AK Rifles banner

Polish Fighting Knife ?

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  GPRS 
#1 ·
I ran across this over at Blackswan Antique & Military. Listed as a polish fighting knife. Anyone know if this is a legit piece or something else.

Knife Dagger Hunting knife Blade Bowie knife

Text Font Line Adaptation Screenshot

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks ! Looking at the results from this they run from 68 bucks to over $138.00
Looks like a variation of the old M3 fighting knife. I figured someone on this forum would have an idea what it was.

#5 · (Edited)
I had no clue what it was exactly. I just Googled "Polish trench knife." They appear to be somewhat common and general Polish military issue. The price difference is probably dependant on what gen they are. Rob Ski over at AKOU 47/74 would be a good person to ping for more detailed info. He's ex-Polish INF. He's REALLY cool at getting back w/folks.

Polish AK's are my thing so my Spidey Sense immediately tingled when I saw the post.

EDIT: Upon further discovery it seems the wz.92 is the earlier gen w/the blood groove, and the wz.98 is the later gen in the more conventional trench knife format.

#6 ·
Thanks ! That’s probably the reason for the 100 buck price tag. That particular knife really appeals to me, not sure why, but I like it. I’ve shot Rob a couple of Emails and he’s pretty quick to reply. I may give his a shout on this and see if it’s worth the cash or if I should let it go on down the road.

#10 ·
Thanks ! That’s probably the reason for the 100 buck price tag. That particular knife really appeals to me, not sure why, but I like it. I’ve shot Rob a couple of Emails and he’s pretty quick to reply. I may give his a shout on this and see if it’s worth the cash or if I should let it go on down the road.
They're not uncommon. I've run down quite a few of them online already, some for less, some for more. The wz.98's are substantially cheaper.

It's basically the same blade as a US M3 Trench Knife, IMO about the best all-round fighting knife designed for the US military. That being said, if you'll excuse me I'm going to run and get behind cover before all the K-Bar lovers bring the hate.

#13 ·
100% agreement on the OKC. I ran across one at the surplus store I go to for 65 and change, I’m sure it was mismarked. I haven’t seen one since under a hundred. I’ve never been a huge huge fan of the double edge dagger style knives, I prefer the heavier Bowie style blades. That being said, I do have a soft spot for the M3, I had a repro that I carried around before I went into the Corps. Wasn’t a bad knife and I absolutely used it for stuff it was probably never meant to be used for. I got my money’s worth out of it for sure.

#14 ·
At $65-ish you should've pulled the trigger on it. I think mine was slightly under a hundo by like 2 bucks. You just gotta keep an eye out for the occasional price dip. I rarely take it out but it's a good knife to have, you know... "just in case." .

Bowie style are called "clip point" blades, BTW. My opinion of the M3 is a from a historical standpoint of what was available at the time. I'm actually impartial to "drop point" blades which are very similar to but have a less pronounced false edge like the Bowie. The Kabar and the OKC are considered drop point but some may argue that. My current go-to fixed is a Gerber Strongarm, which is a definite drop point blade. Drop point bridges the gap between clip point and spear tip style.

#16 ·
The knife from first post iz wz. 92 - they are not common in Polish Armed Forces.
Original ones are made by EPDesign.

Later ones called wz. 98 are the civil versions of wz. 92 and are made by Gerlach.
The wz. 98 are marked as 98Z with saw on blade and 98A with dagger blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.