AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
That's weird, if you notice these bayonets have weird breaking points.. Such that it would mean that they aren't full blades running though the handle... :neutral: Is that how all AK bayonets are?

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
The bayonets are definately breakable - we broke several of the Russian Type II's using them as throwing knives at plywood in Iraq. Those bakelite handles seemed to be prone to cracking/chipping if given some major use. Especially the Type I transitional (bulbous handled) ones. But anymore, bayonets are kind of an aesthetic thing and few militaries really make them like they used to, anyway.

Here's a quick couple of photos to show the "bones" of the bayonet (photo credit to wherever the heck I got the photo):

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Good memory - I think that's actually right. I remember copying it for a reference photo maybe a couple months ago from the internet. Still trying to get a ton of saved reference photos organized. :shotz:

·
Registered
798 Posts
I know this may sound not the smartest but your saying then then AK knives wouldn't make a good SHTF knife, like comparable to a KaBar? :goof:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I chopped up a new pole bayonet and the metal does not extend all the way through, in fact there was very little metal actually inside the bakelite at all. :neutral:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Enoch said:
I chopped up a new pole bayonet and the metal does not extend all the way through, in fact there was very little metal actually inside the bakelite at all. :neutral:
Ill be the first to ask. Why?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well, because I have a couple of mint ones with original hangers and original wrist straps and I wanted to make a custom job with some orange micarta handles and put a nice Polish insignia in the middle. The one I cut up had some chewed up bakelite spots, so i classified it as a junk knife, available for experimentation. After I found that the steel did not go all the way through I scrapped my plans :sad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts