AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a type 07 ffl and class 02 SOT located in Wichita KS, and recently I wanted a challenge so I built an M92 (which I dub the M92X) in 6.5 Grendel. We custom made the barrel from a Green Mountain blank and so far it runs excellent. Next it is being outfitted with a TA11E ACOG, then we will finish it with Cerakote and stain and seal the wood. We believe with this cartridge to have sub MOA accuracy up to 300 yds. (will be outfitting with 16x scope for 300yd testing). We may be bringing Grendel AK barrels to the market now that we have a CNC lathe at our disposal.

The mag adapter came from Texas AK designs, and it works ok. The modular adapter would be better suited but they are out of stock right now. I built the trigger guard from 2 trigger guards, just to clean it up a little.

Let me know what you guys think, and if there is any interest in Grendel barrels, both in 10" for M92 platform use and 16.3" for 1975 style.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Looks great! Were you able to use the 7.62x39 bolt as-is or did you have to modify it? Did you bend the receiver yourself? What type (brand, etc.) of AR-15 magazine are you using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the AK bolt as is. I just chambered and headspaced the barrel as if it were a 7.62. I use AK builder flats for my builds. I do all of the receiver bending, welding, etc. The mag is just a cheapo, blue follower. It's not c products, it's the company that bought them out I think.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Hey, thats really cool! I like it. I want to do the same thing to either a vepr or m85.
Rather than an M85, you'd need to use the M92 as it appears the 6.5 Grendel and the 7.62x39 have the same diameter case head.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
are the bolt shaft sizes and trunions the same? Might be able to switch the bolt to 762.
The M85 bolt carrier is lightened compared to the M92 bolt carrier, so I think the M92 kit would be a better option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts