AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Galil ARM custom build in .223/.556 that has unfortunately experienced barrel issues subsequent to my purchase that will require either replacing the barrel or for those who know what they are doing, my gunsmith says can be repaired. As much as I love the gun, I do not wish to invest any more in it. All of the parts on it are original except for the receiver which is manufactured by ATI and the barrel. It even has the hard to find carry handle. The only thing absent is bayonet lug. I have added a picture of it to this post.

Looking on Gunbroker at similar offerings the prices vary widely, even for guns that have fewer parts than mine. Of course what differentiates mine from theirs is the aforementioned barrel issue. I am not posting this as a solicitation to sell it which I am still on the fence about, but rather to get informed opinions from fellow AK and AK variant afficianados like me and who have more knowledge.

So please let me know what you think the market price would be if I were to decide to sell it. I am honestly nearly lost on it's value all things considered.

Thank you and I look forward to your input.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
What issues does the barrel have? With today's market it is hard saying what it will bring. I have seen some on gunbroker that were fairly cheap and some have brought stupid money.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
A complete and functional rifle just a few years ago would be $1200- 1500 for a standard build. Some were charging more.

Jeff Miller at Hillbilly firearms would know more as he is the Galil guru.

What is wrong with the barrel?

If it needs replacement basically you have a parts kit with receiver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A complete and functional rifle just a few years ago would be $1200- 1500 for a standard build. Some were charging mire.

Jeff Miller at Hillbilly firearms would know more as he is the Galil guru.

What is wrong with the barrel?

If it needs replacement basically you have a parts kit with receive.
You are correct. The builder peened the end of the barrel to make it fit into the receiver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What issues does the barrel have? With today's market it is hard saying what it will bring. I have seen some on gunbroker that were fairly cheap and some have brought stupid money.
The "builder" peened the end of the barrel to make it fit into what I assumed was the receiver, maybe the gas block. Wherever it goes into the body of the rest of the gun.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Some where in the forum there were threads about ATI receivers being out of spec.

This is how a Galil barrel is installed there is no peening of anything involved. If this "gunsmith" did this he has most likely wrecked your rifle, the barrel and maybe the receiver as well.

You would need to send it to Jeff to get his opinion on fixing it or if it would even be possible.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If he peened the shoulder to get the barrel to time and tighten up in the receiver, I would not stress it. That has been a common practice for installing barrels on bolt guns for years. Although, the same thing could have been achieved by using a shim. The other option would be to re-work the whole locking shoulder/chamber area to make everything happy.

Can you post pics of where the barrel was peened?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct. The builder peened the end of the barrel to make it fit into the receiver.
If he peened the shoulder to get the barrel to time and tighten up in the receiver, I would not stress it. That has been a common practice for installing barrels on bolt guns for years. Although, the same thing could have been achieved by using a shim. The other option would be to re-work the whole locking shoulder/chamber area to make everything happy.

My smith said the rest of the gun is fine and that someone who knew what they were doing would likely be able to make the barrel right again or if they did not want to mess with it, a new barrel would do the trick and you would be ready to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

My smith said the rest of the gun is fine and that someone who knew what they were doing would likely be able to make the barrel right again or if they did not want to mess with it, a new barrel would do the trick and you would be ready to go

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some where in the forum there were threads about ATI receivers being out of spec.

This is how a Galil barrel is installed there is no peening of anything involved. If this "gunsmith" did this he has most likely wrecked your rifle, the barrel and maybe the receiver as well.

You would need to send it to Jeff to get his opinion on fixing it or if it would even be possible.
My smith said the rest of the gun is fine and that someone who knew what they were doing would likely be able to make the barrel right again or if they did not want to mess with it, a new barrel would do the trick and you would be ready to go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts