AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the new Magpul AK mags hitting the market, I see an overwhelming confidence amongst consumers that these are the new standard for Polymer mags outside of the Bulgarian Circle 10s.

Lets share our experiences with Polymers mags (in 7.62x39) according to this list. If I miss any let me know.

1) Bulgarian Circle 10
2) US Palm
3) Tapco
4) Pro-Mag
5) Bulgarian Commercial Mags
6) Polish Commercial Mags
7) Magpul
8) Thermold
9) SGM

In no particular order

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have not abused any of the mags I have used below. These are listed in no particular order.

1) Bulgarian Circle 10
Flawless function, fell the most sturdy. Hard to find under $30 but its possible.

2) US Palm
Flawless function, feel solid, dislike the looks and lack of dis-assembly. A little to expensive.

3) Tapco
(older style) Flawless function, feel solid, dislike dimensions of bottom, like company warranty & sub $8 price

4) Pro-Mag
No experience

5) Bulgarian Commercial Mags
Flawless function in 30 & 40 round varieties. Solid construction with metal reinforcement in some critical areas. Look nice and shaped very closely to a standard AK mag. Priced right most of the time.

6) Polish Commercial Mags
No experience in field, seem a somewhat more fragile compared to others.

7) Magpul
No experience

8) Thermold
Function flawlessly (limited use). Very ugly, follower seems flimsy. Plastic seems less rigid then others so it might actually be more durable? Priced decent

9) SGM
No experience

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would love to see some video torture tests on bakes, circle 10's, Magpuls... Maybe some hammer hits, shot through, throwing against concrete, loaded and in a gun dropped from 10 feet, you know the usual. How about doing all that to a 75 round drum? I'm curious how a drum survives getting shot. (no, I'm not shooting mine)
Or, if you know of videos please let me know.
I've seen plenty of videos of Palms, Tapcos and Pro-Mags getting smashed.

·
Premium Member
13,386 Posts
Would love to see some video torture tests on bakes, circle 10's, Magpuls... Maybe some hammer hits, shot through, throwing against concrete, loaded and in a gun dropped from 10 feet, you know the usual. How about doing all that to a 75 round drum? I'm curious how a drum survives getting shot. (no, I'm not shooting mine)
Or, if you know of videos please let me know.
I've seen plenty of videos of Palms, Tapcos and Pro-Mags getting smashed.
From a recent thread about Magpul AK mags: [video=youtube;_rIst0B6N7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIst0B6N7w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIst0B6N7w[/video]

·
Registered
10 Posts
From a recent thread about Magpul AK mags: [video=youtube;_rIst0B6N7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIst0B6N7w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIst0B6N7w[/video]
Thank you, I hadn't seen that.
I should add I have mostly steel and a few plastic mags., a couple of Thermolds and a few smooth side Tapcos. No problems with them in civilian life, they're usually my choice for the range, easier to load, smoother feeding, good fit up.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Reactions: Lord AK-47

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
IMO just from a general comparison of all I would say:

1) Circle 10
2) bulgy and polish commercial
2) Magpul > US Palm > Tapco, but more or less equal. I think the magpul is a better quality mag than tapco by far, and has better features than the US palm.
3) SGM (No experience with 7.62 mags, but they are pretty good Saiga 12)
4) Promag
5) Thermold

Reactions: Lord AK-47

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
To make the right magazine choice an easy one, stick to military mags only. All military polymer mags like Russian AK-103, Circle tens, Russian Bakelites, etc. are made with steel feed lips and most importantly steel lugs for a good reason. I do poses a few commercial mags, they are the only ones I have ever had problems with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts