AK Rifles banner

Poly Tech AKS 762 price/trade value estimate?

6K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Goody929 
#1 ·
I picked this up a couple of years ago from a bundle sale (take all or take none) from an old family friend and this was part of it (who only shot his hunting rifles/shotguns). While it's neat, I'm more into the modernized/zoomer style AKs that I can throw in the dirt and not feel as bad about, so I'm contemplating trading/selling off this polytech to put it towards something more my style.

Can someone help me gather more info on it? Condition wise there's probably been less than 100 rds shot through it and the bakelite pieces seem to have been painted over. Rifle came with 8 or so Chinese mags (flatbacks).

Trying to come up with a fair/accurate sell/trade value for it.
Gas Wood Metal Composite material Bumper

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Rectangle Wood Font Natural material Composite material

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Most polytechs are about 2k to 3k (sadly for me because I'm poor).

The flat back magazines are probably Poly tech as well or Norinco so it's about $30 to $65 a magazine as well. A lot of polytechs I see go for at least 2k have their original box, wrapping, manuals and are either NIB unfired or low low round count pristine.

Yours looks like shooter/field condition which I would have no idea a good number/value.

#5 ·
There is a Hobby paint remover I used to use, when custom painting HO trains. It cost about $18-$20 a bottle. Apply it with a tooth brush and wait about 10-20min. It is designed for plastic.
Scalecoat II Wash Away Paint Remover- S56. Walther's Trains usually sells it. A little goes a long way.

#9 ·
I picked this up a couple of years ago from a bundle sale (take all or take none) from an old family friend and this was part of it (who only shot his hunting rifles/shotguns). While it's neat, I'm more into the modernized/zoomer style AKs that I can throw in the dirt and not feel as bad about, so I'm contemplating trading/selling off this polytech to put it towards something more my style.

Can someone help me gather more info on it? Condition wise there's probably been less than 100 rds shot through it and the bakelite pieces seem to have been painted over. Rifle came with 8 or so Chinese mags (flatbacks).

Trying to come up with a fair/accurate sell/trade value for it. View attachment 342145
View attachment 342146
View attachment 342144
View attachment 342147
View attachment 342143
Do not even worry about the paint just get it to my place in San Diego and I will give you the 2k 🙂

#10 ·
See now this is a good idea, if it wasn't going to California.

I probably wouldn't mind even doing a 2 for 1 trade on an AK or even rifle plus cash if you are looking for something a little more rugged less collective.

Polytechs are super reliable rifles but they are very collectible as well because of that, what you have is a really good rifle that usually is stored away.

I would own it to shoot it, but wouldn't change or modify anything as it sits.

#20 ·
Sadley this one is quite rough. The Fiberglass being painted black is a killer for value. The problem is the removal of the paint would probably mar the fiberglass resin finish. I can buy it but it would be a wholesale price and a proper transfer easy for you the seller. Not your fault

#21 ·
Nice rifle, but you can take it to the next level by cleaning the black paint off like said previously. Give the rifle a good wiping down and you could easily get $2750-$3000 for it. Put it on GB and you could possibly get more, but fees are gonna get you. Used good condition Chinese flatback mags are $35 and Polytech chrome followers are $150 thereabout. Just my opinion, hope this helps.

#23 ·
Now you went and did it! The package just increased with the mags not being plain jane flatbacks. The chrome follower polys are going anywhere from 80-120 eack with some asking more. The "made in china" flats 40 each-people pay extra for the stickes though I dont know why. The blueing looks very good on the weapon too.Its a highly desirable Kengs Import 56S-2!!! If you can clean off the black paint off, you got nothing to lose, it will bring $3K to $3.5K easily . You might try taking the panels/ grip and handguards off off and experimenting with diffrent methods too. Maybe soda blasting or just power washing the paint off. People put AK's, see ROBSKI, on youtube through some brutal torture tests. Thrown in mud puddles, water, sand. I dont think a power wash then a very, very thorough cleaning would hurt it much!!! Id remove the bolt/carrier first.GLWS

#24 ·
What makes chrome follower mags so expensive? I bought them for like $10/ea a couple of years ago as part of the bulk sale with the rifle + other stuff
I'll do a bit more research into how to cleanly remove the paint. The $3k figure does seem enticing, but somehow seems a bit high just by a gut feeling (again I have close to zero knowledge about the chinese AK market, so maybe it really can fetch that number but I'm just used to buying WASRs and other low/mid tier AKs for like $1000 lol)

#28 ·
I bought this Polytech DF many years off GB from a guy who was did private contact work in down in Columbia. While it was cool being painted, my OCD kicked in and I took about a week stripping it down back to its original finish….metal, wood and mags. I was shocked to see the condition of the bluing on the receiver, but it did have about 7 layers of paint, so I guess it was well protected. Overall, it turned out beautiful, but part of me wishes I would have left it like it was. Here’s a few before & after pics. Serial #0577 can be seen on the receiver cover of both.

Camouflage Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Trigger

Wood Font Metal Fashion accessory Pattern

Textile Red Wood Shotgun Safety glove

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Webbing

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Camouflage Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Ammunition

#30 ·
I bought this Pokytech DF many years off GB from a guy who was did private contact work in down in Columbia. While it was cool being painted, my OCD kicked in and I took about a week stripping it down back to its original finish….metal, wood and mags. I was shocked to see the condition of the bluing on the receiver, but it did have about 7 layers of paint, so I guess it was well protected. Overall, it turned out beautiful, but part of me wishes I would have left it like it was. Here’s a few before & after pics.

View attachment 342474
View attachment 342479
View attachment 342478
View attachment 342477
View attachment 342475
View attachment 342476
That looks beautiful, both. BUT ORIGINAL YES

#33 ·
Chromed followers have a following no pun intended. Why? Who the hell knows. KFS offered them, the followers, in the catalog way back when 1985. Anyone can have these chromed for a lot less. It’s just not a premium to those knowing. No big deal. I swapped out since they were just laying in a bag for years no make that decades. Never used go figure.

#35 ·
The Poly mags are also missing the cutout at the top to make room for for the full auto sear to sweep by. The Poly mags are non-military and were made for Keng's contract only so much rarer than the millions of Chinese military surplus out there..

The black paint can be forgiven because these rifles were an affordable novelty when they came out so customization was a given. Someone thought the red/orange looked gaudy so they fixed the issue with a rattle can. Who knew the salad days would end so soon and these things would skyrocket in value?

I would remove the stock set and start with the mildest paint remover (70% or 90% rubbing alcohol) and go from there. Use a small section to experiment on to see how the resin reacts so you don't ruin the whole stock. True Bakelite is very chemical resistant but Lord only knows what the "woven cloth reinforced phenolic resin" on your particular rifle really is or what it can tolerate. China is known to cut corners to save money, especially on exports. Don't use sandpaper or abrasives or you will dull the finish.

#36 ·
The Poly mags are also missing the cutout at the top to make room for for the full auto sear to sweep by. The Poly mags are non-military and were made for Keng's contract only so much rarer than the millions of Chinese military surplus out there..

The black paint can be forgiven because these rifles were an affordable novelty when they came out so customization was a given. Someone thought the red/orange looked gaudy so they fixed the issue with a rattle can. Who knew the salad days would end so soon and these things would skyrocket in value?

I would remove the stock set and start with the mildest paint remover (70% or 90% rubbing alcohol) and go from there. Use a small section to experiment on to see how the resin reacts so you don't ruin the whole stock. True Bakelite is very chemical resistant but Lord only knows what the "woven cloth reinforced phenolic resin" on your particular rifle really is or what it can tolerate. China is known to cut corners to save money, especially on exports. Don't use sandpaper or abrasives or you will dull the finish.
Great point on abrasive material being used on the Bakelite. It will definitely dull it.

#37 ·
Hi all,

I took suggestions from comments and DMs as to how to remove the paint. I used some Mineral Spirits paint thinner and it seemed to work fairly well.

Now I suppose to wrap up the discussion, I've included pics of what it looks like now as well as the mags I have with it (7 total instead of the 8 I thought I had). What's the general consensus on the value of the package as is for the rifle + 3 chrome follower flatbacks + 4 regular Chinese flatbacks (with the made in China stickers)? Also have 2 spam cans of corrosive Chinese ammo if that's even worth a damn (1 open and 1 sealed).
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Air gun Everyday carry Wood Gun accessory Shotgun

Gesture Finger Nail Wood Everyday carry

#45 ·
Beautiful 56s-2 rifle now that the Krylon is removed. I have the Norinco version with the VZ-58 style pistol grip. Does yours still have the covert tool/cleaning kit in the stock ? If it's gone good luck finding another.

I imagine the ammo would be worth more as a collectable than to shoot up seeing how no more can be imported commercially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.