AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local gun shop today. Great day for a drive. Hadn't been there since I bought my Garand so I figured I was due.

They had a pair of PTR-91s for sale. One folder, one fixed stock. The fixed had a narrow synthetic handgaurd and no muzzle device or threads for one. The folder had a larger diameter better vented hand gaurd and a AR type muzzle device. $800 for the fixed and a bit over $1100 for the folder.
I liked the fixed stock best, but wondered if it would be better with a muzzle brake fitted like the folder had.
The narrow hand gaurd on the fixed was a loose fit and wriggled a bit. The Folder's handgaurd seemed a better fit.

I really liked the fit & finish. It was really excellent. Smooth bolt operation and both had excellent trigger feel. Heavy rifles, but very handy. The peep sights worked great for my old eyes to.

I've been wanted a good rifle in .308. These impressed me.

Is that fixed stock one a good deal?
How is cleaning these? I get spoiled by the ease of service/cleaning in my Garand and AK type rifles.
Are sub 2" groups at 100 yards normal? That's about the best I can shoot anyways. So that is my own accuracy standard.
Reliability?
ETA: Mags it takes? Availability?

The sales guy mentioned these are closer to a CETME than a FAL in design. But I have handled some Centruy CETMEs and they sure didn't feel this good.

Any experience you can share on these is appreciated! I really liked that fixed stock PTR-91!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
How long are the barrels? The 16" barrel PTR is more cash, but sounds like the fixed stock is a better deal. You can get a collapsible stock for under 150 bucks. They are awesome rifles, don't listen to anybody who tells you that they are difficult to clean. I'll clean my PTR before an AR15.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not certain. But the barrels looked 18-20 inches long.
I don't want a 16" barrel in 308.

The handgaurds on the folder look like the PTRs that Atlantic sells.
The HGs on the fixed are more slender with smaller vents.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Recoil on HK's is a little more severe than M1A's/M-14 rifles, you can get a better buffer that will lessen felt recoil. There are a ton of options with the HK just like any MBR, I've always been a fan but do not own one. I let a HK-91 in full sniper gear slip by me this past month for 3 grand, I will probably kick myself.
I own a "loaded" M1A and really need to put a scope on it to get full advantage of its fantastic accuracy potential, the HK is also capable of terrific accuracy. One thing the HK does that the M1A doesn't is due to its roller block mechanism it has a tendency to ding brass, I have talked to a number of people that continue to reload their ammo and have looked at quite a few lots of brass and every now and then you will see a cartridge that has a slight ding in it.
If you are serious about getting into a .308 MBR you could do worse than a PTR-91, for the money I'd say you would be getting a good deal, new they do run over a grand retail. .308 is getting pretty expensive to shoot, Lithuanian stuff is available in 200 rnd battlepacks for close to $100, its good ammo.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I thought the takedown pin forward of the trigger guard were
a No-No on these, or is that just the Cetme's??

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fearless 51 said:
Recoil on HK's is a little more severe than M1A's/M-14 rifles, you can get a better buffer that will lessen felt recoil. There are a ton of options with the HK just like any MBR, I've always been a fan but do not own one. I let a HK-91 in full sniper gear slip by me this past month for 3 grand, I will probably kick myself.
I own a "loaded" M1A and really need to put a scope on it to get full advantage of its fantastic accuracy potential, the HK is also capable of terrific accuracy. One thing the HK does that the M1A doesn't is due to its roller block mechanism it has a tendency to ding brass, I have talked to a number of people that continue to reload their ammo and have looked at quite a few lots of brass and every now and then you will see a cartridge that has a slight ding in it.
If you are serious about getting into a .308 MBR you could do worse than a PTR-91, for the money I'd say you would be getting a good deal, new they do run over a grand retail. .308 is getting pretty expensive to shoot, Lithuanian stuff is available in 200 rnd battlepacks for close to $100, its good ammo.
The same dealer has pallet loads of the Lithuanian 308 ammo in the battle packs for $109 a 200 rnd. pack. He has a butt load of the old Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo too in gray and green beat up crates. But that stuff is over 60 years old. And not much cheaper than commercial ammo. He has Wolf in 7.62x39 for just $179 a case too. Pretty good shop IMO. They always have neat stuff there.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
These kill brass which makes them a NO-Go for me. FAL would get my vote.

I also just picked up a DPMS 308 and with ammo .50-$1 a pop, it might be worth considering a precision rifle.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have an HK-91, and yes it is a bit more stout in the recoil dept. and it's hard on brass too. Cleaning it can be a chore if you clean it correctly (i.e. the chamber and roller recesses).

Also since no one has mentioned it yet, for someone new to the HK platform the bolt/locking block reassembly can be a PITA. If done incorrectly the assembly won't go back in the reciever as the locking mechanism is locked to the rear holding the rollers outward.

There is an easy trick to this....put the bolt assembly in BACKWARD,yes backward, and hit the cocking tube of the bolt assembly with the heel of your hand. The locking block "sees" this force as legit recoil and allows the rollers to retract and the locking block to come forward. remove the bolt assembly from the reciever, turn it around so it's facing the right way and reinsert. It should easily go into reciever with no problem.

There is also a special tool for this from green mountain that will ease reassembly of the bolt.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They are awesome rifles. Buy one you will not regret it. Just dont plan on reloading the brass. And cleaning is a little bit of a chore but they are awesome rifles. I have had one since they first came out. Its def one of my favorite rifles. No regrets at all. 308 is a bitch to pay for though

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys

I want to thank you for your inputs. I got to think it over alot and I went back and looked at it again today. I really liked it. I asked why it was so much less than the folder and the salesman said it's a consignment sale. I said "It's used?". I had no idea. Handling it next to that new folder I had no idea it was a used rifle. It's that immaculate. That explains the lack of muzzle device. It's a ban model I bet. So they call the owner. I make a low offer. He counters. I accept. I got it for $750. I figure at that price I can't go wrong. Picked up a battle pack of Lithuanian and I'll test it out at Camp Allen later this week.
I know they wreck brass. But I'll never reload. Not as long as I can make more money building upholstery than I would save by reloading! That's the problem with self employment. I have to hustle and work every day to earn my keep.

Can anyone point me to some good info on field stripping it to clean it? Thanks!

Pics: (How'd I do for $750?)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I remember I got mine when they first came out for $799 brand new. But now they are crazy expensive and the price you paid, you stole the damn thing. Great score! If you check out HKPro.com they should have some manuals on it and field stripping. Nice score man! :grin:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/G3_ ... Manual.pdf

Excellent price.

My main complaint about them is the US made barrel, which is heavy, rather than contoured like a real G3 or licensed HK, and the fluted chambers are sometimes not cut deep enough on the early models.

They are accurate rifles.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
RTG

Check the bolt gap. Heres extra parts if you need them. Getting the gap into the upper acceptable range reduces recoil. A MB wouldn't hurt on that thing either.

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

I am guessing some of this stuff will interchange.

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3schematic.html

This where I get all my parts to keep my SHITME, I mean FIXME, oops I mean CETME working... These are fine rifles when everything runs right. I don't know if you need NATO spec brass or not. Oh well I run steel case in mine.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys! This'll be a fun learning experience for me. Book marks made and the printer is working on the manual right now.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Sidecarnutz said:
Thanks for the info guys! This'll be a fun learning experience for me. Book marks made and the printer is working on the manual right now.

Thanks again!

All the major parts on the PTR will interchange with G-3 parts... just make sure you don't get CETME parts as they may or may not (most likely will not) work.

As far as the barrel, this is a question for Templar and other G3 guys... but did the PTR attempt to copy the G3 SG1 barrel profile? Or did they just come up with their own "target" style barrel?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Sidecarnutz said:

Thanks again!

All the major parts on the PTR will interchange with G-3 parts... just make sure you don't get CETME parts as they may or may not (most likely will not) work.

As far as the barrel, this is a question for Templar and other G3 guys... but did the PTR attempt to copy the G3 SG1 barrel profile? Or did they just come up with their own "target" style barrel?
It's a cost saving measure, and AR barrel makers do the same thing.

It costs a lot more in time and money to take a barrel and turn it down than it does to just leave it in a thicker profile. Then, your marketing guy comes up with "it's a heavy target barrel. That's why Bushmaster, Rock River, etc. have the heavy barrel profile vs. a gov't profile, and why PTR used the heavier profile barrel.

Cost.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again guys. That manual helped alot. But I was still left with questions on the bolt disassembly.
I know many of you are familiar with the Military Firearms board. They are a superb resource for these! Hell, they even had videos posted on how to check gap and on how to tear the bolt down and resassemble as well as theory of operation.
They're kind of like the AKForum of other guns quality wise. :smile: Terrific folks over there!
The more I learn, the happier I am I got this. Now I can give it a good clean & inspect tomorrow!

Thank you!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Killer deal, good for you...I've had a couple guys tell me that the FCG from the G-3 will basically slap right in with some very minor work. I believe you will be very happy with your rifle, as long as your shooting berdan primed stuff who gives a damn about reloading, I don't have the time or initiative to convert that stuff. I do save my good brass and your HK will not damage all of it beyond repair, at least those I've seen do not always damage every round.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts