AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's "To Each His Own" when it comes to looks... but I just don't like the looks of the bakelites... I can almost deal with the waffles, but only on a rifle with poly furniture (of which I'm also not a fan). I'm a traditional metal kinda guy... but other than the possibility of rusting, is there a reason that poly mags, in particular Bulgarian Waffles and assorted bakelites are so popular?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I kinda like a few polys for packing in a gun case, so the gun doesn't get scratched up. A lot of cases have seperate mag pockets, but for a 'suitcase' type carry, they (plastics) can snuggle up to your Favorite Folder & not scuff it up...Otherwise I like the Steely's just fine.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When I go out into the desert I will never consider taking steel mags with me, they rust like you wouldn't believe if the temp is over 70 degrees, and they are damn heavy.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
What WarBaby said...lighter weight, corrosion resistant, abuse resistant tough...personally I like their looks...I keep steel and poly and bakelites around for all my ak's.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The problem with steel mags is that a hard impact will leave a dent or deformation that can cuase functional problems. Most of the poly mags will absorb the impact with no deformation.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have noticed that some of the poly mags have steel followers, and others have poly followers. There are good and bad poly followers -- I had a polish one which had the front of the follower bending up from decades of spring pressure. Seems like a good place for steel.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy Resurrected Thread, Batman!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Information is still just as pertinant.

·
Registered
750 Posts
BrotherJethro said:
I have noticed that some of the poly mags have steel followers, and others have poly followers. There are good and bad poly followers -- I had a polish one which had the front of the follower bending up from decades of spring pressure. Seems like a good place for steel.
Very common issue with the poly followers in the 7.62 polish poly mags. I switched mine out with us made kvar poly followers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts