AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been throwing around the idea of getting a Maadi and well I'd rather get a pre-89 one just so I can configure it however I want without worrying about the US parts count issue. Plus it'll hold a higher value in the long run. What's the running price for a preban Steyr Maadi these days? I think I might have found a pretty good deal on one. Hopefully it's still for sale when I get the money together....

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Last time I looked was about November, and they were in the $1200 range..

I think they have gone up a bit though.

However, I think they would really only hold value if you didnt mess with it. Really, the only reason to buy one is to have an original, all factory made AKM. Start messing around with it, and you have ruined that..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stottman said:
Last time I looked was about November, and they were in the $1200 range..

I think they have gone up a bit though.

However, I think they would really only hold value if you didnt mess with it. Really, the only reason to buy one is to have an original, all factory made AKM. Start messing around with it, and you have ruined that..
All I would do is swap out the wood for Russian AKM wood. I wasn't going to bubba it. I would keep the original wood in case for some ungodly reason I had to sell it.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
With that same reasoning, using an NDS receiver (or most any) with one of the Russian AKM's kits from the PLO bunch is still very noticeable due to some of the aesthetic issues with the receiver.

It's a matter of closeness to the look of a Russian - but it'll never be quite there.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Maadi

If you buy one and it's in good condition once you see it you won't want to change the wood. There is a big difference between pre and post ban guns, I know alot of people say there isn't but trust me there is.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Maadi

ryanj52 said:
If you buy one and it's in good condition once you see it you won't want to change the wood. There is a big difference between pre and post ban guns, I know alot of people say there isn't but trust me there is.
:shock:

I like et.....What part of Louisiana are you in?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
maadi

The Lafayette area, what about you? I've owned both, and the friends of mine that own ARM's couldn't believe the difference, fit and finish is far better. I paid a premium for mine, but it was worth it. I should have taken a pic with the Egyptian mag, it looks alot better, it matches the finish of the rifle. I also have a brown bayonet, but I bought it seperate from the rifle so the numbers don't match the rifle, but that's ok. If your close and you want to check it out, let me know.

Good luck

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: maadi

ryanj52 said:
The Lafayette area, what about you? I've owned both, and the friends of mine that own ARM's couldn't believe the difference, fit and finish is far better. I paid a premium for mine, but it was worth it. I should have taken a pic with the Egyptian mag, it looks alot better, it matches the finish of the rifle. I also have a brown bayonet, but I bought it seperate from the rifle so the numbers don't match the rifle, but that's ok. If your close and you want to check it out, let me know.

Good luck
I'm about an hour north of the Bossier/Shreveport area. I'm not sure how far Lafayette is from my location. I'm willing to bet it's a bit to far just for a look at that Maadi. As nice as it is....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Changing the wood on a preban Steyr is not going to hurt anything as long as it is totally reversible and you keep the old wood. The Russian wood is better quality than the Egyptian wood and looks a lot better. I have done this to my Steyr.

I have also changed the trigger group to a Romy trigger group. One of the gripes I had about the Steyr is the trigger slap. So I changed it with a modified Romy group and no more trigger slap. But I still have the orginal trigger group so it can be changed back.

I have shot many thousands of rounds thru mine and I still think that it is the creme da la creme of AKs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts