·
Registered
2,497 Posts
No it is not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think so either. 5.45 steel seems to be fairly tough to find. I am thinking long term the value may increase more.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I think very long term, the 5.45 steel will remain serviceable when the polymer mags will not.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had a few FTF's with the Polish mags, they sit quite a bit lower in the magwell and if your shooting short rounds you can have issues. I had a case of Wolf 55 GR hollow points that have a very short bullet and I had some feeding issues using the Polish steel mags, no issues with Bulgarian.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
I've had a few FTF's with the Polish mags, they sit quite a bit lower in the magwell and if your shooting short rounds you can have issues. I had a case of Wolf 55 GR hollow points that have a very short bullet and I had some feeding issues using the Polish steel mags, no issues with Bulgarian.
What kind of rifle where you having problems with the Polish steel mags in? Was it more an issue of the short ammo or the mag?

To be fair to the Polish Steel mags, the Poles never took out a license from the Soviets when they developed their 5.45 Tantal rifles and basically reversed engineered to their needs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What kind of rifle where you having problems with the Polish steel mags in? Was it more an issue of the short ammo or the mag?

To be fair to the Polish Steel mags, the Poles never took out a license from the Soviets when they developed their 5.45 Tantal rifles and basically reversed engineered to their needs.
It was an SGL 31, and I only had issues with the short hollow point bullets. I did examine the issue, and the problem I think really wasn't so much the position of how it sits in the magwell necessarily, but more of an issue of how the rounds are stripped from the magazine.

When a round is stripped out of a Bulgarian mag the round is directed from the side of the mag towards center of barrel chamber as all double stack mags do. The Polish mags direct the round from side of mag toward chamber also, but at a greater angle. With the short bullets there is more travel before the round enters the chamber, and it gave enough distance\angle for the bullet to actually wedge on the breech face on the opposite side from which the bullet was being stripped out of the magazine.

So with a standard length round I don't think it's much of an issue as the tip of the bullet will enter the chamber sooner, and I have fired a lot of standard length rounds in the Polish mags without issue, but the Bulgarian mags are a bit better designed in my opinion, because the feed angle is better from my what I saw, and I did experiment with several different mags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts