AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I really hope Collector's Source DFW does another run of the RMP5. Be sure to email her with your interest.... I did. Other rails I've gotten from Collector's Source were really nice, and I have no doubt their RMP5s are as well.

The 1961 to 1978 dates are confusing. What went on Polish night fighting AKM's after 1978? The Poles continued to build AKMs well into the 80's at least. I do believe I've seen pictures of Polish AKM's with NSPU's or NSPUM's - which I believe were not fielded until the 80's (that sound right?) Now sure they could just stick new optics on older rifles, but it seems like they were issued as a serial numbered weapon system of rifle and optic.....

Waiting for definitive answer from Tantal ;)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Also, a sort of related question? Why do I see Tantals a lot with the fairly old NSP-3, while sometimes I see Polish AKM's with the later NSPU's? Mysterious mysteries.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thats because AKM are still in line, Tantals+NSP3 never
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank You Shifty.

Are the AKM's mostly for training use in Poland now? I see pictures of AKMs and Polish troopers in modern uniform, but it seems to be training events / training units from what I can tell.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thats polish reality
Cool.

I only ever worked with Polish "Expeditionary" forces. Well also a couple of Polish Officers in Germany for a month, but they didn't bring weapons.

OP.... Sorry for the mad thread creep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kristine from Collectors Source emailed me back saying that there may be another run of RMP5's at the beginning of the year and the price will be approximately $100. Please email her if interested.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Also, a sort of related question? Why do I see Tantals a lot with the fairly old NSP-3, while sometimes I see Polish AKM's with the later NSPU's? Mysterious mysteries.
It's a matter of timeline. The Poles never actually made the NSPU/NSPUM's in country, like they did with the NSP-2 and NSP-3A. The few NSPU's you might see mounted on Polish rifles were imported in small quantities from Russia, and usually have Russian markings. These were imported well before they had a need for new sets of night vision scopes suitable for the new 5,45mm Tantal rifles. I don't guess they ever got a license to produce NSPU's in country, or did not see the need to do so. I guess by that time, circa 1989, all military electro-optical imports from Russia had stopped anyways, so the only option was to adapt the NSP-3A for 5,45mm caliber, since it was in production in Poland already.

They built AKML, AKMSL and later, Wz.88-N rifles with matching-numbered NSP-3A's for several years but that was all over by 1992. Several NV collector friends of mine have bought Polish NSP-3's in the can, with "Tantal Wz.88" nomenclature and rifle serno's stenciled onto them, so they built very small batches in each of those years, since there are known examples dating from '90, '91 and '92. I assume only special forces units might have received these. I'm guessing total production was less than 150 units.

After Polish production of NSP-3A ended in 1992, they went directly to making their own more modernized domestically developed night vision sights for the new 5,56mm rifles. I say directly, but they did make a sort of modified shorty NSP-3M for a while, but I doubt it was ever actually adopted.

Anyway, it's a cool subject!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You are a god among men. Thank You.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
You guys better jump on these!

Shifty, will they be for the Wz.88, AKM, or AKMS?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts