AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got around to getting the charging handle on my SAR-1 polished. It had some pretty bad machining marks on it and I could never get it to look right. So I took it down to the local Jewelry guy in town and in about 5 minutes he had that thing looking good, and on top of all that he didn't charge me anything.
Its nice being in a small town where people still do nice things for each other.
Here are some pics...

My hat is off to you guys who can actually take some good photos of your rifles. I found it alot harder then I thought it would be.

Now I'm going to try and save some cash to get this baby re-finished. What do you all recommend for a nice finish?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
DON'T REFINISH!

That thing looks FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

Is it pre ban?

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Beautiful SAR 1!It looks great the way it is but if you're bound and determined to re-finish it,I'd recommend Dura Coat or something similar over the original park.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2001, so I believe that would make it a Post ban?

I had the barrell threaded, and Missouri Custom Armament installed the Muzzle break and the pins to hold it on.

Refinishing it has always been in the back of my mind, but I wasn't sure what to go with. I just want to restore it to a factory new look. The finish now is in pretty good shape, so I may just hold off.

Johno you mentioned that the original finish is Park. If I wanted to get it refinished in the future could I just get it re-parked? Or would the Dura Coat adhere better to the original park finish?

I love the rifle, and I've had zero problems with it what so ever. The best thing is taking it to the range and watching everyone stare at you. Or to show it to your AR friends and watch their jaws drop when I show them how simple the design is. I had one guy approach me at the range and tell me it's illegal to have a an AK. I just smiled and told him he better puts some earplugs in because I'm about to bump fire.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Dang, it looked like it had the bayo lug still...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Q-gunner2 said:
Dang, it looked like it had the bayo lug still...
Sorry :neutral:

Quick newbie question.... Would having a Bayo lug increase the value? Or just the Evil Rifle Factor?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
If it has a bayo lug, it either is pre-ban or was modified by someone else.

Generally, though, it does increase the value.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Paint over park is a great combination,it basically weather proofs the exterior.Adding the bayonet lug would entail changing out the gas block,it would probably increase the value but it would definately increase the "Evil Rifle Factor".

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info...

I thought the Bayo Lug was at the Front Sight Base? Because the Gas Block is unmodified... Maybe I'm just uneducated? Some pics it looks like the Bayonet hooks to the Front sight base and some to the Gas Block and the Front sight base.

Hell I just want my Ak to look good, and shoot whatever I feed it. But having a Bayonet on the end would be fun, I could shoot the target then run full sprint and stick it with the Bayonet and scream, and then run to my car and peel off. That would make the people at the Shooting range happy. (That was a joke for everyone that doesn't know me)

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
If it weren't for the fact I would get kicked off the range, I would charge and bayonet my target after bumping... it looks cool cause it's a folding spike. :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
If it has a bayo lug, it either is pre-ban or was modified by someone else.

Generally, though, it does increase the value.

There were no pre-ban SAR-1's. I don't see any bayonet lug.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Usually, rifles that have the bayo lugs removed also do not have the cleaning rod attatchment (as the bayo mount is on the rod retainer). That rifle has the cleaning rod.

Also, the pistol grip is wood, and he asked if he should refinish it. I assumed he meant the gun in total, meaning he hadn't refinished it before, meaning the wood was all original, suggesting pre ban.

I do not know much about SARs, have shot them but thats pretty much it, I am more of a Chinese guy.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info MAK.

The part on the gas tube hasn't been altered (I don't think) but after looking at some pictures it looks like the front part has the bayonet attachment removed.

I re-finished the wood myself and was inquiring about getting the metal re-finished. I will do it one day, but I wanted to maintain a factory look so I wasn't sure what finish to go with.

Thanks for all of the comments and info on my SAR, its always fun to learn about something new.

(Now I just need some damn ammo.....)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I did mine as well on my last build. Those Romy carriers aren't exactly flawless under the finish, took me a little time as well. Nice SAR by the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts