AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two Polishl 5.45 30 round mags, they're both steel. And the both REFUSE to let my WASR2 cycle properly. Seems like the feed lips interfere with the bolt. I ground one down a bit and is better...but still hits a little.

My question is, is this a case of bad mags, a bad gun, or both? The WASR was single stack when I got it. Had the magwell cut out, and the new mags fit OK. When I had it done, I did throw in a mag...but I don't remember what it was (maybe bulgarian plastic). I don't remember if I tried to cycle it.

Before I drop more money on different mags, is this a common problem with these mags and my rifle? Will just buying different mags be fine? Seems harder and harder to find decent AK74 mags right now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may want to borrow a polymer AK-74 mag from a friend before you grind on the steel mags. If I'm not mistaken, not seeing a pic of the mag, those steel mags are for the Polish Tantal. They work in both my Tantal and AK-74 with no problems. If the polymer mag feeds properly I would switch to it instead of the steel mags. I lucked up and found an original Tantal mag a couple years ago and it is flawless although it has seen a lot of service. There are some Polish polymer and steel mags in the country now so you have a choice. Also, though I haven't personally tried any, I have not heard good things about the ProMag AK-74 polymer waffle pattern mags. I am going to have to buy one just to see if their quality control is any better; and to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
very high probability the problem lies with the WASR2 not the mags

·
Registered
754 Posts
The steel polish tantal mags are the only mags that do not work propperly in my broken in WASR-2, they appear to be too slim/loose and just not quite spec for the gun.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My WASR2 functions fine with Polish Tantal, Polymer and Steel, Bulgarian and Russian Polymers, EG bakelites, and Romanian 74 Steel mags too.

When opening up my mag well I did need to relieve the back of the mag well where the mag catch is (besides widening)and the crosspin (center receiver support) needed to be milled back a little too.

You need more mags.
Apex has both Romy 74 $25 and Polish Tantal polymers $15.
https://www.apexgunparts.com/

Romanian 74 mags tend to be the widest for mag well fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts