AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new Poly to replace me old one, and I was wondering if anyone has tried cutting/milling out a channel for the bayonet on a black plastic stock set? I have a set on the way, and I'm considering giving this a try. I figure if it's an unlined lower HG, then I can use a router bit or similar to cut the bayonet channel. This will allow me to save my wood stock set from being beaten up, and I think it'll look pretty cool, too...

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I am sure with minimal skillz you could mill it correctly on a drill press.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Bayo Groove

:neutral: Kinda depends on how thick the poly stuff is. Might not have it thick enough. The Polytech wood sets are awful purdy. Just received a complete set for a friend. Damn nice and a good price. Anything under $200.00 is $7.00 to ship. Cain't beat that. :wink: Madtechcool :cool:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm on the lookout for a black US made stock set to try this trick on. I'm gonna make sure that there's enough "meat" on the lower HG to be able to mill the channel for the bayonet. As long as the HG meets that criterion, I think I'm golden...

If nothing else, I can just install the set on my MAK-90 if it doesn't work on the spiker...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I don't think you will be able to do that, the interior of the lower has ridge
made for the cleaning rod & the rest is thin so what would happen is you end up destroying the lower.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does that lower HG have a reinforcing pin going through the wood, with the ends exposed on both sides. Mine has a pin in it that's sanded off flush with the wood, and that thing burns the hell out of my fingers when i shoot. My old Poly didn't have that...
If your HG doesn't have that pin in it, LMK and we can talk.

Thanks!

DC

·
Registered
464 Posts
Stock Set

doubleclaw said:
Does that lower HG have a reinforcing pin going through the wood, with the ends exposed on both sides. Mine has a pin in it that's sanded off flush with the wood, and that thing burns the hell out of my fingers when i shoot. My old Poly didn't have that...

Thanks!

DC
:neutral: Sounds like you've got laminated furniture. The pin that you're talkin' about is a reinforcement to keep the laminate together. AFAIK the chi-coms didn't use laminate. Madtechcool :cool:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Rotdorn said:
I am sure with minimal skillz you could mill it correctly on a drill press.

Drill presses are not any good for milling. They don't have enough rigidity.
You'll probly ruin it........

My 02 centavos

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Re: Stock Set

Madtechcool said:
doubleclaw said:

Thanks!

DC
:neutral: Sounds like you've got laminated furniture. The pin that you're talkin' about is a reinforcement to keep the laminate together. AFAIK the chi-coms didn't use laminate. Madtechcool :cool:
No... my Chinese lower has that pin too, no way it's laminate, it's blonde wood with a varnish finish on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts