AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So whats the story here? are we gonna see more flood the market to bring these inflated prices down? or i should have bought one when i had the chance for a reasonable price of around $400...
I mean i can buy one at my local gun store for 650 and thats with a non-chrome lined barrel. But if i know that more are on the way ill just wait it out... Whats the opinion and or truth here?????

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If I was a betting man I would say as far as wz88 goes I'd venture to say no more in any kind of numbers.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I will have to find the source but I read a two part article in Small Arms Review about Polish AK development and production. That article states an exact number of Tantals that were produced and that number was surprisingly small, and I believe it further stated that a few were sold to military users and all the rest were shipped to the U.S. for parts kits. I will look for this article and verify that the way I remember it is actually what it says. The Tantal was superseded quickly by the 5.56 AK variant when Poland joined NATO in the 90s. I will find my source tomorrow and come back and up date this post if needed, at least with the production numbers.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I never warmed up to the Tantals. When they were $400 they had FUBAR barrels courtesy of Century and by the time it was acknowledged and fixed the price was too high for a Century rifle

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Only 25,000 were built over the years. A lot were sent to Iraq by Poland, so there's no telling exactly how many made their way into the US. I'd stay away from a century built one with non-chrome, there's some kits on GB with original kits for that price or a little more, I'd rather buy and build one of those. I believe I got my kit 9 months ago for about 550. It's doubtful more kits will find their way into the country.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Interarms is about the best way to go for a well built Tantal if you don't want to build one yourself. I wanted to add a quality Tantal to the collection so I'm having Mario at POHF build one for me with original military barrel and optics rail.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Tantals were definitely not used much. I can't even find many training photos. I've been trying find some on the rifle grenade launching. Also except for mags most of the parts out there seems to be like new.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Production history of the WZ88 Tantal from the factory web site

Interesting bit of data about the production history of the WZ88 Tantal from the factory web site. It appears the there were never very many Tantals produced at Radom, only about 20,000::

http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/?d=156

A tight control kept on licensed AK/AKM development and export by the Soviets made for a bold decision taken in the late 1970s, when another generation of Kalashnikov rifles, the 5.45 mm x 39 AK-74, was offered to all Warsaw Pact countries. Poland, Czech Republic and Rumania opted to design their own rifles instead of buying another license – in a bid to avoid both the outrageous price tag and tightening of the Soviet control over their respective small arms production capability. The new rifle was created within a project code-named ‘Tantal’, and the first prototype was ready as early as 1981. During the Martial Law period (1981-83) the development of the new rifle was interrupted and only reinstated in 1986, when rifle was radically redesigned. In 1988 it was type-certified, and introduced into the inventory of the Polish Army in 1989 as ‘5.45 mm kbk wz.88’, but still popularly known as the ‘Tantal’ rifle. A year later its compact variant, the ‘subkarabinek wz.89’ code-named ‘Onyx’ followed suit, but was never mass-produced – the total number of the onyxes never exceeded 200 and they were all marked with “OBR-“ prefixed R&D serial numbers. The Tantal manufacturing commenced in 1990, but soon the political changes, fall of Communism and Warsaw pact, spelled the doom for all weapons chambered in Soviet calibers, condemning them to the fate of a mere stepping stones in Polish small arms history.

In 1992 export variants of the Tantal and onyx, chambered in 5.56 mm x 45 NATO were made, but nobody needed them then. Fortunately they were around in 1996, when a decision was announced to welcome Poland into the NATO as of 1999. The manufacture of the Tantal was halted after some 20000 were made, and a new project code-named ‘Beryl’ was commenced in order to re-arm Polish Army with 5.56 mm rifles: the wz.96 assault rifle and wz.96 automatic carbine. Both are still being manufactured and now constitute the backbone of the Polish Army individual weapons inventory, both at home and in overseas missions.

What I know first hand is that when we bought the last batch of WZ.88 TANTAL kits there were no more available from the importer and no more were going to come from overseas.
When I sell out of what remains in stock I do not expect to have any more.
I do still have a good supply of the bipods!

Richard

·
1,092 Posts
Now is better than later, buy an original bbl, numbers matching kit and build/have it built. Both of mine are very accurate and the break does a good job of taming what little recoil the 5.45 round has even on FA (one of mine is a post sample).

I know one thing for sure, there will never be tantal parts kits imported with the original bbl ever again, that being said the kits out there will only gain value.

Justin

·
Banned
150 Posts
I found an numbers matching/original barrel Interarms Tantal on another forum for $800--picked it up on the 7th and took it shooting yesterday. the brake is very effective and i'm very pleased with the rifle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I picked up a kit a while back, as I am a big fan of Polish arsenal weapons, and have always wondered how it stood up to the AK74 brake design. I figured that because the Tantal does not have the 3 upper holes along the top of the brake, or the crescent moon/zigzag slits to push sound away, it may louder with increased muzzle rise compared to the Russian design.

Maybe longer brake with recessed threads exert themselves in some way I am not aware of. I have always wondered why the Pols chose the design they did for their brake.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I picked up a kit a while back, as I am a big fan of Polish arsenal weapons, and have always wondered how it stood up to the AK74 brake design. I figured that because the Tantal does not have the 3 upper holes along the top of the brake, or the crescent moon/zigzag slits to push sound away, it may louder with increased muzzle rise compared to the Russian design.

Maybe longer brake with recessed threads exert themselves in some way I am not aware of. I have always wondered why the Pols chose the design they did for their brake.
I was wondering that as well.
My thought is they chose it for grenade launching purposes.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I was wondering that as well.
My thought is they chose it for grenade launching purposes.
From my reading, the army brass over there wanted rifle grenades (bullet trap type) even though they already had their pallad under-barrel launcher. So the long muzzle device for grenade launching was just for pleasing the higher ups.
That's probably why you almost never see a picture of a rifle grenade mounted.

·
Registered
862 Posts
From my reading, the army brass over there wanted rifle grenades (bullet trap type) even though they already had their pallad under-barrel launcher. So the long muzzle device for grenade launching was just for pleasing the higher ups.
That's probably why you almost never see a picture of a rifle grenade mounted.
That makes perfect sense now.
Typical of the top brass to resist change. We've seen that with some of our own weapons - fielding outdated bolt actions where there were better designs.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
That makes perfect sense now.
Typical of the top brass to resist change. We've seen that with some of our own weapons - fielding outdated bolt actions where there were better designs.
The Poles still used their grenade launcher AK47s for quite a while, to shoot rifle grenades.. Even well into the 5.56 era. A friend also shot rifle grenades off of a Mini Beryl in Poland (did not have nice things to say).

It was 1999-2000 ish, but the Polish soldiers that I saw in Kosovo were armed with the Beryl, as well as AKMs with Palad GLs... Not bare AKMs, but they seemed to be kept just for the GL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts