AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purists leave now, as I'm potentially going to ruffle some feathers.
It's pretty much as the title states. Just curious if anyone has one, or has put a decent workload on it (3k rounds +) Iv always wanted a 103 style rifle, but have NOT been impressed with the KUSAs iv played with and don't really want to drop Arsenal money for a simple range toy. despite a lot of hate, I actually really enjoy my PSA GF3, and am less leery of PSA as whole because of it.
Before somebody mentions imports, I already have a WASR, 2 WBPs and a Yugo and love them all for different reasons. Hell! if WBP made a 103 style, I'd go that route but that isn't the case.

· Registered
984 Posts
If you haven't been impressed with the KUSA rifles you've examined but like your PSA then it sounds like you need no further encouragement.

Just for your viewing pleasure, see links below:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JeepFan

· Registered
4,972 Posts
I guess I'm a purist but having handled a few PSA x39 AKs at local shops and more specifically helping my shooting buddy get his PSA 103 type rifle set up and sighted in, I have no complaints other than they are not a true clone.

Overall build quality looked good, headspace was fine and it shot well. Not bad at all for the money.

This PSA was nowhere near 3k and honestly I'd rather put that kind of ammo money into my kit built military AKs. Not knocking PSA but some long round count use from unbiased reviewers, not paid guntubers, is needed. I think the results will be positive.

· Registered
243 Posts
Not getting the whole “not a 103” thing with the PSA AK-103. I understand it’s a clone and some of the internals are different, but according to AK Operators Union, the exterior difference is mainly the extended safety and a 4.5mm pin instead of a 5.5mm pin on the folding stock (which I don’t think is noticeable).

And… unlike the K-103 (that I’ve seen available), the PSA has a folding stock. It’s not a 103 if you don’t have a folding stock as far as my interests go, but that’s just me.

· Registered
984 Posts
Not getting the whole “not a 103” thing with the PSA AK-103. I understand it’s a clone and some of the internals are different, but according to AK Operators Union, the exterior difference is mainly the extended safety and a 4.5mm pin instead of a 5.5mm pin on the folding stock (which I don’t think is noticeable).

And… unlike the K-103 (that I’ve seen available), the PSA has a folding stock. It’s not a 103 if you don’t have a folding stock as far as my interests go, but that’s just me.
KUSA has been making a 5.5mm folding stock rifle for some months now.

Reactions: Hiker1911

· Registered
243 Posts
KUSA has been making a 5.5mm folding stock rifle for some months now.

That’s good, but why not offer the true example from the beginning? And releasing a small handful isn’t really meeting the needs of those wanting an actual 103 when you can’t find them except on GB for $$$$.

· Registered
68 Posts
That’s good, but why not offer the true example from the beginning? And releasing a small handful isn’t really meeting the needs of those wanting an actual 103 when you can’t find them except on GB for $$$$.
I prefer a fixed stock so I am glad that they offered that from the beginning.

Small handful of quality vs bulk shipments of junk that has to be sent back over and over for warranty repairs (PSA). I will take 4 quarters over 100 pennies. The only good thing going for PSA is an outstanding FN barrel that PSA doesn't even make. Their firing pins are junk. Their QC is probably as bad as Century Arms.

So them showing that a FN barrel can take a ton of full auto fire? That's not impressive because PSA didn't even make the barrel. They are merely showing that other companies (FN) know how to make things that they don't do properly. I mean FN makes the CHF barrel for the M249 SAW so go figure.

· Registered
243 Posts
I prefer a fixed stock so I am glad that they offered that from the beginning.

Small handful of quality vs bulk shipments of junk that has to be sent back over and over for warranty repairs (PSA). I will take 4 quarters over 100 pennies. The only good thing going for PSA is an outstanding FN barrel that PSA doesn't even make. Their firing pins are junk. Their QC is probably as bad as Century Arms.

So them showing that a FN barrel can take a ton of full auto fire? That's not impressive because PSA didn't even make the barrel. They are merely showing that other companies (FN) know how to make things that they don't do properly. I mean FN makes the CHF barrel for the M249 SAW so go figure.
I get that, but when I buy an AK I want history. I don’t want tacticool. I love being able to see what the private was issued. That’s why I have a Brown Bess, Garand, 1911, AKM, Mauser, etc.

And apparently the AK-103 is seeing combat in the Ukraine. It’s not all 5.45…

I trusted PSA with another AK buy because my AK GF3 folder has been accurate and flawless.
Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

My uses for the PSA is to be cool from a modern history standpoint as a clone, and put round holes in a target. Not looking to “burn it down”. I’m a collector and a shootist.

· Registered
68 Posts
I get that, but when I buy an AK I want history. I don’t want tacticool. I love being able to see what the private was issued. That’s why I have a Brown Bess, Garand, 1911, AKM, Mauser, etc.

And apparently the AK-103 is seeing combat in the Ukraine. It’s not all 5.45…
KUSA makes a more "clone" AK-103 with the side folder now so you have that. Just a matter of signing up for stock notifications and waiting patiently.

· Registered
1,496 Posts
Never seen one of these in person.
What I have a great deal of difficulty with is;
With all these smart, experienced gun guys in this country, how hard is it to come up w/a 74 clone, in 5.56, w/proper fit and feed proprietary mags? Just get it done.
We'll buy the ○●□damned deals if they work and stay working. If you want to do one for x39, go ahead, but given the path we're on, the Russian calibers are going to be gone.
5.56x45/7.62x51 are the future of AK type rifles on this side of the great bodies of water.
♧◇♡♤ your beach house, your 4-door 4 wheel drives. Make a few small personal sacrifices to get the price point down, make sufficient quantities to get your volume up.
Bring us a reliable unit in the $1250 +/- range. $#!+ or get off the pot.
Please.
ROTO

· Registered
282 Posts
You might want to watch the video:

Again. Maybe FN uses I different process for its AK barrels (not), but they make dang good machine gun barrels for tank and infantry MGs. This we know.

watch Robski ring the steel!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts