AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a couple of years ago from a bundle sale (take all or take none) from an old family friend and this was part of it (who only shot his hunting rifles/shotguns). While it's neat, I'm more into the modernized/zoomer style AKs that I can throw in the dirt and not feel as bad about, so I'm contemplating trading/selling off this polytech to put it towards something more my style.

Can someone help me gather more info on it? Condition wise there's probably been less than 100 rds shot through it and the bakelite pieces seem to have been painted over. Rifle came with 8 or so Chinese mags (flatbacks).

Trying to come up with a fair/accurate sell/trade value for it.
Gas Wood Metal Composite material Bumper

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Rectangle Wood Font Natural material Composite material

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most polytechs are about 2k to 3k (sadly for me because I'm poor).

The flat back magazines are probably Poly tech as well or Norinco so it's about $30 to $65 a magazine as well. A lot of polytechs I see go for at least 2k have their original box, wrapping, manuals and are either NIB unfired or low low round count pristine.

Yours looks like shooter/field condition which I would have no idea a good number/value.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shooter grade 56s-2. From the looks of the mag catch wear, I'd say it's been through many more than 100 rds. Definitely a cool piece.. If you can clean the paint off the bakelite without damaging it, should fetch good coin like mentioned above..👍

·
Registered
331 Posts
Shooter grade 56s-2. From the looks of the mag catch wear, I'd say it's been through many more than 100 rds. Definitely a cool piece.. If you can clean the paint off the bakelite without damaging it, should fetch good coin like mentioned above..👍
There is a Hobby paint remover I used to use, when custom painting HO trains. It cost about $18-$20 a bottle. Apply it with a tooth brush and wait about 10-20min. It is designed for plastic.
Scalecoat II Wash Away Paint Remover- S56. Walther's Trains usually sells it. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if I can (safely) remove the paint do you think around $2k or so w/ the 8 or so mags is a reasonable starting point? Or should it be lower/higher?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I picked this up a couple of years ago from a bundle sale (take all or take none) from an old family friend and this was part of it (who only shot his hunting rifles/shotguns). While it's neat, I'm more into the modernized/zoomer style AKs that I can throw in the dirt and not feel as bad about, so I'm contemplating trading/selling off this polytech to put it towards something more my style.

Can someone help me gather more info on it? Condition wise there's probably been less than 100 rds shot through it and the bakelite pieces seem to have been painted over. Rifle came with 8 or so Chinese mags (flatbacks).

Trying to come up with a fair/accurate sell/trade value for it. View attachment 342145
View attachment 342146
View attachment 342144
View attachment 342147
View attachment 342143
Do not even worry about the paint just get it to my place in San Diego and I will give you the 2k 🙂

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do not even worry about the paint just get it to my place in San Diego and I will give you the 2k 🙂
See now this is a good idea, if it wasn't going to California.

I probably wouldn't mind even doing a 2 for 1 trade on an AK or even rifle plus cash if you are looking for something a little more rugged less collective.

Polytechs are super reliable rifles but they are very collectible as well because of that, what you have is a really good rifle that usually is stored away.

I would own it to shoot it, but wouldn't change or modify anything as it sits.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if I can (safely) remove the paint do you think around $2k or so w/ the 8 or so mags is a reasonable starting point? Or should it be lower/higher?
I would say start at a little above 2k.
It's not like your losing any money, just because of the amount of stuff it comes with and it's condition, around 2k is a good starting point for any manufacturer that good/rare, kind of like your field grade Izmashs, Hungarian ,some Romy rifles, Bulgarian or Polish etc

Just be ready for negotiations

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can get more for it than that. Ive not seen a S2 go for less than 3K in a long time-shooter grade??? or not!. Removal of the paint IS critical though as bargain hunters will use that against you. Clean it up and you'll get $3K for it in this market all day long especially with 8 flatbacks!!!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
You can get more for it than that. Ive not seen a S2 go for less than 3K in a long time-shooter grade??? or not!. Removal of the paint IS critical though as bargain hunters will use that against you. Clean it up and you'll get $3K for it in this market all day long especially with 8 flatbacks!!!
I agree also. That bakelite furniture is quite uncommon and desirable. You can always lower the price if it doesn't move. If you list it low, it might get snapped up and flipped right away.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sadley this one is quite rough. The Fiberglass being painted black is a killer for value. The problem is the removal of the paint would probably mar the fiberglass resin finish. I can buy it but it would be a wholesale price and a proper transfer easy for you the seller. Not your fault

1 - 20 of 47 Posts