AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is powder coating exactly and can it be done on a small scale... like say a guy's garage?

I have a few small items that I want to refinish and was wondering about this method as an option.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Powder coating is basically a powdered paint that you "spray" onto a part via electric charge, ie you charge the part positive, and then you charge the powder negative and spray it onto the part. It will then coat the part, and "stick" long enough for you to put it into an oven. The powder needs heat to melt together and form a solid covering on the part. I guess you could think of it like a plastic.

Once its heated for the right time and temp, you let it cool and boom you have a good looking finish, that is very durable.

you can do it in a garage if you want. Most start out with an old electric oven to use to bake the parts, and their are hobbyist type kits out there with everything you need to get started.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What is powder coating exactly and can it be done on a small scale... like say a guy's garage?

I have a few small items that I want to refinish and was wondering about this method as an option.
Harbor Freight sells a diy powder coat kit...electrostatic gun and powder in several basic colors.

Powder coat is extremely durable coating but it is relatively thick so you need to be careful if clearances are critical and tape off areas/plug holes etc that are dimensionally critical .

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw a guy on Youtube spray with Rustoleum appliance finish like they use on stoves and frigs. Then he baked everything in his oven. Came out great and hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts