AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing a plum project. I have black Armory USA furniture, but I was thinking that maybe if I mixed purple & black Krylon paint & then do a high gloss polyurethane coating over the paint, I could get a finish similar to this original Russian plum polymer furniture (uploaded by Tantal). Opinions? I wouldn't mind it being a little darker either.
Russian Plum AK Furniture.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love to buy some, but I don't have the $100+ for original Russian or Arsenal. Plus the Arsenal plum kinda looks odd. I wouldn't mind if it didn't turn out to be an exact match, but if it were remotely similar to the furniture pictured, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
No expert here, but I don't think paint or any combination of paints will do what you want. Maybe stain and keep getting it darker until you get what you want. I take it you're working with wood. If polymer, good luck getting the hue, tint, or color you desire. "Remotely similar" relates to 'close to', and as I am witness, that's not always acceptable to the discerning eye. Quite possibly I want things just right for myself. Now if you had a spare set of furniture, you could always offer up a test subject. Right?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Honestly, if you know who to ask you could probably get a complete stock set for under $100. They are very common. Id try doing that. I dont have any advice otherwise, but just sack up and get it done. You wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
half a second searching..... $55 Bulgarian AK74 Plum stock handguards set polymer : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com

Bulgaria never made plum. Thats russian except for the grip...

By the way, the photo you posted is actually a VERY rare prototype set of furniture from tshmishchoshtoshishaishmosh, which unless you have $1,000 or more, you cant even touch the upper hand guard. So dont expect to get that set. Because that just isnt realistic.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Tamiya red translucent polycarbonate spray paint. When sprayed on a black surface, the look is similar to a Tula plum mag. The paint is very durable, being developed for the R/C hobby and is impervious to most solvents.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I'd love to buy some, but I don't have the $100+ for original Russian or Arsenal. Plus the Arsenal plum kinda looks odd. I wouldn't mind if it didn't turn out to be an exact match, but if it were remotely similar to the furniture pictured, I'd be happy.

I say if you want to try paint then do it! Might not work out but you never know if you don't try it.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
and if you don't like how the paint job turns out you can always hit it with acetone and remove said paint...just a thought, try it out, post pics of your results!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Tamiya sounds like a good idea. Have you tried it NACHTJAGER? I'm working with black Polymer. If I were to put on a foreign furniture set, it'd render the gun 922r noncompliant. I eventually want to get a Phoenix Technology stock with the latch on the back for increased storage so I think that once I can get that, I can try the paint out on my current stock

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The Tamiya sounds like a good idea. Have you tried it NACHTJAGER? I'm working with black Polymer. If I were to put on a foreign furniture set, it'd render the gun 922r noncompliant. I eventually want to get a Phoenix Technology stock with the latch on the back for increased storage so I think that once I can get that, I can try the paint out on my current stock
U grip, US FCG, piston and mag floor plate. You want Russian but won't pay for t or swap parts. Hmmm.,?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I have a Russian set on my '74 and a US made set on my Saiga-12. I'd have to look REAL hard to tell a difference between them. NEITHER look anything like the set in the original photo in this post. Have handled the real thing in the wild and they didn't look anything like that either.

Grab a Russian set with a US grip, US FCG and piston. No 922 worries. If you don't want to play the 922 game just grab the US furniture. Guaranteed better results than trying to paint

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
I bought a "Bulgarian" plum set with the salmon grip. Decided I didn't want to have to mess with 922r and went with a KVAR set from a member here. The color was basically identical and I didn't have to switch the piston or worry about whose mags I use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts