AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered one and it came in to the FFL yesterday. Went today to run NICs and its few days off. Took it apart and nticed it has a large stem bolt as opposed to the thin stem type. What is correct for the factory military issue guns? I thought it was a thin stem like the 5.56 Wz96 model, or is this just a short cut on Atlantics part?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm not sure about correct translation about "thin stem" related to firearms but only military isasue Beryl M 762 is/was for Nigeria.

There is factory manual for Beryl M 762 in the web with pics but some pics are taken from 5,56 Beryl manual.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thin stem meaning akm style bolt vs. thin stem similar to the Beryl 5.56 rifle.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Unless you can find a picture of one of the disassembled Nigerian Beryls, I don't think there's any way to be certain. That said, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they would just keep manufacturing the same parts. Doing it one way of one contract and another for another contract would just cost them money.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Unless you can find a picture of one of the disassembled Nigerian Beryls, I don't think there's any way to be certain. That said, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they would just keep manufacturing the same parts. Doing it one way of one contract and another for another contract would just cost them money.
This. Few manufacturers would be inclined to throw away money to make changes that weren't required by law. Since no country in the world has a thin stem v thick stem bolt law, that I know of, they wouldn't bother changing the design especially when the size of the contract (US guns) is so tiny, all things considered.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This. Few manufacturers would be inclined to throw away money to make changes that weren't required by law. Since no country in the world has a thin stem v thick stem bolt law, that I know of, they wouldn't bother changing the design especially when the size of the contract (US guns) is so tiny, all things considered.
I tend to agree, but lets look at the IO Archer debacle. Between Gen 1 and Gen III, lots of changes. Gen III is true to the Military version sans the select fire function.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
The initial Archer was more of a situation of simplifying the design to save money. In the case of bolt stem size, changing from one to the other would just cost with no financial benefit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The initial Archer was more of a situation of simplifying the design to save money. In the case of bolt stem size, changing from one to the other would just cost with no financial benefit.
Understand that as well. Perhaps I assumed incorrectly that the WZ96 was adapted to the 7.62 with only bolt face changes to accommodate the larger cartridge. Didn't think they would continue using AKM spec bolts, since quite a number of designs are now using the thin stem bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts