AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a polytech in excellent condition, with just a little rust on the metal stock and on the cleaning rod.
I am trying to get him a little info on the rifle.

On the receiver it is stamped poly tech Beijing China.

Model AKS 7.62 rifle

Imported by KPS Atlanta Georgia
I think the serial number started with CS.....

He has the box, manual, sling, 3 chrome follower mags with "made in china" floor plates.

Any info on when the rifle was made or value would be appreciated.

I am still searching for info and could not find one on gunbroker.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
thats a pre-ban rifle, which means before 89 IIRC, which they importation of non-sporting weapons was outlawed by GHWB.

PolyTechnology was the company pulling from chinese manufacturing plants to bring rifles to the US, through various importers.

The side folder model is one of the more rare and sought after.

I would put a price on it somewhere between $1500 and $2000.

If it were perfect it would probably be closer to the $2000 or maybe even a bit more.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yup, that's a keeper. The Chinese sidefolders were never imported in huge numbers, but they are one of the more interesting variants. While heavy, its stock is one of the more comfortable designs to shoot.

I'd agree with ClayC, it's probably a $1500-2000 rifle these days.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There's one on GB right now that was relisted after falling short of reserve at $1600. Don't cry, but a friend picked one up at a gunshow last weekend with sling, mag and unfired for $800. I was standing right there when he almost passed on it. I came oh so close!!!!! Are there any red mags around for these?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Holy cow, after scoring a sidefolder for $800 he should have run out and played the lottery! The ironic thing is the guy selling it probably picked it up for a couple hundred dollars new back before the AWB and thought *he* was making out OK.

The red bakelite mags pop up now and again for under $100, if you are patient you can find them for even less. The furniture ranges in color, on my sidefolder it's an orange-red and the Russian bake mags are as good a match as the red Chinese ones.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the comments and information.

I am hoping to own this rifle some day.
My buddy knows that I am an "AK guy" and he said that I would have first dibs on it when he can actually sell it.
His Step father willed" it to him before he died and my buddy doesn't feel right selling it while his stepfather is still alive. (my buddy doesn't need the money and is more of an AR guy)
I told him that he should keep it and not sell it......but if he ever does want to sell it, I would want it.

I offered him $700 when he first mentioned a red side folder stock. and when he said he had the box, manual and mags, I bumped my offer to $800.

After reading your comments, and actually getting the chance to fondle the rifle, I will have to go a little higher on my offer :grin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, as rob-cubed said above, some guys who bought them back in the day and haven't kept up with prices figure they're really makin' out with an $800 sale.

You know it's worth more, but between friends, it's whatever's cool !!

BTW rob-cubed, thanks for the mag comment. I'll pass it along to our latest lucky winner !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts