AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Centerfire delivered the SA85 kit to In Range today. CFS informed us the wood seen in this kit (Grade B), is the worst of the wood. Sellars said he will travel and handpick each kit to get the best kits (Grade A) they have in stock.

For aesthetics, In Range will be refinishing the wood on this kit while they await the "Economy" receiver from DCI.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm sure Troy knows, but the dishwasher treatment works really, really well on the wood in those kits. Hell, he can take a look at the wood in the kit of mine he has sitting in his build queue if the wants to know how it might turn out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Talk about timing. I just built one, but I still need to refinish it. I got my kit from CFS, and they are decent looking kits and the wood looks like it should clean up nicely. I'm tempted to get in on this buy even if I just built one. Like Krinkfreak said, you can never have enough AKs!

·
Registered
545 Posts
My dad retired from Smith & Wesson He specialized in cabinetry/desks/stocks. He has done all my beat up parts kits furniture from Centerfire. Amazing is all I can say. The worst were the Yugo's with all the villiage idiot carvings on them. He did a great job using wood fillers and shellac to give it that nice gloss/smooth feel and look.

:smile:

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In Range called today. They received the DCI receiver today. Troy Sellars said he will begin assembly around 6:00 PM EST (tonight). He anticipates the prototype to finished in a few hours. Pics will follow tonight.

KF

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once the prototype is assembled, and pics are shown, he will field strip the weapon, blast, and then refinish.

After discussing at length, In Range decided the SER should have KG 2400 Gloss vs KG Teflon Molycoat. This will allow it to look as original as possible.

In Range will also be refinishing the wood and "final" prototype pics will follow.

Stay tuned for pics!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Krinkfreak said:
After discussing at length, In Range decided the SER should have KG 2400 Gloss vs KG Teflon Molycoat. This will allow it to look as original as possible.
This is great news,I love the original Hungarian finish! :grin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
man i sure thank its going sure be pretty. wish i had the cash.

Ronald

·
Registered
697 Posts
rmdye said:
man i sure thank its going sure be pretty. wish i had the cash.

Ronald
YUP, I shot my wad on the Kobra. I have expensive bicycle wheels
in the works. My wife isn't going for the Home Business Idea for her to bring in extra cash.

Eastern Nebraska Relaxing Massage and Fellatio.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
The rifle went together great. I was really impressed with the DCI economy receiver. It's hands down the best stamped AK-47 receiver I've worked with. I can't wait to get my hands on their Preimum receiver. I've got Richie working on the wood and as soon as the gloss gets here I'll spray it. It shot really well off hand. You could cover the five round group with a playing card at 15yds. and that was fairly rapid fire. As soon as we get the go ahead we'll start on the project. Remember this will be an after hours project. Every thing should be in stock and I won't have to shut down the shop to build them. Krink should have the photos now.

Troy

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

:hail: :dance: :hail: :dance: This is great!

One question, InRange is only refinishing the wood on this kit, not all of them, correct?

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct. In Range will only finish the wood on the prototype so everyone can see how they will turn out.

We plan on holding a "clinic" here on the board to help everyone refinish their wood.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
589 Posts
Very nice. I need to email Troy about something.... :twisted:

BTW, I'll gladly help with the refinishing "clinic"... I refinished the wood in my kit and it turned out near perfect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts