AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I too have a Stryder. different model, super nice, very expensive. It took about 8 months from the time I had ordered it for them to make it. It was in the early days. The one thing I don't like about it, thrusting it into body mass and your hand will slip forward onto blade. I wish they would have reshaped those tangs a bit to prevent that.

Have some less expensive sogs, just as nice as anything for function and some early Gerbers which I use to be a big fan of. Sucks I can't even get image shack to load photos any more

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love that original Kabar. I'd give my eye tooth for a "used" W2 Kabar from the pacific. That Russian fighter is cool also. I love their blade geometry.

Here's a couple ones I'm lucky to have:

The one and only:

This one is scary shaving sharp on both sides of the blade:

Lastly, one of mine that was a gift. A knife for a southpaw:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love my japanese made blade (before they went cheaper) SOG seal 2000 knife. When i first came out I loved the destruction tests they went through with them.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

Zero Tolerance 0150 Boot Knife. Blade 3.5 inches, S30V.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here`s a couple I made:

Gentlemand fighter in O-1 woth full brass guard, paper micarta scales, mosaic handle pin and kydex sheath.

Medium combat knife in 1095, gunkote satin black, linen micarta, and airbrushed camo kydex sheath.

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Other then some "military issue" knives I have a few (including a newer K-Bar, WWII Navy Camillus Mk I) custom made "combat knives" made by Jim "Treeman" Behring. They are not small knives but their 6" double edged blades are quite effective. Several of Jim's Combat Knives have been bloodied, carried by SpecOps Warriors (SEALS and Green Berets). Here are my two, a Spearpoint LRRP Dagger and Combat Dagger:

I forgot the mini-katana made by Wayne Hensley of Georgia:

Wayne used the mother of pearl handle from an antique fruit knife; overall the knife and sheath is about 6" long!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry for the terrible pics. I made this out of a cheap Chinese M1918 Trench Knife and an M7 bayonet blade. I cut the latch assembly off the end, welded a 1/4 - 20 bolt onto the tang an finished the handle in Alumahyde. I lopped off the circular handguard to help it ride better on a belt, then stuck it in the issue sheath.

It ain't pretty or sophisticated, but then again, it ain't intended to be...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Older thread but here are a few more "combat" knives...and some "special" knives! Although the knives for the most part have stood the ravage of time more often then not the sheaths didn't survive. When looking at these old knives if the sheath looks like it is brand new; it probably is. I have a friend from Georgia, Sandy Morrissey, a 90+ year old WWII vet, a former Navy Enlisted Pilot who had to be cut out of the wreckage of a plane in Arkansas. The Navy Doctor suggested he work with leather for physical therapy; over the next 70 years Sandy became one of the best leather workers, making knife sheaths, holsters, and other leather goods. The new sheaths are from Sandy.

Cattaragus Model 225Q. It was often called the Commando or Quartermaster knife; it has a large, thick blade and the butt of the handle is serrated/checkered; the intended purpose of the blade and butt was to open wooden crates that quartermaster supplies came in. They often times ended up in the combat soldier's hands; a much better, beefier knife. The grooves in the stacked leather washer handle were done intentionally during the manufacturing process.

Camillus Mk1 USN Knife. Although my father was 4F in WWII this knife was his; I remember playing with it when I was about 9 years old; one of the bigger boys in the neighborhood tried to take it from me - my last memory of that day was the bully running home, crying I cut him. He didn't rat me out; sort of like he'd get in just as much trouble as I would have. It wasn't a large, deep cut but it did draw blood!

I will include some of the WWII Theater Knives that I have picked up over the last few years; at the start of WWII there was (obviously) a critical shortage of material and equipments, including knives. The quality of theater knives is amazing; factory production lines were not the computerized lines of today; men used mills and other machines to make the parts being installed in the goods - in other words, there were some very skilled soldiers, sailors, marines, and coast guardsmen out there. Not all were of the highest quality;although there are some knives made that would rival some of today's custom knife makers. Without further commentary:

handle fashioned from an Olerkin 20mm brass shell casing; the headstamp references to the Raleigh Cycle Company in England
​Dagger, probably from the tip portion of a Patton Saber (Model 1913 Cavalry Saber) and the plexiglas and micarta spacers probably from a wrecked aircraf

Often times factory made knives and older bayonets with handles and blade grinding done "in theater" - in other words, near the battle front; in shipboard machine shops, aircraft repair facilities, anywhere tools were available.

here is an older leather handled K-Bar that someone added a stag crown for the butt.

Here's another factory knife (unknown maker - probably Marbles or Remington) using plexiglass and plastic spacers

Even the venerable old Krag made contributions to the War Effort; this 1900 dated bayonet was cut down to knife size

These are cut-down Kutmaster 1905 Bayonets; the chrome plated knife is more then likely modified by Kutmaster; the other done in theater. Once again this was an answer to the need for many knives (among other things) at the start of the war.

Finally even the Canadians got into the act; this is a Ross Straight pull .303 rifle bayonet ground into a fighting knife. This knife has military unit markings that I haven't researched yet.

That's enough for now I guess...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts