry overnight. After the first coat, use lite coats. WIPE IT OFF after about 15 min is the key.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Indiansprings said:
-Todd- said:
Dont F'around. Just use BLO. Rub it on with 0000 wool. let it set for 15 min. wipe it all down. Do this once a day for a week. It will dry overnight. After the first coat, use lite coats. WIPE IT OFF after about 15 min is the key.

Um I dont plan on F'ing around... I was simply asking before I get started. The instructions on Ironwoods website aren't that clear to me. I just want the standard tung oil finish, I guess the military looking finish.

Instructions are on the can of the Watco Exterior Oil Finish, but I will elaborate.
You want to soak each part heavily with the oil on the first coat. You can even dunk the ends of the parts into the
oil then let the oil ooze down into and onto the part while rubbing more oil in with an oil soaked cotton cloth. The
ends of the stock will pull in lots of oil, so don't be afraid to soak them several times. Right after the first coat,
apply more oil with the cloth.

Rub in another coat every 15 minutes for an hour with the cloth, you don't need to drown the wood, just make sure
it has a good coat covering the entire stock.

On the fourth coat, just use enough oil to break up any tackiness form the previous coat. Make sure the surface is
slick, meaning that the cloth glides across the surface smoothly. There should be a thin coat when done. After
applying this last coat, immediately wipe the stocks dry with a cotton cloth. You want to see a uniform sheen after
doing this. Do it again with a clean cloth to absorb any wet spots you may have missed. Let dry for 24 hours. This
finish will dry just fine in extreme cold climates.

If you want to go for a higher grade oil finish, apply Tru-oil, Tung oil, or Danish wood oil in very thin coats over
the existing finish.
Remember to do this before you apply any stock wax.

The trick with the high grade is to apply numerous very thin coats as to avoid having to do any steel wool buffing
of the finish. Only apply one coat per day. You can put as many as you want, but probably 6-10 additional coats
will give you a show piece. You can wet sand this final finish with 1000 grit wet dry paper and a little bit of the
oil you used for the high grade finish. This will flatten out any uneven surfaces that the oil buildup has created.
This is why lots of very thin hand or cloth rubbed coats are recommended for such a finish. Less rub down work at the end.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
-Todd- said:
Indiansprings said:
[quote="-Todd-":2spshtgw]I've got a question. I have the ironwood teak wood and i've got it all sanded down and ready to apply the finish. Do I just use the tung oil? Or do I use Watco exterior wood finish first?

Um I dont plan on F'ing around... I was simply asking before I get started. The instructions on Ironwoods website aren't that clear to me. I just want the standard tung oil finish, I guess the military looking finish.

Instructions are on the can of the Watco Exterior Oil Finish, but I will elaborate.
You want to soak each part heavily with the oil on the first coat. You can even dunk the ends of the parts into the
oil then let the oil ooze down into and onto the part while rubbing more oil in with an oil soaked cotton cloth. The
ends of the stock will pull in lots of oil, so don't be afraid to soak them several times. Right after the first coat,
apply more oil with the cloth.

Rub in another coat every 15 minutes for an hour with the cloth, you don't need to drown the wood, just make sure
it has a good coat covering the entire stock.

On the fourth coat, just use enough oil to break up any tackiness form the previous coat. Make sure the surface is
slick, meaning that the cloth glides across the surface smoothly. There should be a thin coat when done. After
applying this last coat, immediately wipe the stocks dry with a cotton cloth. You want to see a uniform sheen after
doing this. Do it again with a clean cloth to absorb any wet spots you may have missed. Let dry for 24 hours. This
finish will dry just fine in extreme cold climates.

If you want to go for a higher grade oil finish, apply Tru-oil, Tung oil, or Danish wood oil in very thin coats over
the existing finish.
Remember to do this before you apply any stock wax.

The trick with the high grade is to apply numerous very thin coats as to avoid having to do any steel wool buffing
of the finish. Only apply one coat per day. You can put as many as you want, but probably 6-10 additional coats
will give you a show piece. You can wet sand this final finish with 1000 grit wet dry paper and a little bit of the
oil you used for the high grade finish. This will flatten out any uneven surfaces that the oil buildup has created.
This is why lots of very thin hand or cloth rubbed coats are recommended for such a finish. Less rub down work at the end.
[/quote:2spshtgw]
I apoligize if I hurt your feelings, was not my intension at all. Wasnt implying that you were doing anything. My oponion is that BLO is a nicer finish on gun stocks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I apoligize if I hurt your feelings, was not my intension at all. Wasnt implying that you were doing anything. My oponion is that BLO is a nicer finish on gun stocks.

:lol: Thanks for your input. Anyone else want to chime in?

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Indiansprings said:
-Todd- said:
I've finished several Yugo stock sets like this and they came out exactly as the original finish...

·
Registered
392 Posts
BigAL said:
Indiansprings said:
-Todd- said:
I've finished several Yugo stock sets like this and they came out exactly as the original finish...

I guess i'll go with that, if I can find it locally. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When it comes to stock refinishing I think it's pretty hard to beat the information put out by the CMP. This is a long read but, in my opinion, well worth it.
After building an oven to remove ALL the cosmoline from my chicom SKS carbines I followed the instructions in this site to put a nice finish on them.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/wo ... rticle.htm

·
Registered
171 Posts
Finishing wood with BLO and pure Tung oil is as old as dirt. There a lot of modern hi-tec finishes available but nothing really any better for gunstocks. Only two rule to remember. (1)It is impossible to put a coat on to thin but you can damn sure get it to thick. (2)Allow it to dry completely before applying the next coat. Patience is the key!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I rub BLO in with my hands. I've found it to maximize the coverage and it really works it in. Rub it in, let it sit, then buff it off.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. I just wound up getting the Watco tung oil, its all I could find at Lowes. Now im just trying to find the Howard feed n wax that Ironwood recommends.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts