AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Well I do not have pic's but last weekend when I was in NE ohio I got a few things cheap

1. Egyptian Maadi sling... 2 bucks :grin:

2. A bag that contained,
M60 cleaning rods
2x Nagant Pistol cleaning rods
1 qt. tin of GI bore cleaner
1x two ounce plastic bottle of GI bore cleaner 1969
1917 USGI MG oil tin
Squad 1911 Bango oil tin
one AK oil bottle
2x Swede oil tins (double type)
2x Swede Oil tins, w/ bore brush inside (double type, one side larger)
1x Mosin oil tin.... ALL FOR 10 bucks

3. Then I found a 1/35 scale model Huey for 1 dollar. I was happy. If your from NE Ohio you got to hit the Rogers sale. Lots of great stuff. Plus Tube sock heaven! :wink:

· Registered
2,974 Posts
I got a WW1 era entrenching tool a couple of weeks ago at an estate sale. It now rides in a place of prominance in my truck. I found a Vietnam era care pack with the gum, candy, toilet paper, and a little 5 pack of cigarettes at the same sale - unopened. Both items 5 dollars total.

· Registered
23,510 Posts
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
$17 set of bags containing Interceptor Body Armor vest, PASGT helmet, BDU's, combat boots, ALICE pack, angle flashlight, ALICE web gear, two stretchers, US duffle bag, and some other stuff I don't remember.
holy shit! :bigwow:

winner so far is you.

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
hell, the only thing I ever find is Beanie Babies...if I wanted those I would just go to a gun show!

My wife does have a good idea when she has hers. She sells, iced down cokes for .75/ea..EVERY kid has to have one!

· Registered
23,510 Posts
Rotdorn said:
hell, the only thing I ever find is Beanie Babies...if I wanted those I would just go to a gun show!!
...oh my God...I know *exactly* what you mean.

Between those people, the 'arts and crafts' folks, the guy with the laboratory equipment and the guy selling 'space rocks' (2k and way up for a fucking meteorite... honestly???)...I'm surprised some shows are even advertised as 'gun shows.'

The killer for me was the "Guitar Hero Tournament" one show had... not kidding. I mean... its all well and good to try to get younger folks into shows but that's not the way to go about it.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
10Gauge said:
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
$17 set of bags containing Interceptor Body Armor vest, PASGT helmet, BDU's, combat boots, ALICE pack, angle flashlight, ALICE web gear, two stretchers, US duffle bag, and some other stuff I don't remember.

winner so far is you.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever come across anything like that again.

Basically what happened was I walked by and there was a bunch of military stuff laying out on a tarp. I asked how much for the helmet, the guy said $5, so I held on to it while I kept digging. After I had done the same thing with some ALICE gear and an IBA piece, they guy said "I don't have time for your cherrypicking, just take it all for $20." All I had was $17 on me, so I told the guy I'll pay him back next time I see him. That was three years ago, I still go to that flea market almost every weekend, and that guy has never asked for his $3.

I kept some stuff for personal use, let a friend have a pick, and sold the rest for a huge profit (over $300) to buy ammo and fishing gear.

· Registered
23,510 Posts
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
10Gauge said:
[quote="Norinco QBZ-95":3mb0rupq]$17 set of bags containing Interceptor Body Armor vest, PASGT helmet, BDU's, combat boots, ALICE pack, angle flashlight, ALICE web gear, two stretchers, US duffle bag, and some other stuff I don't remember.

winner so far is you.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever come across anything like that again.

Basically what happened was I walked by and there was a bunch of military stuff laying out on a tarp. I asked how much for the helmet, the guy said $5, so I held on to it while I kept digging. After I had done the same thing with some ALICE gear and an IBA piece, they guy said "I don't have time for your cherrypicking, just take it all for $20." All I had was $17 on me, so I told the guy I'll pay him back next time I see him. That was three years ago, I still go to that flea market almost every weekend, and that guy has never asked for his $3.

I kept some stuff for personal use, let a friend have a pick, and sold the rest for a huge profit (over $300) to buy ammo and fishing gear.[/quote:3mb0rupq]

That reminds me of the time I was at a little shop in a surrounding town.. found a level IV SAPI plate.. asked how much.. guy said 20 bucks.. *YOINK!* ....asked if there were any more.. nope.. okay here you go.. bye!

· Registered
3,880 Posts
My friend's dad was telling me about back in the late 70's he bought a WWII 1911 for some cheap price. Even better was the fact that there was a gold coin under each grip plate. Apparently pilots used to stash gold coins that way so they have some cash in case they were shot down.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
bishopm14 said:
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
so I told the guy I'll pay him back next time I see him...... and that guy has never asked for his $3.
Yeah, he really shouldn't have to ask. But that's my old fashioned side showing I guess :roll:
Well, my Asian side showed (with no offense to any other Asians here).

10Gauge said:
That reminds me of the time I was at a little shop in a surrounding town.. found a level IV SAPI plate.. asked how much.. guy said 20 bucks.. *YOINK!* ....asked if there were any more.. nope.. okay here you go.. bye!
Surprisingly enough, military surplus stuff shows up at the local flea market all the time. I can get BDU's at under $5 a set. I once got five sets of brand new Desert Combat Uniforms for $60, still with the tags on them. I gifted two to friends and sold the other three for $30 a set. Last year, I got a set of ACU's for $4. Last week, I found some M16 Blank Fire Adaptors mixed in with used tools.

About two months ago, I saw a guy selling two ATF marked hardhats at $5 each. I thought about buying them just for shits and giggles, but I decided not to waste my money.

· Registered
23,510 Posts
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
My friend's dad was telling me about back in the late 70's he bought a WWII 1911 for some cheap price. Even better was the fact that there was a gold coin under each grip plate. Apparently pilots used to stash gold coins that way so they have some cash in case they were shot down.
wow. kinda like how people find money in old clothes they buy from the salvation army.

BTW if I send you that chili, could you send me some awesome milsurp swag finding mojo? That would be greeeeeat.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
10Gauge said:
Norinco QBZ-95 said:
wow. kinda like how people find money in old clothes they buy from the salvation army.

BTW if I send you that chili, could you send me some awesome milsurp swag finding mojo? That would be greeeeeat.
I don't know, but it's probably contained in the Old Bay Seasoning I'm sending you.

I guess it's all about being in the right place at the right time.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
My best garage sale buy was in 2002. On the Sunday before the garage sale was going to happen my friend calls me and tells me his dads friend had passed away and his wife was going to sell his guns in the garage sale the next week. Being Sunday I really did not want to drive the hour and a half each way to probably go look at some guns. My buddy then tells me ther are some HK rifles which sparks my interest but I figured they would probably be clones. We get there and the lady takes us to detatched garage and there are about 4 or 5 tables made out of 4'x8" sheets of plywood and saw horses. There on the tables were about 10 or 12 rifles and 5 pistols. I immediately saw the 2 HK rifles, a NIB HK 93 with bipod, and a LNIB HK91. Then my attention was again drawn to an AK and a Model A Uzi sitting on another table. I had never owned an AK but knew about the Pre 89s and Mak 90s. It was a Pre 89 Norinco Underfolder in Excellent condition. I immediately called my dad (being a college student I did not have alot of money) My dad tells me to make an offer on all the guns. She would not accept any of my offers for all the guns. So I made an offer on the 2 HKs, the AK and the UZI, no deal. So I offered her $1500 for the 2 HK rifles and without missing a beat she said "sure" So I bought the 2 HK rifles and went for the AK and Uzi. She wanted $1000 for the Uzi and that was final. So I offerd her $400 for the AK and she said "sure" So I am trying not to break my arm reaching for my checkbook. She then asks if I want the "stuff" that goes with the rifles. I said sure and she points to a big 37" TV box that is full of stuff. I got about 25 Chinese AK magazines, a 75 Round Chinese drum, a 100 round Chinese drum, Chinese chest rigs, 20 or so steel HK91 mags, 10 30 round South African mags, 30 or so aluminum 20 rounders, 5 aluminum 40 round HK93 mags, 4 steel 20 roundrs, about 20 Uzi mags, 2 Sten gun parts kits, a MK III and a MK 5 with about 40 mags, a Hensoldt 4x24 scope with HK mount, various Eastern European inert grenades, 40mm smoke and paracute flares and about 20 boxes of various 26.5mm flares and smoke. Then she asks if I want the ammo, I say sure and she points to the corner and there are crates and ammo cans stacked about waist high. 5 1/2 cases of Norinco yellow box steel core 7.62x39, 2 plastic tubs of South African .308 in sealed 200 round battle packs, 2 huge boxes of Indian .308 that was shipped from Century Arms back in 1986. 8 .50 cal ammo cans filled with a Lake City ss109 with mixed dates, a can of Lake City tracer, 4 full cases of Winchester 9mm, a couple of .30 cal cans filled with Lake City 30/06 on enbloc clips from 1943. I got very lucky that day and have found good deals before and after that day but they have not even came close to that day. An HK 91, HK93 and a Pre 89 Norinco Underfolder for $1900. Plus all the magazines, ammo, parts and accessories I would say I had a good day at the garage sale. Just wish I could have got that Model A Uzi.

· Registered
23,510 Posts
steb4680 said:
My best garage sale buy was in 2002. On the Sunday before the garage sale was going to happen my friend calls me and tells me his dads friend had passed away and his wife was going to sell his guns in the garage sale the next week. Being Sunday I really did not want to drive the hour and a half each way to probably go look at some guns. My buddy then tells me ther are some HK rifles which sparks my interest but I figured they would probably be clones. We get there and the lady takes us to detatched garage and there are about 4 or 5 tables made out of 4'x8" sheets of plywood and saw horses. There on the tables were about 10 or 12 rifles and 5 pistols. I immediately saw the 2 HK rifles, a NIB HK 93 with bipod, and a LNIB HK91. Then my attention was again drawn to an AK and a Model A Uzi sitting on another table. I had never owned an AK but knew about the Pre 89s and Mak 90s. It was a Pre 89 Norinco Underfolder in Excellent condition. I immediately called my dad (being a college student I did not have alot of money) My dad tells me to make an offer on all the guns. She would not accept any of my offers for all the guns. So I made an offer on the 2 HKs, the AK and the UZI, no deal. So I offered her $1500 for the 2 HK rifles and without missing a beat she said "sure" So I bought the 2 HK rifles and went for the AK and Uzi. She wanted $1000 for the Uzi and that was final. So I offerd her $400 for the AK and she said "sure" So I am trying not to break my arm reaching for my checkbook. She then asks if I want the "stuff" that goes with the rifles. I said sure and she points to a big 37" TV box that is full of stuff. I got about 25 Chinese AK magazines, a 75 Round Chinese drum, a 100 round Chinese drum, Chinese chest rigs, 20 or so steel HK91 mags, 10 30 round South African mags, 30 or so aluminum 20 rounders, 5 aluminum 40 round HK93 mags, 4 steel 20 roundrs, about 20 Uzi mags, 2 Sten gun parts kits, a MK III and a MK 5 with about 40 mags, a Hensoldt 4x24 scope with HK mount, various Eastern European inert grenades, 40mm smoke and paracute flares and about 20 boxes of various 26.5mm flares and smoke. Then she asks if I want the ammo, I say sure and she points to the corner and there are crates and ammo cans stacked about waist high. 5 1/2 cases of Norinco yellow box steel core 7.62x39, 2 plastic tubs of South African .308 in sealed 200 round battle packs, 2 huge boxes of Indian .308 that was shipped from Century Arms back in 1986. 8 .50 cal ammo cans filled with a Lake City ss109 with mixed dates, a can of Lake City tracer, 4 full cases of Winchester 9mm, a couple of .30 cal cans filled with Lake City 30/06 on enbloc clips from 1943. I got very lucky that day and have found good deals before and after that day but they have not even came close to that day. An HK 91, HK93 and a Pre 89 Norinco Underfolder for $1900. Plus all the magazines, ammo, parts and accessories I would say I had a good day at the garage sale. Just wish I could have got that Model A Uzi.
new winner.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah, $1900 for 2 HK rifles and Pre 89 Norinco Underfolder was a hell of a deal. BUT when she pointed to the box and I looked in it I told myself this is one hell of a great deal now, I do not need to worry about magazines, I got a MK V Sten gun parts kit on top of the Mark III (they were both older kits and saw cut, My friend is an SOT and he built them into dealer samples or whatever he filed it under but I shot the MKV right after it it was registered and shot the Mark III last month at his first annual machine gun shoot. The mark III had Chinese markings on the mag well so it must have been a lend lease model) Then I said I now need a 26.5 mm flare gun. I still have about 4 boxes of flares left after 8 years. Then when she pointed to the corner at all the ammo which I overlooked because I was trying to contain myself over the HK rifles, I thought damn this day could not get any better. (Unless she had a gun loving super model daughter who are into dudes like me) I just looked in a couple of the boxes , crates and cans and loaded the rest up and did not see how much ammo was actually involved until I got home. Other than the day both my girls were born it was probably the second greatest day of my life. I am so proud of myself anytime I talk to anyone that knows guns, I tell the story. When I went through my divorce in 2006, I sold the HK91 for $2500 and then sold the 93 for $2800 to a guy in Houston who SBRd it and now uses it as a host rifle. I sold the Norinco last June for $1200. So I literally made $4600 and got the ammo, parts kit, magazines and other parts for free. Still sitting on some of the Norinco and South African ammo. Stuff is higher than a Giraffe's ass now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.