1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel
Human body Wood Shotgun Composite material Strap
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

My first AK build finally done! What a journey!
This was for sure no typical build. This is a 1958 Polish Type 3 KBK. It is a parts matching kit, original military threaded barrel, and has a TortTort receiver. I even have a Polish T3 sling and a 1958 circle 11 bayonet to match! Going to get the markings engraved on the receiver once 2 River Arms starts accepting orders again.
But man...this isn’t an AK build I’d recommended doing. The barrel is near impossible to find. Also, a gunsmith who is willing to install a threaded barrel, that already has an extractor cut, is a mission. I really did not want to use a new AK builder barrel. I hunted down an original barrel and I wanted it installed. I must’ve called 7 major US AK gunsmiths and none wanted to take this build. Lewman Arms out of Tampa agreed and man they did a good job! Fit is perfect. They magically got the extractor cut to line up at 12 o’clock while being properly headspaced.
Not only are these barrels are extremely difficult to find and pricey, but I was even lucky enough to get the last in stock T3 receiver from TortTort. This was for sure beginners luck and now I’m in love with AKs!

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Looks gr8

I would recommend you replace the recoil spring for reliable function. Mine gave up pretty quickly upon the first range trip

Enjoy!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nice but with this mag it looks weird.

The sling is wz. 1958, mag could be first pattern flat one and in 1958 the rifle has designation "pmK" not "kbk".

Reactions: Ronborain96

·
Registered
738 Posts
Standard ribbed ones would be also appropriate because old ones/first pattern ones were repalced.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Beautiful. I have an AKN kit of the same vintage.
Been searching for a barrel as well. AKBuilder has threaded barrels. I did find a stub and populated barrel on The GB one time, had to bow out at $550. In my defense, my partner made me do it. Some BS about utilities, IDK.
Anyways,
Always loved Polish laminate. Their hardwood oils up well, too. But Tung oil on Polish laminate is the best.
Now stick an AK Whore sticker on the stock! :)
Nice job!

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks great! Thank you for sharing. I like the SCAR BTW! What caliber is it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
View attachment 311261 View attachment 311262 View attachment 311263
My first AK build finally done! What a journey!
This was for sure no typical build. This is a 1958 Polish Type 3 KBK. It is a parts matching kit, original military threaded barrel, and has a TortTort receiver. I even have a Polish T3 sling and a 1958 circle 11 bayonet to match! Going to get the markings engraved on the receiver once 2 River Arms starts accepting orders again.
But man...this isn’t an AK build I’d recommended doing. The barrel is near impossible to find. Also, a gunsmith who is willing to install a threaded barrel, that already has an extractor cut, is a mission. I really did not want to use a new AK builder barrel. I hunted down an original barrel and I wanted it installed. I must’ve called 7 major US AK gunsmiths and none wanted to take this build. Lewman Arms out of Tampa agreed and man they did a good job! Fit is perfect. They magically got the extractor cut to line up at 12 o’clock while being properly headspaced.
Not only are these barrels are extremely difficult to find and pricey, but I was even lucky enough to get the last in stock T3 receiver from TortTort. This was for sure beginners luck and now I’m in love with AKs!
Nice work Man!!! Looks great! I have never done a milled receiver I am sure I will get into it one of these days though!
it very rewarding getting a project like that done and bringing it out to the range and it working perfectly!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work Man!!! Looks great! I have never done a milled receiver I am sure I will get into it one of these days though!
it very rewarding getting a project like that done and bringing it out to the range and it working perfectly!
Thank you bud! If you can hunt down a kit and barrel I’d say go for it now! These items are getting harder to find every month that goes by

·
Registered
437 Posts
Damn, that's nice! The stamped receivers can be difficult enough for a first time builder, so you were really diving in head first, weren't you? :p I'm really impressed with the rifle, and taking on a milled Polish variation is even more impressive! Well done!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
P
Just a little update. I just noticed that AOA has this kits for sale with an original Polish Type 3 barrel. Highly recommended this build if you can also find the receiver. Very nicely blued and solid AK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts