AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thank you for info you can share.
I have a spreadsheet of all my firearms so that if anything happens to me, my wife can sell the lot and have a working knowledge of what they are worth. I'm not an idiot and don't randomly show her the $ I've spent, so she knows it exists, but AFAIK she's never opened up the folder with all the info in it, or I'm pretty sure she would have killed me and started selling off the collection.
I digress.
In any event, I know what I paid for this guy, but pricing I find on the interwebs are literally all over the place.
It's pre-ban, SN 19XX, KASSNAR stamps; and has never been fired. Comes with everything, to include the warranty card all unused/unfired.
Anyone give me a roundabout est of it's worth?

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
last one i saw was same as yours NIB but underfolder. went for a $3k that was a year ago.
not sure if fixed stock less or more valuable. also i'm not particularly knowledgeable in hungarian imports.
IMO $3k for basic AKM even new in the box still $1k more than i would pay. but i'm not hungarian collector nor in ban-state.
if you come across a buyer who is both of those things you can get even more (most likely).
try ban-state forums classifieds first at max ask. if not bites then put it on the GB with $2k starting price and $3k reserve and see where people will take it.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
As I remember it, the fixed stock Kassnar imports were more rare than the folder. If my memory is correct, something like 2000 fixed stock and 3000 folders were imported.

That said in today's dollars, $3000 for one like you have would probably make someone very happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
last one i saw was same as yours NIB but underfolder. went for a $3k that was a year ago.
not sure if fixed stock less or more valuable. also i'm not particularly knowledgeable in hungarian imports.
IMO $3k for basic AKM even new in the box still $1k more than i would pay. but i'm not hungarian collector nor in ban-state.
if you come across a buyer who is both of those things you can get even more (most likely).
try ban-state forums classifieds first at max ask. if not bites then put it on the GB with $2k starting price and $3k reserve and see where people will take it.
Thank you.
Not going to sell it, but words of wisdom to pass along to the wife if I shuffle off the mortal coil.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Not going to sell it, but words of wisdom to pass along to the wife if I shuffle off the mortal coil.
You're approaching this wrong. Knowing what a gun is supposed to be worth and knowing how to get that amount are two different things. Don't worry about what they're worth now as that will change. If that rifle doubles in value over the next five years, do you want your wife to sell it for what it's worth right now? Your goal with every firearm should be to get the maximum amount possible. Your best bet is to consign the guns with a GunBroker seller who would take care of all the listing details. Or, consign them with a large volume gun store that is knowledgeable about the value of the guns in your collection. Either way, patience is the key. If someone who doesn't know about guns thinks they can walk in to a gun store and get what they're worth, they're mistaken. Having the right sellers who can target those who are willing to pay is what you need. This isn't just true of guns, it's true of all collectibles. So, your goal now should be to find who's going to sell your guns. Assuming that you continue to live, you'll likely need to update this from time to time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're approaching this wrong. Knowing what a gun is supposed to be worth and knowing how to get that amount are two different things. Don't worry about what they're worth now as that will change. If that rifle doubles in value over the next five years, do you want your wife to sell it for what it's worth right now? Your goal with every firearm should be to get the maximum amount possible. Your best bet is to consign the guns with a GunBroker seller who would take care of all the listing details. Or, consign them with a large volume gun store that is knowledgeable about the value of the guns in your collection. Either way, patience is the key. If someone who doesn't know about guns thinks they can walk in to a gun store and get what they're worth, they're mistaken. Having the right sellers who can target those who are willing to pay is what you need. This isn't just true of guns, it's true of all collectibles. So, your goal now should be to find who's going to sell your guns. Assuming that you continue to live, you'll likely need to update this from time to time.
Good advice and thank you.
Been buying and selling guns, mostly higher end 1911's for some years now. Have a decent collection of rifles where this one is not close in value to some of the others.
But, I have a few that will remain unfired mostly as an investment, and this is one of them. In the contents of the spreadsheet are two people I trust who have been in this industry for some years and would help her get top dollar for my pistols and my ARs/bolt guns/shotguns. However, my AK collection is harder as the only person I know on a personal level who could give her an idea of their value is Jim Fuller, and I'm not going to ask him or Karen to come out and price the things. And my AKs (apart from this one) have been put through the ringer as I don't baby my guns.
So, if I were to personally sell it, I'd put it on Gunbroker and watch the FOMO people bid astronomical numbers. But, for my wife, I want the path of least resistance, and a handy guide of value is helpful.
Also, I carry additional insurance and places like this help me get a better understanding of value to insure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm glad someone else made mention of the 'wood issue' rather than I ! I noted that the very instant I saw it. First, what you're doing in regards to your collection's overall values is most commendable, primarily for your Wife of course. My Wife has 'an idea' that mine can be extremely valuable, yet has no relative knowledge as to individual values & selling prices, ect. I need to pick some computer program, which will allow me to price each weapon by both relative 'price range' value & of by by Serial #, so there will be no chance of misidentification as to the particular weapon in question. Now, as for your Kassnar [ of Pennsylvania ] Import, FEG' manufactured Hungarian Model SA85M, it waz without a doubt had its wood refinished at some point in time. Also, you are quite correct in your assumption that the Full Stock variant is the more rare of the two types, thereby 'theoretically' being more desirable amongst collectors. ( However, that's no guarantee that an respective purchaser may be interested in the the Full Stock, even though significantly less were imported. ) When I purchased my example, the Dealer had only one for sale, & it was the Full Stock, where I had long desired an Under-Folder. Yet in retrospect, it appears I ended up with the rarer of the two. For as information became available, I learned that a total of 7,000 pieces imported under the U.S. State Department granted Waiver, with only 3,000 being Full Stock & the 4,000 balance being the Under-Folding Models. As for its current market value ? Well, as you probably have learned, that is very difficult to actually pin down ? It 'appears' that some sellers are 'asking' somewhere around the $3,000 mark. Yet, the important & most relevant factor is are they actually selling at that particular price ? ( And that is somewhat difficult to confirm ? ) And always remember, if some collector simply 'must' have something, they will pay over & above for an item they feel they can't pass up, especially one either MIB or NIB !! I will say one thing in regards to these Pre-Ban Kassnar examples, & that's that even when the Market is flooded with AK's, with no particular Ban in effect, they indeed appear to retain their value. Yet, as I said before, it's all driven by just how bad someone wants it !! I apologize I couldn't be more precise in relation to pricing, but you may rest assured that your Hungarian SA85M is definitely a desirable & valuable item. In closing, I strongly suggest you have someone, preferably an expert try to refinish your Wooden components back to their light blond 'steamed' configuration. Hopefully this can be accomplished without any issues, although I'm not at all certain it could be done ? Good Luck !!

Best regards, Dom P.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Pad, Now that you point that out, I believe you are correct. That would negatively impact the value.
OP has a great firearm overall even if it could have been stored better. If I was a buyer on that piece, it would detract from my offer also. Hungarian wood is blond, not Chicom golden brown.

That is why one should not store your firearms in the original case, oil soaked plastic bag, Styrofoam case, foam padded case or even a soft style zipper case. This also goes for accessories and related gear.

It took me a couple of years to find a nice blond stock set versus the oil soaked one that came with my kit built Hungarian AK-63D. Even still it is not perfect,

If I go before my wife, all my firearms, tools, collections and guy stuff has a buyer prearranged. Given what I've seen scumbags do to widows, that gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Who here plans to predecease their spouse? Men are usually older than their wives and often die earlier than the woman.

And how does one prearrange a person to value and sell their collection? What if that person becomes disabled or worse, dies first?

• Love
Reactions: gonogo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who here plans to predecease their spouse? Men are usually older than their wives and often die earlier than the woman.

And how does one prearrange a person to value and sell their collection? What if that person becomes disabled or worse, dies first?
Considering my wife is a saint and I’m generally a giant ass (pretty sure not just my opinion) I’ll more than likely outlive her since the mean ones always live the longest- life’s cruel mystery.
As for how to arrange a person to help out, you might do a Google search for your area and see who does consignment firearms sales.
Or, if you have a trustworthy friend/relative that is smart and willing to do a little research, they can help her.
I’ve just been lucky to know a number of people in the industry I can rely on. Plus I have a BIL I don’t mind inheriting some and one young daughter that has picked up an interest in firearms even at age 10.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts

My deal is not a common deal in today's world, it is a deal between friends and family.

Without getting specific, my buyers have a fund set up, which money is added to per the value of the items. All of the items for sale are listed. The value is updated, a discount is given for a one and done buy if I go first. It is not a legal binding contract. Nothing official. It's just funds for the purchase whether I go first or I want to sell some or the majority at any time as I get older. I have used it to sell items.

Back when looking someone in the eye, giving a firm handshake or a man's word meant his honor this was not uncommon way of doing public or private business.

·
Registered
In the forest at end of a long dirt road in Ga
529 Posts
Post up a safe queen laying on a mound of mud in the woods after have just fired a few hundred rounds of corrosive ammo thru her..

..that's what gets me to ogling over collectible AK's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts