AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share some solutions i found for storing AK mags on my combat/zombie rig. Theres so much out there for the evil black rifles but not much for AK. so heres what i used on my interceptor IBA vest:

1)gov't issue mag shingles for m-16. I got mine from uncle sam, but ive seen them in surpluss stores for el-cheapo ($5-10 bucks)
2)Fmco's awesome ak tripple mag pouches on the back ($19.99)

on the shingles, all you have to do is tuck the snaps of the shingle down inside the pouch area and the pressure hold the mags in excellently. also, if you want to go over to the darkside you could use this same rig for .223 AR platforms.

i wanted to keep a low profile on the front of my vest for firing from the prone. the mags in the back are for replenishing the loadout in the front.
(if i need more than 7 mags......i'm going home :grin: )
IBA front

IBA rear

Shingle

FMCO inside

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a nice setup. I don't know if I like the no-retention-havin' shingles, but it looks like it would ride well.

I'd like to get a couple of them FMCO mag pouches myself.

Do you have a dump pouch for your mags on there? Is that a FAK on the bak? and if so can you reach it easily? Does your setup lend itself easily to vehicle-borne transport? What do you keep in the frag pouches?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is one of my GI issued medical pouches on the back, i managed to get about 3 from my our unkle sam when i was in the desert. they all still have all the quik-clot, hem-con bandages, and plenty of other cool stuff. you can't reach it too easily, but to answer another of your questions, in the front frag pouches i keep your standard gi bandages, cravats, bandannas, a tampon, and another tournaquitte. they fit in the frag pouches really well. and if i need to bust out the heavy medical equipment, i'm either taking that vest off, or somebody else is gonna b working on me.

This is the basic setup i had in iraq, and rides descent in a vehicle short-term or average distances.. i would strip it if i was gonna be in the gunners hatch. if i was gonna be primarily mechanized, i would strip the extra mags off the back, put the medical stuff up front, and use a bandoleer over the back of the seat or somewhere for x-tra mags.

no dump pouch- cargo pockets.

The real benefit for me is the mobility of this setup. you can duck/ crouch/ bend/ move/go prone without any interferance. when the equipment all sticksout they tend to hit your thighs a/o limit movement if you dont watch it. and i hate thigh rigs for pistols and what not.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The FMCO pouches are available at the links below. be sure to select molle or alice, and the q/release adjustable buckles cost only one penny more. if you dont select that, the buckle is much like the old m-16 mag pouch. i like the sinch type q/r buckles like on mine. I am not associated with FMCO so believe me when i say these pouches are AWESOME. Tough, sturdy, well made, and best of all cheap. mine are OD and look good, but the woodland color looks a little jank though in pictures but i havent seen any in person.

http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/005.html#14 is the link to the mag pouches

http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/ is the homepage they have lots of bada$$ stuff.

http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/001.html#1is a link to a pretty cool looking vest, but i havent tried it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Do you ever think those magazines ride a little high on your chest? I can see when drawing them you'd damn near hit yourself in the chin with your arm. Of course, its easier to visualize once I've seen it on a person...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ah, knew I'd seen that thing before somewhere.

The mag slots look like they're cut about the same as my ATS single (tall) and 3-slot mag shingles, very efficient design. The length and different cut make them a lot easier to use, even with AK mags.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts