AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a TG built PSL for a few years now. It started out as a POS. Wouldn't feed or eject. But at least it was accurate. Finish had random grinder marks all over it. Shellac flaking off in chunks. Rear sight smashed and BHO missing. TG replaced the missing and smashed bits. But since they had no replacements to offer for the function problems, I just kept the rifle as a project.
Bit by bit I was able to tackle the function issues. Much thanks to folks here who have shared their own solutions and to QGunner 2 whose ideas helped out in finally getting it to run 100%. A couple years ago I refinished it in black GC. Very first time I tried that! It looked good and I was proud of it. But recently I took it out for a cleaning and saw that the GC had bubbled in places where the original finish must have had tiny rust pits that I couldn't see at the time I applied the GC. I oiled it up and put it away figuring I'd re-finish it some time.

QG2 was over here yesterday to use my shop for a project of his own. As usual, it ran long. :roll: :grin: We wound up spending 15 hours out there. But you can really get alot done in a work day like that! I'll let him share the nightmare stuff he did and solved. That young man worked his butt off and did some very difficult component swaps and nailed them. But as long as he was here, I figured I'd work one of my own projects.
I blasted the rifle down to bare steel. Thankfully the bubbled areas had only very tiny pits in the steel. The matte finish from blasting blended those areas in very well. I parked the rear sight. The rest of the parts were hot blued to a nice black color. A couple coats of amber shellac made the wood look better than new. I didn't care for the blonde wood and wanted a reddish tint to it. Amber shellac looks great that way if applied in very thin coats. I have a MAK90 trigger in it and polished it up nice and smooth. That has a much better feel than the stock trigger ever had. I did the assembly this morning and I'm very happy with it. I've been putting work into this rifle on and off for a few years now. It feels good to have it now look as good as it works!

It was a pleasure seeing you again Q! You're welcome here any time!

Lessons learned:
The local Domino's makes superb pizza. It'll fuel a long refinishing session well!
Watch out for the blast cabinet latch if you have a hernia. Ouch!
A GC finish is only as good as the surface you apply it over. After this project I later made my own park tanks. Fresh mag park is a terrific base for GC and moly resin. The rifles I have finished since this project all still look like new. Only this one done over a poor factory finish that was then damaged more by sloppy building at TG has shown any failure. Brownell's mag park is so easy to use that I now wish I had jumped into using it earlier!
Young men can work old men into the ground. :roll:
Old men are better at finnessing their way through problems than young'ns are. :grin:

Many pics!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
:hail:

I seriously gotta make the drive one of these weekends... :grin:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most everything I know I learned here on the Forum. It's all public knowledge. So just ask away and I'll try to help.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Looks great! The amber shellac makes the furniture look like aged furniture (but new). I refinished my PSL in a similar manner, sandblasted and hot blued. Same feel as the black, manganese phosphate but looks much better. Then I stripped off the old drippy shellac and refinished it with amber Spar Varnish ? in a spray can.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Sidecar, do you motivational speaking gigs on the side? The photos and explanations of techniques you post here show a talent that that you need to look into. Thanks again for another excellent post.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

Q worked on unbanning a Norinco. He had to cut through the GB and FSB and crack them with a chisel to remove them. They were that tight! He also put it back into UF configuration. It was originally a UF. Factory gas welded a tang on the rear for a fixed stock and riveted a couple piece of sheet steel over the UF holes. He very carefully removed all that to put a UF back on. He nailed it too. Just removing the tang took him 40 minutes of filing.
The young man has developed some skills!
Like I mentioned. 15 hours of work. So I re-worked one of my own while we had the tanks heated up.
What he had to do to that Norinco was more difficult than my rebarreling my Tabuk! He nailed it too!

As far as my enthusiasm and writing and instructing ability.... I'm an annoyingly gung ho bastard. As certified by my Senior Chief back in the early 90's. He thought he was insulting me! He got mad when I took it as a compliment. :grin: Remember, I was a nuc plant tech in the Navy. We took written exams that would cripple your writing hand. Our cardinal rule was to never use a clear concise sentence when there was room for a long paragraph. I also did 3.5 years at the Navy's Instructor School. I taught public speaking and curriculum development and instructional techniques. Add in all those years of dragging numbnuts 19 year olds kicking and screaming into adulthood as an LPO in an engineroom and I wound up well qualified to write and speak about subjects I know and love. And pretty good as passing along to others the lessons I've learned. I lucked out having some great guys bring me along in my younger years too. This is my way to pay that back.

But I am also a disabled Vet for a reason. I'm a beat up old fat guy now. Many injuries over the years of my service. The mind is there, but the body is failing. I have alot of arthritis to deal with and I am only 47. QGunner2 is a really great young man. He's forgotten more about guns than I know and takes to shop work like a prodigy. His constant questioning attitude also improves my own skills as he sees things from perspectives that I haven't considered. Then we evolve solutions and improve techniques. I get all stoked when we get into discussions on physics and how parts work together. Since my son is grown and I can't teach him any more for now, I welcome Q to use my shop when he has time to come down here. He may be a student in shop work. But he is a damned talented one and it is really fun for me to see him run with what he learns here. He has already done himself a couple builds that equal what I can do myself.

So I have alot of fun working with guys who also love what they are doing. And I enjoy sharing here what I have learned here and put to use myself to test it. And when I screw up I post "How not-to" as readily as I do how-to stuff. No sense in others repeating mistakes of others. If you knew me from the cycle boards I am active on, I have written many articles over the years. Even got published in a few magazines over the years. A Forum like this is a fun place for a guy like me to hang out on.
I predict he'll be a fine Doctor someday. :cool:

That's why I like the mission statement here. If you can live that, you'll have alot of fun and achieve great quality as you pursue it.

And I am very glad to finally be finished with this PSL after more than two years. I can honestly say it is as close to 100% as it can be. A far cry from when I got it!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Good to hear he's got some talent and patience.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. Patience is the key. You have to take your time and think five steps ahead of what you're doing to keep from going down wrong paths.

Most young men just go for the big hammer and try to make shortcuts. :roll:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sidecar, It sounds like the gun I sent to you guys is a real PITA. Other than that stupid off center scope rail I put in years ago, sounds like he is getting through ok.

Sorry to hear you guys had to cut up that Maddi barrel. But, that thing has been through TOO many mods anyway.

Let me know how the progress is going.

Tony. :wink:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm lost now. I didn't see him work on a Maddi. Just that Norinco. And he didn't cut into any barrels. Just ground a slot "almost" through the GB and FSB and then cracked them with hammer blows to a chisel. Then they could be pressed off. They could not be removed with normal pressing techniques. The blocks must have been hot when fitted or something so they shrank into place. I noticed the Chinese only use one pin on the GB. As tight as it was, I suppose that is all they need! It's just a back up to the super tight fitting they have.

This is why once I realized he'd be here a long time, I just started a project of my own as I didn't have any upholstery orders to fill.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I didn't see that.

But Q did a great job removing the ban style GB and FSB and then stippling the surface of the barrel for a proper fit of the new GB. He pressed that in perfectly. The FSB was a good press fit as-is. He had everything pressed and straight when he left here. They just needed drilled and pinned into place. It's gonna be a fine rifle. And he earned it with all the work he did on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts