AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about picking up one of those PPs-43 'Pistols' that Wise Lite Arms is making and Military Gun Supply is distributing.
I know that the PPsH-41's have been nothing but trouble, and I have heard both good and bad about the Pps-43's. Some of the bad stems from people using bad ammo.
So does anyone here on the board have one?
How do you like it?
What trouble, if any, have you had?

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I got one last year and it went screwy. Here's an excerpt of the message I posted about it:

got my PPS-43 from MGS a few days ago and finally took it to the range today. It's a great weapon and is definately a candidate for an SBR later down the road. The pinned buttstock is screaming to fold-out.

I used some 85gr. rounds and fired a full stick magazine with very minimal recoil. Because of that, it seems to be pretty accurate at 10-20 yards. The bolt is heavy and thick, and it has a long way to travel back and forth so it feels a bit clumsy. But after a few rounds, it's easy to compensate for the Russian crudeness in design of the weapon.

When I started shooting another magazine at a faster rate, the last round must've had its primer struck while being forced into the chamber because the casing literally exploded/mushroomed-out and was smashed into the chamber by the bolt. When it happened, the last to rounds were almost indistinguishable as they were fired so fast.

Upon inspection, the casing was smashed into the chamber and unburned powder was sprinkled throughout the inside of the receiver near the chamber area. The way you must hold the PPS-43 with your left hand gripped around the upper portion of the magazine/magazine support near the bolt allowed my thumb to be peppered with powder and some pieces of metal from the casing causing some bleeding/strawberry effect.

I'll be taking some photos of the inside of the weapon before and after cleaning, as well as the exploded casing, but the hammer will not fall most of the time after being charged. Will be sending the information/photos to MGS and see what they say but I understand it was a new and newly designed weapon. But it's really fun weapon and goes very well with any WW2/Korean War/Vietnam War set-up as you rarely see them. And it's a "blast" to shoot...okay, sorry about that
However, I sent it back and spoke to a nice fellow that builds them/handles fixing the return weapons and he explained the whole issue with them. It was a case of some tweaks needed to the bolt/bolt carrier and other small things. He explained they've had to go back and tweak all the PPS-43's in the inventory and has pretty much caught up with those previously purchased that showed issues. He said not all needed the fix but several. But after it was returned, it ran like a champ.

I wouldn't be concerned with much regarding the weapon as this took place last year and they seemed to be determined to fix all that needed the tweak. By now, there shouldn't be an issue with very many. Especially one purchased from MGS as all newly manufactured ones have the fix and those in MGS's inventory received fixes if any were needed.
Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I read that post over on gunboards? At least it sounds familiar, what kind of ammo were you using?
I have heard the Bulgarian 7.62x25 is a bit iffy.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
That was probably the main culprit of the whole thing for me. It was cheap, surplus ammo if memory serves me. Regardless, the weapon needed the fixes that were done. I'll have to look it up as I can't remember his name, but the guy that fixes them for MGS told me all the ammo they've tested them on and it was quite a lot. He did say to stick with commercial ammo if possible but all 7.62x25mm ammo was adequate with it. He told me that they use a lot of surplus and old Norinco ammo to test with - he said he figured he'd use ammo that most folks might use in it to be sure of correct function.

I'll see if I can find his telephone number. Very open and good to talk to.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Is there any way you can post pictures of the bolt/bolt mods, fire control... basically the guts in detail??

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
rayman1 said:
I could - there's really not much to it. Will try to get some photos tonight.
Fantastic! Thanks. I've been sitting on a kit for a long time now and want to build it into a pistol, but keep it looking as original as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts