AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at getting a 5.45 bc the ammo is so cheap. Guy at the local pawn shop has a few Polish Tantals for $500 even. Wondering if thats a good price for those and how the quality is overall. Not sure who built them, Ill ask him tomorrow.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If they are from Century, beware of undersize barrels that will not stabilize bullets.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barrelburner said:
If they are from Century, beware of undersize barrels that will not stabilize bullets.
1. Beware of Century...CHECK.

Anything else? Are all the Century builds that way? Any way to tell if the bbl is undersized or not? I guess a good set of calipers is the answer to that one. What's the correct bbl diameter?

·
Registered
736 Posts
thirdeye said:
Barrelburner said:
1. Beware of Century...CHECK.

Anything else? Are all the Century builds that way? Any way to tell if the bbl is undersized or not? I guess a good set of calipers is the answer to that one. What's the correct bbl diameter?
You can take the brake off and insert the bullet end of a cartridge into the muzzle. If it swallows the bullet up, don't buy.

Tantals by Interarms are supposedly GTG.

And I should have said 'oversized' barrels.

Century is supposedly using 5.56/.224 caliber barrels. 5.45 ammo is several thousandths of an inch smaller, like .221 or so.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
New Interarms Tantals are not good to go.

A member on here bought one a few weeks ago and posted pics... and even called Interarms CS to ask about it. The rear trunnion rivets are not properly formed (they don't even press the rivet to a head!) and they had a few other QC issues. The sad part is, they said all rear rivets on their newer Tantal builds are like that.

So... check the barrel if it is a Century and check the rear trunnion rivets if it is anything else.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got lucky bought a Century build and it has been flawless.Shoots great no keyholeing at all.Very accurate at least with Bulgy surplus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did the bullet test on a century Tantal I bought on impulse, it failed, sad b/c it sure was real purty. It was returned to the shop for a cash refund. There brls are not to spec at all, much larger bore than our SAR2 and this Bulgy AK74 I checked as well.

Green Mountain barrel company gave them Century tantal brls 6 very thin grooves instead of the 4 deep grooves a AK-74 barrel is supposed to have.

Yea, I think that its Interarms that made them with the original brls. Def. worth the extra few dollars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bobehud said:
I got lucky bought a Century build and it has been flawless.Shoots great no keyholeing at all.Very accurate at least with Bulgy surplus.
Ditto

even works when its hot.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'm the member Q was refering to....the post was titled "interarms tantal advice needed ASAP".

The 2 rear trunnion rivets on the right side don't have the correct head shape like the rest of the rivets on the rifle.

Also CHECK THE MUZZLE CROWN, remove the brake and check if the crown is intact. The first rifle the muzzle was chipped/pitted and was sent back. the second one was also, and it too was returned.

Last monday I took this one (#3) to the range for a function check and wound up with a stuck firing pin due to pierced primers on some wolf 70 gr. MC. The FP was apparently piercing the primer which then flowed a small chip of brass onto the FP that then came off inside the bolt resulting in a stuck FP. I think I titled that one "more Tantal troubles". But it may have been a bad batch of Wolf ammo. I'll know in a few days as I picked up some Bulgy surplus at the Indy 1500 show over the weekend.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
56type said:
I'm the member Q was refering to....the post was titled "interarms tantal advice needed ASAP".

The 2 rear trunnion rivets on the right side don't have the correct head shape like the rest of the rivets on the rifle.

Also CHECK THE MUZZLE CROWN, remove the brake and check if the crown is intact. The first rifle the muzzle was chipped/pitted and was sent back. the second one was also, and it too was returned.

Last monday I took this one (#3) to the range for a function check and wound up with a stuck firing pin due to pierced primers on some wolf 70 gr. MC. The FP was apparently piercing the primer which then flowed a small chip of brass onto the FP that then came off inside the bolt resulting in a stuck FP. I think I titled that one "more Tantal troubles". But it may have been a bad batch of Wolf ammo. I'll know in a few days as I picked up some Bulgy surplus at the Indy 1500 show over the weekend.

Good Luck.
I bought an Interarms New about a year and a half ago and it is flawless! I have never heard of any problems with them except for what you stated! I am not sure about there recent builds but the old ones are built very well! Mine even came with the casing they used to test fire it at the builder and a hand written inspection card! I think they were built by High Standard IIRC! I would not bother with a Century unless it has the original barrel!

T

T :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts