AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First AK to purchase and I decided on the Palmetto State GF-3 PSA AK-47. Delivery speed, price, local FFL, etc. everything was fine until I went to the range.

The aiming point and impact were 18" right. I didn't have the front sight adjusting tool so I tabled it until the tool arrived. Back on the range using a big white board to see how far right my bullets were impacting, and went to moving the front sight. At 25 yards to get the bullets on an 8" circle, the front sight was moved 1/4"+. This isn't perfectly adjusted but now I'm shooting my target vs the next lane's.

Contacted PSA customer service with pictures and questions.... PSA's customer service is lacking (that is being very kind).

Questions:
Is this within standards? Is this a concern?
Should I forget the 25 yard adjustment and go to 100? Will I need to move the front sight more to center?
How much further can I move the front sight?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am not willing to jump on the bandwagon and say PSA sucks.

You need to sight in the rifle first and report back.
So, I would not fault the rifle or the company in the absence of proper zeroing the rifle first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't perfectly zeroed, but I am on my target- 8" circle at 25 yards. I don't anticipate moving the front sight post another 1/4" in a final zero, but perhaps 1/8" or less. My question is do I continue to zero or are those tolerances more than should be thus becoming a PSA customer service issue?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You need to move that front post until the rifle is zeroed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It isn't perfectly zeroed, but I am on my target- 8" circle at 25 yards. I don't anticipate moving the front sight post another 1/4" in a final zero, but perhaps 1/8" or less. My question is do I continue to zero or are those tolerances more than should be thus becoming a PSA customer service issue?
keep moving the post over. acceptable is if you can zero the rifle without limiting out the drum's movement. If you can still move it more and you're still zeroed, then it's perfectly fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's an answer. Thank you. I can zero the weapon, but (IMHO) too far to be normal. PSA with pictures and emails could be more reactive and resolve the issue before it becomes more of one.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I think we've all seen cut kits from rifles that had obviously been used in service, which had the front sight post cranked almost all the way over to one side.

Is the front sight base on your rifle noticeably canted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't see a "noticeable" cantor. Maybe slightly, but nothing that just screams. I've needed customer service now for three weapons: Ruger, Windham and PSA. Within 7 days, my Ruger was returned with a hand written note by the tech of the repair and apologizing for the repair being necessary. Windham, a phone call only and the part was shipped to my house. I don't think it was shipped that day since it took extra days for it to arrive, but.... PSA, it took 28 days since I gave them all the necessary information to create a shipping label and then it was only when I emailed asking what was the hold up. Now I'm waiting again for a response even after reminding the customer service rep twice. I'm too the point where if I return it, when will I get it back? December 2020?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If it really bothers you, hit the front sight (if that's the one canted) with a rubber mallet to get it aligned.
Re-zero afterwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 3 ak's and two are Arsenal's and none are perfect. The last one I had to adjust with rubber mallet and it shoots great now. With my first AK I was worried about the slight alignment issue until I was sick even though I could zero the rifle. After 2 more AK purchases I realized it's the nature of the beast. If you can zero the rifle you should be good. Now if you have to adjust the front post all the way to one side I myself would like that addressed possibly even though it zero's ( I'd probably adjust it with the mallet). Most companies, espically PSA and Atlantic Firearms will take care of you if you have concerns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'll go to customer service @PSA before the mallet. Fairly new weapon that is covered under warranty. This morning I finally received a response from them with a shipping label. I guess I rattled enough cages at corporate.

·
Banned
229 Posts
I think I'll go to customer service @PSA before the mallet. Fairly new weapon that is covered under warranty. This morning I finally received a response from them with a shipping label. I guess I rattled enough cages at corporate.

Legit there selling point is the warranty not to be a dick but what did you expect buying a PSA product and before you say I'm a gun snob I own an I.O. inc AK haha

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I've owned a 7.62x39 carbine that wouldn't zero. It is extremely frustrating. I hope you will take a good front sight tool and a friend to the range and work that front sight until it zero's.
It's best done with four hands and two brains if you are not very familiar with AK's.
Just be safe and go slowly. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I can't see a "noticeable" cantor. Maybe slightly, but nothing that just screams. I've needed customer service now for three weapons: Ruger, Windham and PSA. Within 7 days, my Ruger was returned with a hand written note by the tech of the repair and apologizing for the repair being necessary. Windham, a phone call only and the part was shipped to my house. I don't think it was shipped that day since it took extra days for it to arrive, but.... PSA, it took 28 days since I gave them all the necessary information to create a shipping label and then it was only when I emailed asking what was the hold up. Now I'm waiting again for a response even after reminding the customer service rep twice. I'm too the point where if I return it, when will I get it back? December 2020?
In my case I didn't either, but it was there.
Although it was not an AK, it was a 7.62x39 carbine from a major player in the game. Overall it was a piece of crap and it wasn't the first problem I had with these people.
I had went through this crap before with them and it just wasn't worth doing it again. I traded it off, let some other sucker figure it out and fight the good fight. I was done with them.

·
Technical Advisor
15,530 Posts
If you can move a pinned front sight base with a mallet., it is not properly fitted to the barrel.

Barrel components are interference fit and then double pinned fir a reason.

Moving by a mallet strike is the sing of an out of spec assembly.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If you can move a pinned front sight base with a mallet., it is not properly fitted to the barrel.

Barrel components are interference fit and then double pinned fir a reason.

Moving by a mallet strike is the sing of an out of spec assembly.
I read somewhere years ago about the "Mallet Technique", I thought it was stupid then and said so and I still think it is stupid.
If you get a carbine that wont zero and someone suggests a Mallet, hit them with a Mallet and go get a properly assembled carbine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
lets have a picture of the front sight post. The OP mentions "it can still move some more" but doesn't mention HOW MUCH MORE (very well could be simple ignorance. We're not all born with the knowledge of Mikhail K.)... OP. put up a pic and let's take a look. It could be you're overthinking it. Or it honestly really could way past comfort levels even IF sighted in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts