AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around on Gunbroker and saw a 9mm PPS-43C listed for sale. Intrigued, I did a quick web search and Classic Arms has them in stock right now:

PPS-43C Pistol 9mm Variation

They come with two mags, and I assume they are just the standard PPS-43 7.62 Tok mags.

I will know for sure as I already ordered a gun and it is on the way! I should have it in a few days and will report back on it! :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I ordered one aswell a couple of days ago when CA posted them on FB. I really wanted them when royal tiger listed them but they were for 550 or something like that. I was stoked when I saw CA have them for $428 shipped to my ffl. I am curious about the mags. If they are the same as the other caliber mags, then I have a bunch of extras but knowing my luck they aren't interchangeable. I'm sure at most it's a follower. Regardless I am stoked about getting one in 9mm. Dream come true. I love older guns

OH! And I can't wait to SBR this bad boy! I really hope the perm attached stock is easily reversible

·
Registered
292 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow and will try to get some pictures up this weekend. They've modded the normal pps-43 mag bodies and follower. A strip of material has been added to the inside of the mag body in back. The follower is shorter to accommodate that change. Seems like a solution in search of a problem as I've heard the regular mags work just fine with 9mm. We'll see tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow and will try to get some pictures up this weekend. They've modded the normal pps-43 mag bodies and follower. A strip of material has been added to the inside of the mag body in back. The follower is shorter to accommodate that change. Seems like a solution in search of a problem as I've heard the regular mags work just fine with 9mm. We'll see tomorrow...
Can you see how it runs with modded mags vs. the regular mags? Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Can you see how it runs with modded mags vs. the regular mags? Appreciate it.

I have hand cycled the OG mag and it did fine. No updates on firing it yet so I cant confirm that these function 100%. Word on the webs is that they work just fine. After hand cycling with no problems, I dont see there being any issues but as soon as I get mine back from the engraver I will test them out and report.

Only differences I noticed were that the OG mags fit a lil tighter. There is a hole in the new mags where there is a dent in the others. and obviously the follower and plastic crap in the new mag.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Looks to me like after the cartridges are loaded past the follower, there is no difference. I am guessing it should work if this is the only mod.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's some info and pics:

Outward appearance between the 7.62x25 and 9x19 versions are exactly the same, as would be expected. The only real differences between the two weapons are the caliber of the barrel that is installed and the magazines that come with it. All of the internals are the same...

The mags that come with the 9x19 version are modified, which frankly seems to be a solution in search of a problem to me. I've always heard that the regular magazines work fine with 9x19, though you do have a bit of extra room in the mag since the 9x19 is shorter than the 7.62x25. I haven't had a chance to shoot this yet to verify. Hopefully that will happen next week.

The 9x19 magazines have a plastic insert pinned to the back edge of the mag body and a cut down follower to match.

Here is a pic of the two mags, 7.62x25 on top and 9x19 on bottom:

You can see where the insert is pinned in multiple places on the bottom magazine...

Here is a pic from the mouth of the magazine that shows the insert and the cut down follower in comparision with a regular magazine. 7.62x25 on top and 9x19 on bottom:

And a picture of the followers themselves. 9x19 on left and 7.62x25 on right:

And a picture of the nasty weld in the inside of the modified 9x19 follower:

Frankly I think the 9x19 magazines are completely unnecessary, but need to get some range time to verify that the regular magazines function fine. $9.99 for 7.62x25 magazines verses $29.95 for 9x19? I know which one I'll stock up on!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Here's some info and pics:

Outward appearance between the 7.62x25 and 9x19 versions are exactly the same, as would be expected. The only real differences between the two weapons are the caliber of the barrel that is installed and the magazines that come with it. All of the internals are the same...

The mags that come with the 9x19 version are modified, which frankly seems to be a solution in search of a problem to me. I've always heard that the regular magazines work fine with 9x19, though you do have a bit of extra room in the mag since the 9x19 is shorter than the 7.62x25. I haven't had a chance to shoot this yet to verify. Hopefully that will happen next week.

The 9x19 magazines have a plastic insert pinned to the back edge of the mag body and a cut down follower to match.

Here is a pic of the two mags, 7.62x25 on top and 9x19 on bottom:

You can see where the insert is pinned in multiple places on the bottom magazine...

Here is a pic from the mouth of the magazine that shows the insert and the cut down follower in comparision with a regular magazine. 7.62x25 on top and 9x19 on bottom:

And a picture of the followers themselves. 9x19 on left and 7.62x25 on right:

And a picture of the nasty weld in the inside of the modified 9x19 follower:

Frankly I think the 9x19 magazines are completely unnecessary, but need to get some range time to verify that the regular magazines function fine. $9.99 for 7.62x25 magazines verses $29.95 for 9x19? I know which one I'll stock up on!
I just want a 9mm barrel so i can covert mine over

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
So buy one from KVAR. I believe they sell them:
The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

probably not the same. Yeah, it says ppsh, not pps, my bad.

On a side note. I tried mine out this past weekend. Really made a bad first impression. I was hunting and we decided to take a brake I decided to show off my new badass pistol. 1st round failed to chamber properly, which is weird because I made sure it was all the way forward, regardless, I almost blew my left hand off. Some shrapnel definitely drew blood. The round completely exploded in the receiver. Not much was in the barrel from the look of it, well compared to the other rounds that didnt explode. Needless to say I looked pretty stupid showing off my new badass pistol. And I was being safe about it. But didnt expect it to do that the first time either. I think I was using the older mags. So I tried the new mag and almost every round has a rim round where it didnt fully go into the chamber. Not sure why. Maybe I need to clean the poop out of this thing first. I watched a video on how to take it apart and the guy was soaking it in WD-40. Do these things need to be super wet to run? I have no idea. I have handled AKs and ARs and many different firearms for over 20 year and never have had this happen.

Was using Narinco 9mm Parabellum
I didnt modify the ppsh43c in any way. It was clean, and looked well oiled. I pulled the charging handle back and let it go when I chambered a round. didnt ride it in, but gave it a forward assist after to make sure it was properly chambered and I dont know what happened from there. BOOM, I guess.

I even hand cycled some rounds when I first got it to check how the mags fed and it worked fine so I donno. Looking into it more when I get time. I will report back.

·
Registered
265 Posts
just buy a new 9mm Suomi Barrel for $ 84 off of GB, there is a thread on AKfiles how much you need to modify it, and its not much

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My guess would be that the modded mags are A. to sell proprietary mags for more money & B. to prevent the accidental loading of 7.62x25mm into your 9mm firearm. The latter only being plausible if you actually have any 7.62x25mm in this time of scarcity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this normal? I would think not. Getting alot of these:
what you are getting is "normal" for a subgun that is converted to semi-auto, but not normal for a real semi-auto. the gun you have was designed to function by a "pre-ignition" system that uses fixed firing pin and fires the cartridge micro-seconds before the bolt/cartridge is in full battery, while the bolt still has forward momentum. this allows the bolt to be lighter and still OK in a blowback system that has no locking other than the mass of the bolt (and the resistance of the spring, which is marginal).

when you convert the bolt to floating firing pin and "closed bolt" function, the bolt is in full battery before the cartridge is fired. because there is no forward momentum now in the equation, the bolt backs partially out of battery before the bullet leaves the barrel, and the case is partially extracted by remaining gas pressure, which also blows out the sidewalls. if a slightly more powerful cartridge was used you might experience dramatic case failure that results in gas venting. the difference is microseconds in timing.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
what you are getting is "normal" for a subgun that is converted to semi-auto, but not normal for a real semi-auto. the gun you have was designed to function by a "pre-ignition" system that uses fixed firing pin and fires the cartridge micro-seconds before the bolt/cartridge is in full battery, while the bolt still has forward momentum. this allows the bolt to be lighter and still OK in a blowback system that has no locking other than the mass of the bolt (and the resistance of the spring, which is marginal).

when you convert the bolt to floating firing pin and "closed bolt" function, the bolt is in full battery before the cartridge is fired. because there is no forward momentum now in the equation, the bolt backs partially out of battery before the bullet leaves the barrel, and the case is partially extracted by remaining gas pressure, which also blows out the sidewalls. if a slightly more powerful cartridge was used you might experience dramatic case failure that results in gas venting. the difference is microseconds in timing.
Wow, thank you for the reply. Started to think my posts were invisible. I really appreciate the explication! Thanks! Glad I don't have a lemon. I really like this gun.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Would it be possible to correct it with a heavier spring?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts