1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Not a bad price, especially these days.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Nice price if they're not hand-selected bottom-of-the-barrel. Very pleased with the way my kit translated into a rifle. Still have a real nice parts set but apparently it won't be sold anytime soon. :wink:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Given Israeli Light Barrel kits were uncommon and pricey until a few years ago, it could be worth the gamble if the kits are not clapped out and nasty. From the pics in PSA's reviews the kits seem to have both early and late features. Tempting, very tempting at that price.

Not related to PSA but here is my experience with Israeli FAL kits. I picked up three kits from DSA late 2018 iirc. which I paired with DSA's Israeli marked receivers and Israeli style bbls. The biggest problem I had was getting the in on the bbls. and receivers when they were available. They sold out fast when they came up. I have not kept up with availability. I'm trying hard to justify not picking up a few more. This offer from PSA seems like a great deal.

Anyway with basic Fal tools they built up easy. These were my first FAL builds. I did have to replace a couple of not too expensive parts. Overall, I have been really enjoying them. I always wanted a Israeli LB Fal just due to it's looks and history.

I need to update my build thread here. Coming from an AK building background FALs are easy. They do history, Cold War battle rifle nicely and are fun shooters.

My builds, pre locking shoulder,

Also above. Luck of the draw from DSA. Note the middle one with old style open ear front sight and early buttstock, it also has the vertical frame lock lever.

A Hebrew Hammer all done and back from test fire, brass marks on receiver, fun was had.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The best of these kits are gone, PSA is now scraping the bottom of the barrel and using parts that have likely already been returned once for exchange. This is why they dropped the price $200. Don't count on a gem of a kit and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best of these kits are gone, PSA is now scraping the bottom of the barrel and using parts that have likely already been returned once for exchange. This is why they dropped the price $200. Don't count on a gem of a kit and you won't be disappointed.
Maybe this is correct. However, I was messing around on their website putting large quantities in the cart and I was able to put 1,200 units in my cart but not 1,500 units. I wonder if they just bought a ton and now regret that move.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I’ve done 4 AKMs, 1 Galil and a Yugo RPK. I’ve been wanting to branch out and have been considering a FAL or a Cetme C. What is the price of tooling for a FAL assuming your have all the basics like drill press, angle grinder, 12 ton press, calipers etc....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
what tools do you need to build an FAL?
I’ve done 4 AKMs, 1 Galil and a Yugo RPK. I’ve been wanting to branch out and have been considering a FAL or a Cetme C. What is the price of tooling for a FAL assuming your have all the basics like drill press, angle grinder, 12 ton press, calipers etc....
Here is a good article, Building the FAL at Home, Background

Besides headspace gauges (I used Forster's .308), I highly recommend this guy's receiver wrench and barrel vise, FalTools.com | FN FAL Tools | Wrenches, Barrel Vices, Instructions?.

A couple of threads down you can read my post on tools and building. I made the other tools I needed, they were easy. When I do update that post I'll put links to all my parts, info and tool sources.

While they are not the same build process, I think if you can build an AK you will find FAL building easier.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I started looking at getting and doing one of these but I didn’t see anybody offering 80% receivers
Plus
Who am I kidding ... I haven’t even really started my cetme build.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I was building these when the most expensive parts were the damn 922r compliance pieces. Imbel and G1 barreled kits were $100, Century receivers were $100, and Imbel receivers were $200. Lots of fun and I loved the variations. TAPCO was a great resource, believe it or not.

They’re probably still fun for guys new to them, but I think the prices have outstripped the value for us kitchen table gunsmiths. AKs are just about at the same point.

Nothing wrong with ARs, but it is boring how ubiquitous they have become, and the builds are too simple.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Nothing wrong with ARs, but it is boring how ubiquitous they have become, and the builds are too simple.
Build up a scorpion, they're easy builds, little bit of a step up from an AR in that that you have to do a little riviting for the trigger guard but still easy to build in an couple evenings when you add in the time to finish the receiver.

Reactions: Richard W.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It should be noted that the PSA web site says the kits are sold "AS-IS"..

Reading the customer posts on several forums it would seem PSA customer service is following that with no exception:

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1111

The buyers experiences start on the second page.
Now, if you keep your expectations low about a very used FAL parts kit that came from some hot humid place, you should not be disappointed.
Look closely at the pictures posted by PSA customers.

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very cool photo's!
An interesting mix of camo too.
Did you find the FAL to be as suitable a battle rifle as everyone says they are?
Absolutely wonderful weapon system. The only real disadvantage to it was the weight.

If you look close the gas plug is not Israeli. It's one modified to work.

I loved the handguards. Extremely comfortable, so much so that I am putting them on my YPG Tribute AK.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts